Guest viewing is limited

TKR UPDATE: Still trying to recover! 10 weeks post op...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations TheresaG on that first grandbaby that is due mid April. My second one is due the beginning of April and my poor DIL is so worried as she has had a couple miscarriages that we know of and we didn't know if she would be able to have any. She is 38 already too, so tick, tick, tick so to speak. So fingers crossed that your daughter and my DIL have healthy uneventful pregnancies.
 
Debbie fingers crossed for your DIL! My daughter is combating a new full time nursing career with 12 hour shifts and extreme fatigue! I keep teling her to get through the first trimester and things will improved....she is counting the days! LOL
 
WELL!! Just posted on my FB page that it is a free trade in and so far no takers! At this point I am willing to gie it away! My butt hurts from where I've lost so much weight and the bones are grinding into everything, I am sick of sitting all jacked up with it elevated and these pain meds are ridiculous when you go days without potty! GEEZ...can't even GIVE IT AWAY!!!!!
 
On the not going potty, have you tried Miralax yet? It is a powder that you can add to any 4 ounces of liquid and it doesn't make it taste icky. I am really picky on drinking things too and honestly you can't taste it and more important it helps you poop.
 
I've taken it but not daily. If I do then it keeps me in the potty too much for me! LOL. But I may go to every other day. I think I'm just bored silly at this point!
 
Theresa and Debbie -- positive thoughts and prayers for you both as you recover, and for your respective daughter and daughter-in-law and new grandchildren that are "on the way". By next April, you both will be doing sooo much better. So spoiling the grandchildren won't be a problem. Theresa, your recovery from your hand surgery should be fine by then too. Liam (my hubby) just had thumb surgery this past Friday. He gets the bandages off and the stitches out next Wednesday with PT starting immediately after that appointment. I'll definitely take my Kindle with me so I'll have something to read.

I like getting ready for Christmas too. My preferred "medium" is paper -- quilling (paper filigree). Although I have made baby grand pianos out of 5x8 note cards in past years. A friend told me that they were too little to be "baby grands" -- that I should call them "pre-natal grands" instead. :rotfl: I've made harpsichords with double keyboards out of note cards too. They take a bit more time. So I'll probably start back with the pianos -- and some quilling. Quilled decorations are fun to make.

Hope that you both have a good weekend -- with much needed sleep, etc. :sleep: I well remember the first couple of months of having trouble sleeping through the night. :flwrysmile:
 
PRE-NATAL GRANDS!!!! LOL! That is hilarious! I have never done paper quilling but have seen it. It is beautiful! I love to do floral arranging and a lot of other things! I also usually have a huge Christmas Eve celebration. Not so sure it will pan out this year. :( But I am using this time to collect some recipes!
 
Folks, it's not necessary to use the "Reply" icon in someone's post to reply, specially when that post is going to be the one right before yours.
Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start writing in the window, okay?

[Bonesmart.org] UPDATE: Still trying to recover!  10 weeks post op...
 
My preferred "medium" is paper -- quilling (paper filigree). Although I have made baby grand pianos out of 5x8 note cards in past years. I've made harpsichords with double keyboards out of note cards too.
Hi Organist!
Don't think I've heard of quilling. Are these 3d type decorations or drawn or something else? Sounds elaborate! Do you sell them?
 
Theresa, if you haven't tried the FiberOne bars, you may want to. I find they're very yummy and they've been helping with all the constipation caused by the iron supplements I'm having to take pre-op.
 
Elisea, paper filigree (quilling) uses thin strips of paper (1/4", 1/8", and/or 1/16" wide strips), rolling them into coils, gluing the edge to seal, pressing them into different shapes, and creating artwork (simple or complex) for anything ranging from birthday cards to jewelry. I know one person who quilled a wedding dress for a Barbie doll. Some quilled projects are 3-D, others are not.

You can check the following websites to look at some of the beautiful possibilities.
https://naqg.org/ -- North American Quilling Guild
broken link removed: https://www.quilling-guild.co.uk/ -- The Quilling Guild in the UK

The quilling guild in the UK is older than the one in North America, but they both are wonderful groups. The possibilities are AWESOME. One thing that I like about it is that all you really need to start is paper, a paper shredder that shred in 1/4-inch strips, and glue. Regular Elmer's glue works great -- but NOT Elmer's School Glue which is made for school children so that it can come out of their clothes easier (and therefore doesn't glue very well).

The paper grand pianos and harpsichords that I've made are NOT quilling. I made patterns to cut the basic shapes of each design using note cards. Quilling is much easier than making a piano or harpsichord. I HAVE seen a quilled grand piano though -- online.
 
Theresa, how are you doing this weekend? You're in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how your Wednesday appt. "goes". Take care, dear friend.:friends:
 
Hi Becky!!!
I've been wondering how you were doing. I'm having some technical difficulties with BS since yesterday when I upgraded to OS Mountain Lion. I type and post and it disappears. I hope taht this posts because i want you to know that i have been thinking of you!
 
Hi, Nyland. Hope that your online problems have been solved. I'm doing better. I've posted an update on my thread today. Hope that you are donig good.
 
Theresa, hope that you are doing better. We care about you. :friends: Post when you get a chance.
 
I had both full knee replacements on the same day. It was in 2007 at the end of the year and I was 52 then. I was out of the hospital on day 3 and overweight. I had to file a complaint on a doctor that would not do my surgery cause I was way overweight. He wanted me to go through a gastric bypass before he would do the surgery. I fought that and found a doctor at the same facility that would do the surgery. surgery was a success and i was back to work in 4 weeks and back on my harley davidson on week 7. i have never had a physical therapy appointment cause the follow up from the rehab people sucked. they allowed me to drop through the cracks of my therapy. i did some therapy on my own, but that's it. i never really pushed myself. just went through my daily routines of working 8-10hours a day on my feet. my legs bend at 90-100 deg but my doctor wanted to do a manipulation on them which I said no since he said it's possible that my legs could break at the shins. I looked at him and said you're not selling me on that. no thank you. I'll live with it. so happy I had the replacements thought. I finally 4 years later had my gastric bypass. so happy I had that done too. I am dealing with and have been for the last couple years, severe leg and feet cramps that has sent me through the roof. I have to rush to the bathtub and get hot hot water on them to get the muscules to soften up... and calm down. it works, but it's hell till I get to that point. During the cramping I'm screaming to cut my legs off... the pain is so bad. the pain in my feet oh dear lord, is so painfull. i eat bananas, i have salt....... I don't know what to do to stop the cramping from happening. if I even turn one of my feet to the side to allow my big toe to scratch the other foot, BAM! the cramping starts in my foot. the cramping usually starts when i'm in bed and turn my foot wrong. It makes me jump out of bed to try to stop it or I have to rush down stairs to the bathtub before the cramping gets to tweeked out so I can handle the rush down the stairs.... and into the tub. the relaxing of the muscles in the tub takes about 20 min. Anyway else dealing with this?
 
I refuse to take pills to help with the cramping. I will not start on meds. I feel my cramping can be solved by something natural. low on potassium? no pills for me.
 
I've heard drinking tonic water helps, and also taking magnesium, although that's a pill. But I know someone that swears by tonic water. Oh, and .... you'll think this is crazy... keeping a bar of soap between the sheets of your bed. Seriously. I used to have a lot of foot cramps, and come to think of it, I haven't at all since my surgery.
 
If you think you might be low on potassium eat bananas. Those are great for potassium.
 
I must say that this recovery is taking MUCH longer than I had expected or planned for! IT is very frustrating for me as I have always rebounded at a remarkable speed form previous surgeries. I was not mentally prepared for the pain, discomfort and helplessness that I have felt. However, on a bright note I walk around the house without the cane, and can walk down and up my ramp outside without the cane. I do however, take it for doctor appts or shopping outings and I just don;t trust this baby just yet. I have done alot of self assessment of my situation and feel that part of the reason for the slow journey is the fact that neither me nor my surgeon were prepared for the atrophy of the muscles in my leg/knee. I have and continue to have to work at stretching and strengthening exercises. However, my surgeon says that I have extension and flexion better that the majority of people ever get. I also have serious problems with my back and all of this has made it much worse. It was doing better pre op with aquatic therapy and I think when I see my doctor Monday and get him to get that resumed I will get better with that. Positive thinking! :heehee: I also had to have an exploratory carpal tunnel surgery 4 weeks ago today and that has made thing difficult too. So recovering from 2 surgeries in less than 2 months and a total of 3 surgeries in 7 months is ROUGH even for this 51 year old. Nausea had been a problem since knee surgery. I am not understanding that at all! I am off of the extra pain meds that I was taking so that isn't it. I am not sure but do plan to mention it to my doctor next week.

All in all..........I am very slowly progressing but do NOT love my new knee yet. Right knee is bone on bone and right now I say leave it alone as long as we can prior to touching it. doctor says it is better to get it done asap to prevent the problems with the muscles. I do know that my left knee is not ready to be the dominant knee so that will pretty much determine when the other one gets done. Plus I NEED to be able to clean my house! UGhhhhhh....things are getting quite messy here!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom