Guest viewing is limited

TKR UPDATE: Still trying to recover! 10 weeks post op...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that I have not caused damage with the pushing my exercise routine.
To the best of my knowledge it's almost impossible to damage the artificial joint. You may well have compounded tissue damage but hey it'll get better once you stop overdoing things, no bother.
 
Good morning Theresa,

I am glad you see the wisdom in the advice being shared. It will help you a great deal. And knowing that you are never alone in this battle can be very comforting. We all "get it", so come here for anything you might need! There is always someone that cares on the other end of your story!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Knowing that your reactions are all normal is reassuring but doesn't make it feel that much better really. Please follow all the good advice you have been given. It does work. I have one more observation. You need and deserve to feel depressed and frustrated. You got thrown into a chipper and then have to pull up your drawers and work to get better. It is the pits. You need a good cry. Not a few sniffs and convince yourself how good you really have it. You need a good bawl your eyes out pity fest. Don't let yourself take this out on your support person though. Just take some time to yourself and run through all the reasons you have to feel sorry for yourself and rail against the injustice of it all. Take it to the point of absurdity even - they make ted stockings ugly on purpose and put that dumb hole in the toe just to be sure you catch your toe in it and you should get to recover in Maui instead of podunk wherever you live. Get it all out. We cry for physiologic (is that a real word?) reasons not just emotional reasons. Then take a hot bath and your pain meds and get some sleep. Next morning count your blessings and get back to the routine of taking care of your knee. You will still be frustrated by the recovery time required and the bizarre rules of pharmacuticals and insurance but you will feel better.
 
Knowing that your reactions are all normal is reassuring but doesn't make it feel that much better really. Please follow all the good advice you have been given. It does work. I have one more observation. You need and deserve to feel depressed and frustrated. You got thrown into a chipper and then have to pull up your drawers and work to get better. It is the pits. You need a good cry. Not a few sniffs and convince yourself how good you really have it. You need a good bawl your eyes out pity fest. Don't let yourself take this out on your support person though. Just take some time to yourself and run through all the reasons you have to feel sorry for yourself and rail against the injustice of it all. Take it to the point of absurdity even - they make ted stockings ugly on purpose and put that dumb hole in the toe just to be sure you catch your toe in it and you should get to recover in Maui instead of podunk wherever you live. Get it all out. We cry for physiologic (is that a real word?) reasons not just emotional reasons. Then take a hot bath and your pain meds and get some sleep. Next morning count your blessings and get back to the routine of taking care of your knee. You will still be frustrated by the recovery time required and the bizarre rules of pharmacuticals and insurance but you will feel better.

I know this message wasn't written to me, but I am embracing it right now. Oh this damn depression we really don't need that on top of everything else we are putting up with. I know it is normal....blaa...blaa...blaa but again, thank you for what you wrote.
 
Your advice is spot on for those in the early days of recovery when there are so many ups and downs, sleep is fleeting, meds make you crazy or don't seem to work, can't function normally, have to deal with constipation, are bored to death, can't concentrate on anything, do too much when you feel better and then suffer for it, others don't see why you're not back to normal, and on and on and on! A really good cry and railing against the injustice of it all and maybe even having a screaming fit are all justified and may actually alleviate the gloom and doom in one's mind. Thanks for your perspective.
 
On a serious note, I can't take NSAIDs either. Be aware that this will slow your recovery somewhat. That is per both my doctor and my physical therapist. You just have to embrace the whole ice and elevation thing. I am nearly five months out and still need to ice and elevate in the evenings because my knee gets stiff after a busy day. I found that making sure I took in plenty of fluids and gentle massage of my thigh while elevated helped let my body clear the swelling better. Read, watch cheesy movies or meditate or whatever just do it with your leg up. Ultimately your recovery will be as good as with NSAIDS but you will likely take tramadol or maybe get a butrans patch for pain like I have now, longer than other knee patients. It isn't that you are a baby about the pain. It is just that you can't switch to the usual pain relievers others do when they go to Aleve or celebrex or something untill they don't need anything. Be well.
 
Lots of good advice above. Glad you found us.
 
Hello,

Just wanted to say they tried femoral blocks when I had my left and right knees done the first time, and both times my husband remembers me screaming as I was returning to the room! He told them I had a high pain threshold so the blocks didn't work. Both times, they knocked me out. I guess they were tired of the screaming. :happydance:
 
Oh, my dear, I too woke to PAIN! PAIN! PAIN! For the first 24 hours I wanted someone to shoot me. I had my RTKR on July, 10 so I am just a few weeks farther along. I also cannot take NSAIDs of any kind either. That in itself slows our recovery down because we cannot get the swelling down. Elevation and ice are our only option for that swelling. This is the hand we have been dealt, crappy, I know, but it will get better. What you are feeling is just what we ALL have felt. I had a crying jag one morning when I got up for no apparent reason. Except there was a reason.. Many reasons really. The surgery, the pain, the feeling like time is standing still with recovery, the repetition of ice, elevate, ice elevate, wondering why it seems nothing is improving, feeling helpless and not in control. This surgery is major, major major and hard on the body. The recovery from it is unique. It is small almost imperceptible improvements every day. Improvements come slowly, but they do come. This recovery has a two steps forward, one step back nature. Hang in dear heart. We have been right where you are, felt that frustration, cried our eyes out, and felt defeated. But, TRUST US, IT WILL GET BETTER. We are here for you. Lean on us. (( HUGS )
 
Thanks all. I am even more discouraged and scared tonight. My PT has been put on hold until I see my doctor. The appt was for the 26th but has been moved up to the 12th due to continued pain, cramping, tenderness and swelling! I have not had PT in 9 days and am SICK of sitting and elevating, icing, heat, rest, yada yada yada! I am tired of medications and living by a darned clock to take them and then they don't always work! It's like your feet are nailed to the floor! I feel like my recovery has come to a standstill and am scared that the gains that I have made will be lost. I am worried that something may be wrong and he may have to open it back up! I just don't think I can take it! Has anyone else out there had such to happen to them?
 
Hi Theresa,

Don't lose faith. I know you are frustrated and feel completely powerless. I know when I can't control something related to my health, I get very irritated and anxious. This recovery will continue to test you in every way. Many people have been where you're at. Try not to worry too much about losing what you've gained. Until you see the OS and get answers, it's best to focus on the short term. It's not easy to simply be in a holding pattern, and I know that activity relieves anxiety, but you need to hold tight. The good news is that the 12th is right around the corner, and hopefully you will get a better handle on these issues.

Until then, we are here and care. Come vent away, like minded friends are only a few clicks away.

Be well and big hugs sent your way,

Dawn
 
Hi Theresa, sorry to ready you're struggling. Its very easy in the early days of recover, and 6 weeks is early, to focus on the negatives. Until I found Bonesmart I thought everything was wrong with my knee. Every time I felt something, I just came on Bonesmart and found others who's surgery was before mine and had the same issues which had resolved. Yes there are a few that have issues that don't resolve and need further work done, but they are the very minority.

So please try not to worry until you have had your appointment on the 12th. It could be something as simple as changing your medication to get the pain under control, which will decrease swelling, make you more comfortable.

I didn't sleep well for 3 months, felt totally drained and worn out all the time no matter how much sleep I actually managed to get, had feeling of tight rubber bands around my knee for 6 months, pain in my quads when I lifted my leg (and still get that sometimes), couldn't straighten my leg (still can't but improving and linked to the quads and potential damage to them from femoral nerve block), stairs and inclines a struggle but now improving. The constant exercises every day got me down. I'm now almost 9 months post op. Question - had I known it would take this long to recover would I have gone through with it? ABSOLUTELY YES - I can walk pain free for more than 10 minutes. A week ago I walked for 2 hours up and down hills. I was stiff afterwards but it was all worth it.
 
Hi Theresa, I too am at 5 weeks and it has been a rough week for me as well. You have received a lot of good insight (which I'm borrowing too) sounds like we need to be more patient with ourselves - we've got a ways to go in this healing process. Sounds like you really need to be a bit kinder to your knee.
I'm using a stationary bike as well - I can't imagine 3 miles - holy cow - really I'm happy if I can get 10 cycles around in both directions - just trying to get the stretch and bend...and then its not pretty - the seat is as high as it can go with me still reaching the pedals and when it comes time for that real bend my right butt cheek come right up off the seat - yep cheating all the way - but considering when I started it was just pushing the pedal back and forth I still consider it progress. :heehee:
I just started outpatient PT and my bend was only 90 degrees and straight was -30 from last Thursday at home PT of 98 degrees and -25 - I was so discouraged and frustrated...the PT said was perfect she said "people often see a change from home to outpatient - you haven't seen her in a few days and the way I measure may be different than the way she measures - you have a lot of swelling which effects your measurements - are you still icing?" Turns out I wasn't icing enough, I didn't think I needed to as much anymore she explained that I should still be doing it 3-4 times a day at least along with the elevation.
Hang in there, be gentle and patient with yourself, as far as I can tell from what I've been reading we are exactly where we are supposed to be and with time and patience we will continue to improve - but it may be a case of two steps forward one step back - but progress is progress.
 
Theresa, glad that I finally found your recovery thread. Everyone has posted fantastic suggestions and encouragement. :friends: The "two steps forward, and one step back" is soooo true. For the first 2-3 months, it's sometimes slower than that. It was for me. Even now -- at almost 5 months -- I'm still recovering from a shin splint after being a delegate at the National Episcopal Convention (ECW [Episcopal Church Women] triennial) in Indianapolis. We (my hubby and I) were in Indianapolis for 2 weeks -- I was at the convention for 8 days. It was 8 days toooo long for my new right knee. :gaah: It felt fine until the last 2 days, and then got worse after returning home. I'm doing physical therapy again, my ROM was decreased but is gradually improving yet again. My knee (and leg) definitely lets me know when I need to "back off" and sometimes do NO exercises for 2-3 (or more) days.

Hope that your OS gives you more help (with pain meds, etc.) when you see him next week. 10-day Rx's are "the pits". Take care and take it easy until the pain and swelling are under control. As for chocolate, maybe some "German chocolate cake" sugar-free syrup in a protein shake or a cup of coffee 2-3 times a day (or as needed) will be a good substitute. Liam just fixed us both a cup of coffee with the "German chocolate cake" sugar-free syrup in it. YUM ! Anything that tastes good is a plus. :mcoffee: :)
 
Again thanks for thee words of encouragement! I hate to whine and I HATE to have to be waited on! That is why I feel that I am losing what I have gained. I guess that I had not put as much thought into the healing process of this surgery as I thought I had! I really thought I was mentally ready......guess I was wrong! Campervan it sounds like you are really making progress. I just wish I could walk for 10 minutes without that feeling that I MUST get off of my leg!. Climbing any inclines right now sounds overwhelming! Tuli I am glad to meet you and hope that you continue to progress. I was doing so well until this started! The 3 miles seemed like nothing! And my seat has been lowered a couple of times. Your comments makes e think that I should have it raised again. Right now I am off of it per PT's advice. I have never been too kind to me.....I hate to admit that but it is true. I have always ignored pain and foraged ahead. That is how I have made it on the old knee since I was 11 yrs old when my knee pain started. ICE? Have mercy I am icing this thing to death. 6-8 times a day! Then heat to the cramping/muscle spasms. Sometimes I have ice on the top and heat on the back! That helps a lot at times. I am concerned that I still am having warmth in spots on top of the knee, sides of the knee and on the outside of my calf muscle about half way down. Being a nurse I sit here and tend to try to diagnose myself and fear the worst as I am familiar with the worst in many cases. I think that is my biggest enemy right now. After these fearful thoughts enter y mind I have to busy myself with crocheting, couponing, cataloging recipes, etc to get it off of my mind. I want to be able to sit at my sewing machine and work on several projects....however it is hard to ice and elevate at the machine so those projects are delayed indefinitely. I am also sick of my new partner.....THE CANE! However, the positives are I can bend my knee when I walk and not limp as I have done both of these for many, many years! Those are positive steps from pre-op. Wished that I had been on Ortho nurse.....then I would understand all of this better and maybe I would have been better prepared. Just tired of all of this and it seems a much larger task than I am at this point!
 
Hello,

Just wanted to say they tried femoral blocks when I had my left and right knees done the first time, and both times my husband remembers me screaming as I was returning to the room! He told them I had a high pain threshold so the blocks didn't work. Both times, they knocked me out. I guess they were tired of the screaming. :happydance:


I can understand the screaming part! Apparently I was screaming so loud in recovery that they called the surgeon and anesthesiologist back in there FAST! My family was called back to try to calm me. All I remember is feeling like my leg had been cut off right then and there without anything to help with the pain and that it was gonna kill me for sure! They did put me on a morphine pump that helped some.....but they sent me home on post op day 2 with a pain level of 7! My OS was not there and I am going to be sure to tell him about it when I see him next week. He is a compassionate guy and I am sure he is unaware of it. I just pray that there is help for me!
 
OH that sounds totally painful! I am so sorry that you are suffering after doing something that you wanted to and was an honor! I hope that you gain what you have lost. As far as something yummy.....I have no appetite or desire to have anything other than coffee and unsweet tea at this point. Eating is a task that I dread! I need hand surgery too which will be partially exploratory and hopefully with alleviate the numbness in my left hand. The OS said that right now would be a good time to do it. Now would be a great time to do it because ALL deductibles have been met for the year! But I don't know if I can deal with it right now............Please pray that at least my appetite returns and I can get back to my protein goals as well as answers to my problems when I see the OS. Praying you get relief as well!
 
Josephine you are so right! I am wondering if I have made the worst mistake of my life! But things seemed to be going good for me. Now they are going all wrong. This is no where near what I had imagined! I am worried and as I have learned in my life sometimes knowledge is not a good thing or at least some medical knowledge. Having worked in home care and seeing a multitude of problems with patients with knee replacements I am scared to death that I will become one of them! I fear infection, clots, or damaging the new knee and muscles, ligaments and tendons that are stretched after not being that way ever before since my knee had 'collapsed' per the OS. My PT tells me that I wait too long to report problems.....but I hate to be a patient that whines all of the time! It's hard to change your learned way of dealing with things.............guess that may be one of my worst enemies at this point! Any advice?
 
Theresa, sorry that you have no appetite, and that eating is "something to get through". Hope you are getting your proteins in -- coffee or whatever. With your hubby in charge, that helps. Getting the necessary protein is the most important part food-wise (according to everybody in the bariatric group). I've learned sooo much as a support person for our mutual friend -- and from all of you in that group. Hopefully one of these days -- when you're further along in your recuperation -- we can get together somewhere in between our 2 locations in North Carolina.

Meanwhile don't worry about venting, crying, "down times", etc. We've all been there. Everybody here understands -- regardless of where we are individually in this journey. The first couple of months were the worst for me -- trying to sleep between changing positions every few minutes because Magrat (my new right knee) complained yet again, taking pain meds by the clock, icing, elevating, resting,:zzz: etc. -- oh yes, and PT (at home and then out-patient).

As for your hand surgery -- if you can have it scheduled for mid-November, you'd still be covered with the deductables. By mid-November you'll be 3-1/2 months post-op. You'll be much better by then. The main reason that I had the shin splint was because of the convention at 3 months post-op. Your hand surgery recovery won't bother your knee recovery surgery.

I really AM doing better with the shin splint. The PT staff where I'm going is wonderful. They ease up when my leg or Magrat complain, and are helping with the cramps and tightness in the calf of my right leg (which still happens sometimes). They use massage, ultrasound, icing, and stretching/strengthening exercises to help loosen things -- but NOT to the point of pain. Uncomfortable is OK, but NOT pain. I'm able to walk MUCH better now. I can do "mall walking" now rather than "mall meandering" (involves slowly walking and sitting down on the mall benches when my leg would "seize"). The mall meandering was what I was doing BEFORE the RTKR. I am SO enjoying being able to walk better. :yes!: You'll get there too, dear friend. :thumb: :friends:
 
Yeah mid-November may be best for the hand. Maybe by then I can bear thee thoughts of more pain.....and have my holiday decorating done. I love decorating for Christmas but will have to do it early if my knee will cooperate. I am tyring to look ahead. The one thing that WAS getting me through the day was looking to the previous week to compare where I was. that is painful now due to the fact that I'm not making progress the past week or two. Just discouraging but trying to stay busy crocheting (which gets boring too after a while) for my first grandbaby due in mid April! I hope that I am recovered by then as my daughter will need me which she has already made known! Just gotta look for something to grab on to and look forward to here.

I am glad you are doing better. I will be glad when I a at that point. As for the protein.....I'm getting about 60-70 a day. Far from the 100 that I need! Hubby is pushing and it helps even though that too is old. Need continued prayers....they truly work!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom