Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

Sounds great! I’m 12 days behind you, my final at home PT is tomorrow. Starting outpatient PT Monday, hoping it’s a good transition. Good luck at your surgeon appointment!
 
Sounds great! I’m 12 days behind you, my final at home PT is tomorrow. Starting outpatient PT Monday, hoping it’s a good transition. Good luck at your surgeon appointment!

I'll follow you @RAD and watch your progress. We're close timewise.
 
Last night I had my only good night's sleep since surgery. I've been experimenting with pain meds (I'm only taking oxy for PT) especially at night when the pain is most noticeable. Last night I took a Tramadol 50mg and a sleeping pill Trazadone 100mg and slept all through the night. Woke up with a stiff knee but finally rested. Back on my 2 Tylenol extra strengths 3 times during the day. I don't think they help at all but could be just me. Icing constantly and resting with the cat. Serious lack of energy but probably we're all in the same boat. Trying to be patient and accept the acute boredom during this time. Somewhat concerned about overeating but decided not to add that issues to the mix, not weighing myself until I'm over the hump of the TKR and can revisit what I'm eating and eating and eating.
 
I've been experimenting with pain meds (I'm only taking oxy for PT
Please don't take pain meds especially so you can get through PT. Why not?
  • PT shouldn't hurt. If it does, it's bad PT and that's worse than no PT.
  • Taking pain meds prior to PT will dull your perception of pain.
  • Pain is a warning that you are doing too much for your knee.
  • If you've dulled your perception of pain, you may miss the warning it gives and then you could irritate and inflame your knee. That's counter-productive because it will make your knee swell more.

Discomfort during PT is OK, but it shouldn't escalate to pain. remember this:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist (PT) - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
 
One good night's sleep mean more are coming! (though maybe not all at once)

What I did was keep to a schedule on pain meds but stretch the time between doses as I found I could go longer between doses. That's pretty much what my OS said to do and it worked well for me. That way I wasn't taking the meds "in order to" do PT, but I was able to do PT (and daily activities) because the pain was generally managed.
 
You're right @kneeper last night was horrible. Big knife like pain on the inside of the knee. I've done bit too much today so I'm busy icing, I notice most of my energy is first thing in the morning (regardless of how I slept) and it's hard to rein it in. Back to the oxy, my PT person is knowledgeable, kind and a no pusher. I've been thinking why do I take oxy before my hour with him and I think it's because I'm not taking oxy any other time and I'm trying to a) stretch it out and b) make sure I'm comfortable for the appointments. I don't have any extra swelling after being with him in fact feel all lubed and more comfortable than before. I'm really trying to find the balance of meds and activity and I guess it's a work in progress, and maybe that balance changes day to day and I'd better get used to it. Tylenol 6 hourly is not hitting the pain, maybe it's taking the edge off it - icing helps more I find.

Tomorrow first surgeon appointment. Hoping he'll clear me to bathe (I love to soak), I want to get a copy of my surgical report (to send to an ortho doctor friend in another city), and maybe another oxy script. Just in case. And I'm anxious to see my x-ray. I'll take a pic. Does everyone's look different?
 
Well, the tkr xrays generally look fairly similar but I know I found mine fascinating. :)

It sounds like you've got a pretty good system going. It wouldn't hurt to ask your surgeon tomorrow about how to make the most of the tylenol and oxy. Basically how to time your doses to best effect.
 
Will add that to my list. Thank you.
 
Good luck with your appointment! My sleep isn’t straight through but improving. Just taking Tylenol for pain and taking one Benadryl for a little assist with sleep.
 
I'll try Benadryl tonight. Read it was bad for restless leg syndrome so was avoiding. Seem to be over restless leg, so here goes. Thanks!
 
Hope it helps! Just make sure it doesn’t interact with anything else you’re taking. Sweet Dreams!
 
@RAD horrible night. Think I slept on my side with good leg resting on that sore side inner knee. Woke at 2, awake till 4. I have ice packs in a insulated bag right in the bedroom so used one and 2 tylenols. It's settling down now. That inner knee thing is the most painful part these days. Another question today for OS, what is it?
 
I was always a side sleeper until this surgery. After surgery I slept on my back with my surgical leg up on the foam elevator they sent home with me from the hospital. I never would have thought I’d adjust but I did, and quickly.

I have a different style foam wedge, it actually has a trough for my leg, and has been an excellent design for me as it kept me still all night, giving my leg the quiet rest it needed.
 
That sounds like something I could use.
 
Last edited:
Oh no, sorry to hear that. My PT told me to sleep on my side with the good leg on the bottom, a pillow over it and the operated leg on top of the pillow. It’s been working pretty well.
 
Finishing up PT. Icing, nice. Flexion is 120, extension +4 - a result of last night's misadventure/debacle. It's swollen. Off to surgery appointment with list of queries. Will update later in the day.
 
@RAD your sleeping arrangement sounds perfect and I'll try it tonight but I've been moving all the time trying to get the perfect sweet sleep spot. Haven't found it yet and open to all suggestions.
 
I end up going back and forth between the side position with the pillow and being on my back. Only shifted a few times last night though. Small improvements every day! All the best at your dr appointment.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom