Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

It is aggravating when they push it. They are supposed to be the experts.
Yes, we think they are the experts. However, they are all trained differently, and have their opinions on this rehab.

I have been trained by Bonesmart, and I don’t believe in the no pain, no gain method. I believe we should let our body heal before stressing it with exercises that cause pain and create more inflammation and swelling. Those things do not enhance healing.

So, you are entitled to your opinion about your recovery. Your opinion is the most important of all.

Remember what the Recovery Guidelines say:

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

Your choice.
Well at least in the midst of all this pain & aggravation I can still laugh at myself. Ya know those recliners that have the option to help you stand if you have mobility issues? Yeah I got one ya know when the first time I used that to get up out of the chair?? About 6 minutes ago!! Yup getting punchy, figure I would share this to give everyone a good laugh ?! Oye!!
 
I needed that laugh!!!!! :heehee:
 
I also used a lift recliner for recovery. It isn't necessary, but certainly helpful. My mom was over one day early into my recovery and felt that I shouldn't be using a lift chair. I asked why and she said "I didn't have a chair that "catapulted" me when I was in recovery and I did just fine.:heehee: Catapult?!! Like the chair hurled or launched me like a rocket, lol.
It certainly aids in standing and sitting without excessive strain on your joint. The more controlled movement makes for better ease in getting up. I found the chair very comfortable for early recovery.

Hopefully you slept well last night, DOCCUKE and have a good weekend!:wave:
@DOCCUKE
 
I don't even know how I would get my toes above my nose!! Lol
And if I did it would be way too painful in my feet. I have very bad neuropathy in both feet. As soon as I lay down the pain in my feet gets far worse. Elevating either one above my head is not doable at all!!
Seven weeks is nothing, my Dr told me you are going to hate me for three months and he was right. It was right at three month before I could feel like I was getting back to normal. Do not ever let a PT push you into the pain zone it is not necessary and will most likely set you back. If you cannot ice frequently and cannot tolerate pain meds I can see why you might still be in pain. I thought after my TKR there would never come a time I would not be aware of my surgery knee, but now at seven month I find myself going hours without it even entering my mind. I told my wife I am sorry I had this done as the first few weeks the pain was excruciating. Now best thing I ever did.
 
Since I wrote this original post I am now on my right knee that was just done last Monday. So far pain is at last as bad as my left knee a few years ago if not worse. One of my issues is anytime I butt my surgeons staph a question. I as k 3 different people & get three different answers you have to be a dam doctor your self to know what to do first I told them I was taking 5 mg of oxycodone every ,,4 hours!! Been doing that since Monday. Ask the PT/ nurse today & she sez no no no no no take oxy every ,4:,hours & Tylenol every 6 hours?! I asked if I leave my knee in the ice cuff all day I'd get k,? They said sure just have clyh between the skin & culff. Pi/ nurse lady today. Sex no no no no no no you cannot to that 20 minutes on 20 minutes off what!! These people are driving mefcrazy
 
Between 5 eye surgeries & 2tkr surgery if any doctor wants to do surgery on me again it probably is not happening. The oxy does not seem to be helping much with pain. It is however making my already not so great short term memory worse I need to be able to drive again by December or I am going to crash ,& burn financially, this month off, it's unpaid I can work a second month from home but even that would be tough if I don't make progress. This is one of those days I am glad there is not a gun in my house this is exasperating, and of course painful. Sorry I only vent about this **** here. Can't dump it on my wife we just lost her 95:year old mom last weekend. Feeling pretty overwhelmed to be honest. I will shut up now
Peace
DOC
 
Can't dump it on my wife we just lost her 95:year old mom last weekend. Feeling pretty overwhelmed to be honest.
I’m so sorry these things happened so close together.

The oxy does not seem to be helping much with pain.
Ask your doctor if you can add Tylenol to what you’re taking. I took that around the clock. It can be a nice addition, if your doctor approves.

Many members find that ice helps, too.
 
You can come here and vent. We can handle it and your wife is likely under enough stress and can't deal with it right now. So sorry for the loss of you MIL.

You are in the throes of it right now at only five days post op. You're feeling overwhelmed. It will get better. Even a week from now you'll likely be feeling better. This is not insurmountable, you've done it before, you'll do it again.

Focus on healing. With each week that passes you'll be a little bit stronger and a little bit closer to your goal. Getting off the meds will happen gradually. You don't need to rush it. Your body will signal when its ready and then you can taper off safely and comfortably. You will get back to work also. Take the time you're able to let your body heal and trust that you will get back there. View each day as a little victory, even if it doesn't always feel that way, you're moving in the right direction and one day closer to full recovery and an active lifestyle once again.
You're Strong & You Can Do This!!
@DOCCUKE
 
You're being hit by so many things at once and it would be overwhelming for anyone.

It sounds like your work/ financial situation is something that there's nothing specific you can do about for another two or three weeks.

If you can find a way to compartmentalize - mentally put that into a drawer or box and lock it - and fully focus on achieving good pain control (talk to your doc Monday!) and on letting your knee heal (ice and elevate around the clock except when up to walk and attend to basic needs) it may help reduce this feeling of doom.

As Layla said, we're here for you. We can't "fix" things but we will listen and we care.
 
Thanks lalla & Mendogali am taking oxycodone with Tylenol that was one of the issues all week I was doing 5 mg of oxycodone every ,4 hours but when the vote lady came today she said I should be taking the oxy every 4 hours & Tylenol every 6 hours !! I can't even get a straight story of what I should be taking for meds!!it would be helpful if they could all agree. On the same answer
I find poor communication is a major issue with most healthcare professionals hasvrvtheitrrecpstientvgstewatyvto communicate with them I am going to email them through there today & at least get that 100% straight also the icecuff situation, talked with them Tuesday I told them I was icing it almost all the time, they've said if that was fine, the pt lady that was here today says that is bad and will hinder blood flow& I should be icing for only 20 minutes ata a time!!So far I believe Dr Melnic is a great surgeon but his support staff is a clown show
 
We can sort that out!

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can safely be taken up to 4,000 mg in 24 hours.

That works out to two 500 mg tablets or capsules every six hours.

However there's probably acetaminophen blended into your oxycodone - best check the label! usually it's 325 mg of acetaminophen per oxy. You need to account for that and reduce the OTC Tylenol accordingly to stay at or under 4,000 mg/24 hours.

So if you take a oxy every 4 hours = 6 times in 24 hours. If each has 325 mg of acetaminophen, that's almost 2,000 mg of acetaminophen.

That allows you another 2,000 mg.

So IF your oxy label says it also has acetaminophen, you'll only take one 500 mg acetaminophen every 6 hours = 2,000 mg.

This is why we recommend writing a note every time you take a med!
 
I have 5mg oxycodone I do not believe it has Tylenol in it, it has m lnothing ion the label saying it has Tylenol in it. My Tylenol is generic acetaminophen 500mg capsules
 
I have 5mg oxycodone I do not believe it has Tylenol in it, it has m lnothing ion the label saying it has Tylenol in it. My Tylenol is generic acetaminophen 500mg capsulesoh

I forgot to mention I text myself for every med with name of med & time
 
Smart to text yourself!
 
the pt lady that was here today says that is bad and will hinder blood flow
She's obviously read the study that recommends less icing for sports INJURY recovery -- like a strain or sprain -- but that study had nothing to do with surgical recovery.

Unfortunately, very few physical therapists are ever trained in how to help someone recover from a joint replacement, so they think they can just apply what they know from sport injury rehab. Apples and oranges!
 
talked with them Tuesday I told them I was icing it almost all the time, they've said if that was fine, the pt lady that was here today says that is bad and will hinder blood flow& I should be icing for only 20 minutes ata a time!!

Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so, always placing fabric between your skin and the ice source. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or preventively keep pain at bay. You may find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.

I hope you have a good week DOCCUKE! :wave:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom