Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

Same, you're 3 weeks ahead of me. About to read your thread!
 
First outside PT today. He was really knowledgeable, helpful and supportive. I've got 18 sessions - will be going twice a week. Right now it's back to bed after the unaccustomed activity. Flexion was 110 and the other +8 which is up from a few days back. Probably there will be variations for whatever reason. First surgeon's appointment is Friday. So interested to see the x-rays - I was told they'll do them. Only 2 steristrips are left on the incision - milestones.
I love this site because, amongst other reasons, it's is like a personal recovery journal.
 
Probably there will be variations for whatever reason.
Your swelling will vary depending on your activity which will vary your ROM. Don’t worry about it.
 
Love reading your thread! My surgery was May 6 - such a different process - no attached pain ball, no staples. Had my shower on my first morning home - its a godsend to stand for a bit under the warm water everyday!! Really struggling with my flexion and extension though so I interesting to hear it moves around up and down. Did get back to 90 today so a big victory for me. Also dropped Oxy on saturday - can't stand that stuff and have taken Tramadol as my primary meds - feeling better since stopping. Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring me!!
 
So nice to read your comments, now I'm following you! We are close in the recovery process. I alternate between optimism and boredom, constantly reminding myself it's early days yet. Want to fast forward to the 3 month mark.
 
Here I am again, been just a couple of days - I've been heavily researching Restless Leg Syndrome and experimenting with ways to combat. I'm hoping and actually convinced it's a temporary blip. Primary care prescribed a low dose Parkinsons med which I don't want to take having checked the horrendous side effects. I don't want to swap one problem for a bunch more (compulsive gambling - prefer not to). I'm taking a 50 mg Tramadol before bed which so far has worked. Tonight I want to see if the RLS has resolved itself or it is the Tramadol masking. I'm planning to ask for a muscle relaxant if the problem persists I think it is less invasive and might just do the trick. Thought I had my first surgeon appointment today but when I checked the date it's next week. Good thing otherwise would have happily shown up.

Planning on first time behind the wheel today - husband wants to copilot this first time so have to wait until he finishes tennis. Going to go to Trader Joes and load up on the bits I like and am out of. I'm feeling so much more energetic especially today - have even been into the garden early morning clearing up the fallen leaves. This is my 3rd week anniversary of the surgery, so I'm going into my 4th. Here's to lots of improvement and no more bumps in the road. Thanks for all being there - I catch up on all the threads first thing in the morning and sometimes even during the night. Don't always comment but with you all in spirit.
 
@julieskan , Wow, you went to the grocery store at 3 weeks! I still haven't been to the store since surgery :heehee: My husband has been doing the shopping but I am eager to take that task back. He keeps coming home with donut holes, ice cream, cookies... stuff I really don't need to be tempted with!

I wanted to comment on the RLS. I still am bothered by it sometimes, unfortunately, and I am 9 weeks out. It's gotten better, but I still have a couple of nights when I can't stop thrashing around. I was taking iron supplements which helped but it was not doing my stomach any good, so I cut back. I wouldn't be keen on trying what the doc prescribed either. I used to jump into the shower when it got really bad and that helped a lot. I guess the heating pad is the same concept. Who takes a shower at 2 a.m.? Me :rofsign:
 
22 days post op and have spent the last 2 days totally exhausted for no reason I can see. Spending this time resting, elevating and icing. The exhaustion came for no apparent reason but it's very tough to cope with. Might be disturbed sleep finally catching up with me. There's no increase in knee pain I'm just without any energy whatsoever.
 
I have no energy and I’m 4 weeks out. I still take a 2-4 hour nap everyday. I had my first RTKR 16 weeks out my body is taking everything I have and putting it towards my knees. Listen to your body
 
22 days post op and have spent the last 2 days totally exhausted for no reason I can see
There is a very good reason you are exhausted, it’s called the Energy Drain that comes after a very tough surgery that causes a lot of trauma to your knee/leg.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/
Read the whole article as it mentions bilateral in the beginning, then talks about a single replacement.

You can’t see it because it’s invisible, but dramatic healing is going on inside you.

Be prepared to do a lot of resting because this energy drain is going to go on for a while.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: RAD
At less than a month out I was still napping every afternoon. This surgery knocks the stuffing out of you.
 
I'm just dying to be normal again. Stir crazy, love my life but not this one.
 
I couldn’t agree with you more. This life is so not my life. I’m cleared to start working from home in another week, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to stay awake to finish answering an email. Sigh.
 
I changed my profile pic. Thought my poor long suffering cat deserved to be showcased.
 
Last edited:
I'm just dying to be normal again. Stir crazy, love my life but not this one.
Oh, you'll get there. It's just that most doctors don't prepare us for the long recovery. I was lucky, my doc did, but I still got stir crazy/lonely after a few weeks. And I like being home. :heehee: One thing that helped me was to look back after several weeks and to see my progress. You won't notice it day by day, but you may week by week and certainly after a month or two.
 
Thanks for your comments @kneeper. I love being home too but at this point feels like house arrest, boo! I'm cutting back drastically on pain meds. Experimenting with what's the least that keeps the pain at a manageable level. It's a work in progress. Just finished second outside PT and feel really encouraged. Extension is 0 and flexion 118. Working on the swelling, it's no longer behind the knee (hence the zero) but have big hangy, swollen wings above the knee cap. Icing and elevating and complaining
 
Hello
Can someone help me understand the way the titles (member, junior member etc) work under a username? Think it has something to do with number of posts/comments but not sure.
 
@Celle I'm trying to change my user name to Benay - but not finding the way to do it. Can you assist?
 
@Celle I'm trying to change my user name to Benay - but not finding the way to do it. Can you assist?
You can't do that yourself. It has to be done by an Administrator. I'll request it for you.
Hello
Can someone help me understand the way the titles (member, junior member etc) work under a username? Think it has something to do with number of posts/comments but not sure.
That's correct. It has to do with the number of posts you've made.
 
I'm four weeks out of surgery today and feeling definitely some improvement in pain, movement and sleeping. I have my first surgeon's appointment next week, and my fourth of 18 PTs. Still icing frequently and notice if I slow down on that pain level is higher, trying to find that happy medium of meds and me combos. I think it's improving!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom