Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

Hello
I'm right at the 6 month mark, and when asked I say I'm 98% good, truth is I'm 100% but hedging my bets just in case I need to complain at some point - specially to my long suffering husband. I'm back to Europe in December, Copenhagen - my favorite - it'll be freezing cold but still fabulous.

Best news is I'm back to wearing jeans. Was confined to sweats because the scar was a little sensitive with the denim rub or tight pants. I was fine with sweats but have been back in jeans for the past few days with zero ill effect.

I'm so happy with my new, strong knee and thankful for all the help I had from this forum and friends throughout the journey (don't want to say ordeal). Not a fan of the idea of subjecting righty to the same surgery as recovered and renewed lefty but I know I'll be back here before too long... can feel those twinges especially with an unexpected pivot....
 
Congrats on 6 months! I’ll be there on the 15th. I’ve been doing really well too. Hope you have a wonderful time in Copenhagen!
 
Thanks @RAD just checking in, everything going well, hope same for you!
 
Hi @Benay! Glad to hear you’re doing so well. I’ve doing well too, but my right knee flares up and the writing is probably on the wall for a RTKR, but I can’t go there yet... Happy and Healthy New Year!
 
Same to you! I have some scribble on the wall too but trying to ignore. Stay in touch, and happy New Decade to us all.
 
This forum was such a help for me in the first few weeks of recovery - I'm now a year out and I think I was lucky to have a fast and relatively uneventful post op experience, helped by all my surgery contemporaries here on this forum and the wise moderators who, I feel sure, have seen most or all of our experiences so many times before.

Two or three months ago I began to feel pain in the operated knee, and after a month or so I wanted/needed to walk foot over foot going down stairs, getting up from a low seat really painful - just a horrible backslide. I came back to the forum to see if it would shed any light on my symptoms, crossing fingers it was due to the really hard Pilates Reformer class I'd done. I actually was concerned there could be deterioration in the components because I'd been super active really without any consideration for that probably still healing knee. Part of me didn't want to know because if there was it would seem revision would be the recourse. I toyed with the idea of posting here but realized a trip to the surgeon was the only sensible option and that's probably what the forum response would be and I was looking for someone to say, don't worry nothing wrong.

I called, he took me the next day (hazmat suited). Xray looked fine, hurrah. I felt I could cope with anything but component issues. He poked one spot, exactly where the source of the pain was - knee bursitis. 3 options, PT, a course of anti inflammatories, or a cortisone shot. Easy choice, the quick fix. The response has been so good, no problem with stairs, pain effectively gone. I feel relief and so lucky.

I'm back doing strengthening exercise and stretches but I'm mindful of that knee. I think I have to accept that although I have a fully functioning knee it'll never be the same as it was when I was in my 20s. I remember I'd heard that wise nugget before but had dismissed it because it wasn't part of my expectation.

Hope you're all doing well, I post this because maybe it'll help another friend. I searched for knee bursitis on the site but very limited info.

I send you all my best wishes!
 
Last edited:
@Benay - Thank you for your positive and encouraging update. It's good to hear how well you're doing now. That will help people who are still struggling in early recovery.

I have merged your post with your original recovery thread, as it makes a good ending to your recovery story, and because we do prefer people to only have one recovery thread.
 
I'm post op as of May 2019 and I rarely think about the knee on a day to day basis but last night was surprised to note last night that most of the numbness has gone. At least 90% of it. I wasn't sure that was ever going to happen and either way wasn't an issue but it's good to have the feeling back. I remember @Jockette saying much the same thing.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Benay
Thanks for the great up date, glad to hear you are doing well, and the numbness is gone :yay: .

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you. I'd lost track of how to find my thread and finally bookmarked it.
 
Back
Top Bottom