TKR UPDATE: Still trying to recover! 10 weeks post op...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theresa, so sorry you are still having problems with your recovery. But I must tell you that 10 weeks is still VERY early in the recovery process. Plus you had THREE surgeries in 7 months....that will make things go a bit slower for you. Remember that most people with a new knee report that they don't BEGIN to feel "normal" again until around the 6-month mark. Full recovery can take a year or more. It really doesn't matter that you had quick recoveries in the past. Each surgery is it's own animal and TKRs can be especially difficult.

You may note that I have merged your three recovery threads. We like to keep a person's recovery story in one thread so we (and other members) can easily see your entire journey in one place. So please continue to post updates and questions here. If you prefer a new title for the thread, just post what you'd like it to be and one of the staff will change it for you.
 
Hi, Theresa. I forgot that your RTKR wasn't until the end of July. You're doing good for not-quite 3 months. Starting aquatic therapy is a great way to do the PT at this stage of your recovery -- without the weight on your knees (the new one and the bad one). Some of the others here can help you with suggestions about exercises, etc. to help your left leg -- and what stage of recovery (for your right knee) will be a good point to do the left knee replacement. I do know -- from what I've learned here (and from my OS) -- that once it's bone-on-bone it only gets worse -- and takes longer to recover.

Also your new right knee is now trying to "take up the slack" from the pain of your left knee -- even with you trying not to overdo things with your right knee. DO take care. Get some help from family and friends to clean up the house periodically. Taking care of yourself comes FIRST for this year and next year. After that, you'll be doing GREAT with the major hurdles conquered. We're here for you -- with friendship, encouragement, any questions you have, positive thoughts, prayers, candles, etc. :friends::flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Jamie for doing that. A lot of things to learn about the site. And it is fine for you to have merged them. I was unsure of how to get to it again. :(

organist, I had LTKR July 27 so I am still 'early' out I guess. I have gained some of my height back since surgery! OS says that he expected it. I am just an impatient person. Yes 3 surgeries in 7 months if ENOUGH! According to my OS on my 3 week f/u appt the R knee is ready for TKR but it was prior to the LTKR as well. I told him that I just had to get to where I could manage this one first. Pain has been a bear and I am not sure if my fibro has anything to do with the enhanced pain or not. I think Aquatics will help with the back and neck and maybe make the nee more bearable.
 
Theresa,
Thanks for the corrections. I'm glad that I just started a pot of coffee. I must need some. :heehee: Hopefully the aquatic PT will help. Sorry about the fibro. You have more than enough to deal with. Hugs. :friends:
Becky
 
Bionicwoman. I to have had the gastric bypass (RNY) in March of this year. Since the surgery I have had absolutely NO appetite, a lot of nausea and my schedule which I was just getting into really has gotten all messed up. IT seesm that the anesthesia messed up some of my memory and I cannot remember exactly what I was doing pre op to get in the amount of protein that I need! I need an average of no less than 100g per day! 60-80 is max for me right now. Fluids are getting there but thirst and the ability to get in enough fluid is a arduous task!

My knee replacement was delayed many years (Like 15) due to age and weight. That has lead ot most if not all of the complications that I have endured. I wished that I had my time to go over again and had been more aggressive with the weight surgery that I was approved for 10 years ago and getting the knee done then. Due to the RNY I cannot take NSAIDS which prior to that surgery was a mainstay for my bone pain. Now I have to endure it without it. I go to my bariatirc surgeon in a week and plan to talk to him about an alternative to assist with it. I also go to my pain management doctor Monday whom will get me back in for my aquatic therapy and hopefully with a few treatments it will get my back and neck in better shape. I MUST have some help with ALL of this pain and preferably non narcotic help! as far as leg cramps there are a couple of things that I have tried and usually try them until I find the remedy for the cramps: 1. hamstrings stretches but taking a towel and putting around my toes on the leg that is cramping, relaxing the leg and pulling the foot up toward my hed and holding to the count of 20 an dlet it go. I usually do 3-5 repetitions and they cramp subsides, 2. if that does not help then I get up put my leg on a chair eith my toes up and bend until I feel the pull and hold it 15 seconds then relax for 15 seconds and repeat 3-4 more times. Last resort is 3. Take plain yellow mustard from the fridge and run a line along my index finger for measure and swallow it! Weird but it helps@ Heating pad helps too. It is a FULL time job!!

hope that this helps an so good to connect with someone who is traveling a similar path!
 
Beck,
There re a ton of medical problemd\s for me. Each day is something totally different! Hard to stay upbeat abut it all! YEAh the coffee is good!
 
Theresa, fortunately you don't have to be upbeat either here or in the WLS group. This is a good place to vent, cry, get angry (express it), or whatever. Everyone here who has been through the TKR surgery knows that it's major surgery and takes longer than we expected -- even though we are told that it takes up to a year. It really doesn't "sink in". And there are some here who have been through the bariatric surgery too. I'm not one of them, but I've been learning a lot as a support person for our mutual friend in that group. You're doing good -- considering how many surgeries you've already been through this year -- 2 of which were major surgeries just 4 months apart -- and then the hand surgery. Hope that you get some rest tonight. Positive thoughts and prayers continue for you -- and your hubby and family. Take care.
 
I am so sorry that you are in pain and having trouble getting the medication you need. And please, Theresa, DO NOT LET THAT PT TOUCH YOU AGAIN! My God! you just had major surgery---that knee needs to rest, be elevated and iced, given time to do some healing. Gentle stretching and bending is all it needs to keep it moving right now. Please DO NOT LET anyone do that to you again.

[Bonesmart.org] UPDATE: Still trying to recover!  10 weeks post op...
A very big hug for someone who needs it. Take care, we care.


OMG sweetie, I agree!!! Do not do any PT and get that CPM off that knee completely!!!!! You need proper pain meds. The constant moving of the knee by the CPM is causing more pain!!! Elevate and ice that knee, and leave it be until you can get pain meds that will make you comfortable. Call a pain management center or Dr if your Family physician is of no help.
Oh, sweetie, my heart aches for you.
 
Thanks ladies. I have learned this afternoon that my daughter who is pregnant with her first child has discovered recent infidelity by her husband. This has added fuel to the fire of which I really did NOT need at this point. Stress enhance discomfort. I already have enough stress at home with a sick husband. Now this! Just seems that at times there is more than I can bear but I know that a much stronger person walks before me and is there for me to give me what I need to bear the burden. Prayers, thoughts will be appreciated as things seem to be developing and unfolding as we speak.

Titanlady, I no longer have the CPM just doing passive ROM myself and riding my exercise bike on good days. I go see my pain management doctor on Monday. I am praying that he can adjust the meds and get me going back in aquatic therapy for my back and neck. To help pain somewhere in my body at least makes it a little easier to deal with the other pain.
 
Well Theresa,

I can say this, I am so glad I had both done! The 2nd one was 2 1/2 months after the first, and although the second has caused problems, I knew the risks were high before I ever went into surgery. I was told I had a 50/50 chance of getting MRSA in both knees! Now most people have less than 1% chance, but I had 6 previous MRSA infections before having either knee done. The first knee replacement was fortunate, just MRSA pneumonia. The second, well that the story of my knee's! :heehee: Let me let you in on what my OS told me, "Do you want to live a life of quality or just quantity?" I chose quality and will never look back! Every day is a little brighter and God takes care of me even through the rough spots! How could I ask for more?! :happydance:

I have lost 150 pounds since surgery. I am working out and having fun in spite of the kneecap.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's husband! :hairpulling:
 
Hi Theresa,
I've just caught up on your thread, and it sounds like you've really been through the wringer! Even though this is my second TKR (and third major surgery in 13 months, so we have a bit in common), I am finding the glacial pace of recovery hard to bear (bare?) at this point. Like you, I usually bounced back in my pre-TKR days. And now eight weeks out the very idea of returning to work makes me exhausted. But it's great that your reliance on the cane is lessening and your ROM is good. Hopefully those are harbingers of the good things that will come. Eventually.
 
Theresa, so sorry to hear all you have on your plate right now. Fibro can be a factor in your recovery, so do keep a watch on things. As you know....stress can make things worse. Remember that you can only do what you can do. Sometimes there are things in life with family and friends that you can't fix.....you can only be there for support and a hand hold. Don't be afraid to suggest some counseling for your daughter. She likely has some really important decisions to make in the coming months and sometimes it helps to talk things out with an independent party. No matter what her circumstances financially or insurance-wise, there always is counseling help available.
 
Judy, the VIPs spokesperson called me from out of the blue Wednesday. She said that we have a meeting to talk about volunteers in public schools Friday! Well, I stopped working on my 2 papers that are still not finished as I type, and went to the meeting. I volunteered at the school I used to teach, and helped out the nurse. We were talking when all of a sudden they started talking about supervising the Halloween dance! They said you probably can't supervise this dance since you are on crutches. I thought for a moment, and looked at them, and said, I work on paperwork for the nurse because she is my best friend! I had 18 years of supervising dances, grading papers etc. and I'm retired. They were sure I would be so excited to go out and separate boys and girls on the dance floor who were getting too friendly! :gaah: I told them when I came in the 7th graders and teachers were heading outside, and if I had not told a group of lovely children to stop, I would have been mowed down! The teacher was in the middle of the pack! I could have wrung his neck! :headbang:
 
Hi Theresa,

So sorry to hear there is so much t deal with all at once. I empathize with you. I find when there is an avalanche of stuff to work through, start small, one thing at a time.

I'm sure you want to comfort and protect your daughter at this delicate point. It's hard as a parent to know how much to do, because you can't bear to see them in pain, especially during what should be one of the happiest times of her life. With my boys, I find just listening, offering small suggestions, and being available has helped them best. They let me now if they need more, and they know I would lay down in the road for them. I believe they take comfort in that.

Sounds like next week you will get some help with your pain and other health issues. I hope you get on a better path and start to have a few good days where you feel better. Patience is in short supply for most of us, but it is so needed. Just know that this group of cyber friends will always be here for support.

I wish you peace and comfort,

Dawn
 
Thanks everyone for the love and outpouring of support! Today I feel as if I have been holding on for dear llife for a very long time.(literally) I ache all over. I cannot wait until next week to get help with the pain and hopefully the nausea that I am having. Yesterday was better for the nausea but I took something to calm me. I HAD TO!

On top of everything my husband has had a migraine for 7 weeks! this is not unusual for him but after a while dealing with your own pain and the your husband/caregiver is ill and nothing is working for him! That in and of itself if frustrating enough without the back, hand, neck, and knee pain!!! Energy comes and goes....today it went somewhere! Evidently I used it all YESTERDAY!

My daughter and son all know how much I love them even though all I can do is offer support, reassurance and will be here for them regardless of their needs. I pray that my daughter and maybe her husband will get counseling. I honestly think that my son-in-law is freaking out about being a dad even though he wanted this child to the point that after nearly 5 years of trying to conceive and going for intrauterine fertilization for this pregnancy the reality is setting in and he does not know how to deal with it. Prayer works and I am praying fervently!

Thanks for everything!!!
 
Theresa, I am so sorry to hear about the problems your daughter is having. Because your daughter's problems become the mom's problems. You will have to walk a fine line. You will want to wring your SIL's neck, at least I know I would, but you have to stand back and support your daughter in whatever she wants to do. She might forgive him and then if you have said a bunch of nasty things about him, she will pull away from you. So you just have to be there for your daughter in any way that you can. I can't remember, when is the baby due? Did he have a long term affair, or a short laps in memory? It would be very hard to forgive, but some people do. Until we walk in their shoes we don't know how we would react.
 
The baby is due in April 2013. The affair or 'suspected' affair is recent. she is still watching things. I am keeping my mouth shut and supporting her. I am trying to give her ideas to look at the positives which are hard to find right now. It just adds to my stressors of Gastric bypass in March 2012, LTKR the end of July 2012 and 'exploratory' carpal tunnel surgery which wound up being quite extensive as my knee surgery did, along with fibromyalgia! I feel like I have been run over by a Mack truck today. Next Saturday is their 5th wedding anniversary.......it is a very hard time!

thanks for the support and the advice!
 
That is right, your daughter, and my daughter in law are both due next April. My son's and his wife's first too, they will be married almost 4 years when they have theirs and have been trying since day one seeing my DIL is already 38.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom