Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

I gotta say that going up the step backwards on my TKR is BEYOND painful!
After having done that Monday at PT now just going up stairs normal is excruciating to the point that I can barely do it.
That is just too much to ask of your new knee, IMO! I haven't ever gone up a step backwards yet. No reason to. Actually I haven't even climbed stairs forward because I have no steps anywhere in my house, or anywhere that I normally go. I have no trouble stepping on and off curbs, and in PT they had me doing one step up repeatedly (which wore me out pretty quickly usually).

Looking at your two knees, your knee scar looks really good and honestly that knee looks straighter and better than the other one to my un-trained eye.

I am retired, so maybe that is part of my luck. I desperately wanted to have this surgery done back in my working days, but got a lot of push-back because of my weight. Maybe that was really to my advantage because I don't think I could have got this much time off work.

I think Doogie Howser could be a perfect surgeon for TKR - - young, alert, knows the latest techniques, good vision and manual dexterity. Yep! I'd pick Doogie Howser in a heartbeat. My surgeon is good too, even though he is almost 60 years old. He is tough as nails and has done a lot of knees in his day.

Maybe you can figure out a way to prop your knee up under your desk, at work, and ice it off and on during the day while you work?
 
Last edited:
Maybe you can figure out a way to prop your knee up under your desk, at work, and ice it off and on during the day while you work?
Also, everyone is entitled to 2 15 minutes breaks and a 30 minute lunch time. Take those times to ice and elevate toes above nose.
 
I don't even know how I would get my toes above my nose!! Lol
And if I did it would be way too painful in my feet. I have very bad neuropathy in both feet. As soon as I lay down the pain in my feet gets far worse. Elevating either one above my head is not doable at all!!
 
Hi Carol
My right knee is very bad, honestly has been for years. As messed up as it is it hurts less than my left knee!!
 
Hi Carol
My right knee is very bad, honestly has been for years. As messed up as it is it hurts less than my left knee!!
I believe you! Your right knee looks painful, to my untrained eye anyway. Hopefully you can get the source of pain in your left knee figured out and under control soon.
 
I don't even know how I would get my toes above my nose!! Lol
And if I did it would be way too painful in my feet. I have very bad neuropathy in both feet. As soon as I lay down the pain in my feet gets far worse. Elevating either one above my head is not doable at all!!
While toes above your nose is ideal, you'll be elevating OK as long as your feet are higher than your hips.
 
DOC Hi! I have had both of my knees replaced the most recent being July 30, 2019. I tend to agree with the folks who have shared already. My BMI was 40 as well. This knee is definitely more difficult than the first however, the surgeon admitted he had a couple of challenges tightening and loosening screws and then he accidently tore a ligament. In spite of that I am coming along doing ok, I am eight weeks out now. The only PT I had was the six home visits and they were very easy heel slides etc. I would just forget PT for a while and rest and ice your knee. Of course your knee will hurt with all of that PT. Plus it seems to me that you are not on and adequate dose of meds for pain. I was taking hydrocodone 7.5/325. I took two tablets every four hours for the first couple of weeks, and I did take them every four hours including during sleeping hours. As large as you are I think you need more meds, however that is up to your doc. Please do not despair, talk to your surgeon or primary physician about increasing your medication. :) Good Luck!!
 
Wow! What a journey you have had!
I had my initial knees done 6 weeks apart and that was very difficult as I wasn’t over the first before having the second. I did go through the “why did I do this” stage but by about the 6 month mark, I was able to get on with life and got to the point that I didn’t think about them constantly. It will get better but you are in a bit of a pickle with your pain and not being able to keep your leg elevated enough.
I tried some topical pain lotion that was a prescription from my surgeon and although it wasn’t as good as the oral meds, it did help some. Something you might could talk to your doctor about if you are interested.
 
Doccuke, greetings. I am pretty much same age (62) and had surgery 11 days ago. Your ROM is outstanding and you were walking quicker than I will- so those are the good points. The bad is pain. I am not a doctor, but with bone on bone on your other knee and shoulder pain... perhaps those are making the replaced knee feel worse. Perhaps seeing a pain management specialist would help. However, you're still early and have a lot of healing to go. My thinking is to get elevation and ice whenever you can and the healing process will continue.
 
I've done very well in my 4 week recovery, but our knees are very good at sending messages to us.
Just been shopping, which involved a little more walking than normal, plus getting in and out of the car.
My knee's message to me is something like "Oi! You might think I'm ready to go, but can I have a bit more consideration?"
So here I sit with leg elevated, ice on my knee, wishing my paracetamols would start working.
There's a fine line to keep, a little too much has lot of negative results. The line moves over time, and is something only we can establish.
I've a good feeling that if you back off a lot and move forward gently, it will all come much better. I hope so, good luck

90 minutes for one op seems very long. Mine took about 20 to 30 minutes. Not sure what this indicates though.
 
Thanks all. Appreciate the encouragement. I hate to sound like a wuss but I am feeling pretty beat down! Pain meds do not seem to help me, they never have. Not sure why.

I think I will mellow out on the crazy PT. I am working from home 2 more days then Monday back to my office. I do IT support for an auto dealership network. I cover NH, VT & Maine. Hopefully this will eventually be better because right now I am pretty much feeling like I am at the end of my rope!!

Going to sleep is the best part of my day!! Dreading everything else!! WAH!! Lol

Anyway, hope you all have a pain free day

DOC
 
Last edited:
Tykey said:
90 minutes for one op seems very long. Mine took about 20 to 30 minutes. Not sure what this indicates though.

I have no idea what the time took means either. I do not know what is typical for a TKR

I did some digging & I could only find a couple of bad reviews for my surgeon. And the negative reviews I found sounded more like not picking than anything to me!

The majority of his reviews were glowing!

My surgeon was one of the people that told me over & over I had to push through the pain & make it work or I would be worse off.

I have no clue!! Frustrated & aggravated!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My surgery took at least an 90 minutes also.
 
My surgery took at least an 90 minutes also.
That's interesting, it reminded me that one of the other staff mentioned that my surgeon had a reputation for being speedy. Whilst I was awake, he did seem to be quick.
He did a superb job though (on both knees) I'm pleased to say.
 
Surgery times vary. Don't read too much into how long an operation takes.
 
To add a bit of unhelpful information, the NHS website says they take between 1 and 3 hours, which is a big range
 
I had, had 5 previous surgeries on that same knee so it was probably a mess in there. Plus, my patella tendon was shorter than normal because of my previous kneecap removal. At least I don't have a kneecap to hurt!
 
Hi Sistersinhim
5 surgeries?? YIKES!!
That does not sound remotely amusing!!!
I had this one & hopefully will never have another one!!
As long as I can walk nobody is operating on me again
 
My second day back at work full-time today. Man am I wiped out by the end of the day. Been in my cryo cuff for a couple of hours. When I got home my knee was throbbing.

Keep on keepin on!! No other options!!

Hope y'all have a pain free evening

DOC
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom