Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update on Slower Recovery

I could get on the floor and get up reasonably easy before this surgery but gosh I haven’t even tried to sleep on my side yet :rotfl:. But I may try it soon, getting a little tired of my back. I’m hoping once this knee has calmed down I could get on the floor again and get up.:praying:
 
Well, I haven’t been able to get on the floor and up easily for years, so this will be a real test! Yep, sleeping on my side (either one) has been a challenge. I know, I know: PATIENCE!
 
Jockette, MARYCOOL, Sisterpat

Will a new knee ever allow us to get on the floor properly? Looking under a bed? Kneeling? Yoga or other exercises? Playing with the dog? Sitting cross legged? I never thought to ask the doctor or the PT about this.

I want to manage expectations. I have realized that I had no idea about how long and challenging this recovery is.

In the back of my mind I thought I would be good as new by 6 weeks. This was based on the doctor saying I could return to a desk job by that time. Someone else had told me that their dad was back on the golf course at 6 weeks...but now I’m wondering if it was 6 months. :spin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
I’ll be 5 weeks on Memorial Day... I just skipped a trip to Target with my husband. I can’t even Imagine walking through that whole store let alone on a golf course. Ive been working from home for the past two weeks. I asked the dr this week when I can return to the office. He said lets wait until your next visit to discuss. I go back on 6/22. I find working from home I can get up and walk when my knee gets tired and ice when I need to. Last night was the 1st night I slept straight through so that’s a victory!
 
Kneeling after recovery is different for each of us. I think many do not, some can, and others manage it but it’s not comfortable. I don’t even try as I know I won’t be able to do it.
 
My PT said that if I want to work in the garden on my knees, to get a foam pad. I'm not trying that anytime soon, though.
At 13 weeks, I am doing more, I played 5 holes of golf yesterday, I am easing into it. I have overdone it a couple times, and that is not fun! Take care!
 
Can’t imagine being almost anywhere besides a recliner 6 weeks out, certainly not a golf course! I agree with Jockette about the kneeling. Both my brother and Sister have had both knees replaced and neither of them kneels. I think technically they could, but they don’t like the feeling. My brother describes it as “squishy “.
 
I’ve only kneeled on my 8 year old knee a few times but it is not comfortable so I don’t imagine I will ever be doing it unless I have to for some reason but I would have to have a pad of some kind:) :-) (:
 
Mar, sorry about the issues you're having. I've been walking without cane or Walker for probably about 4 weeks now, and even with occasional buckling, I am no longer worried about balance. It's almost like I do a quick curtsy and then just keep going. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Mar, sorry about the issues you're having. I've been walking without cane or Walker for probably about 4 weeks now, and even with occasional buckling, I am no longer worried about balance. It's almost like I do a quick curtsy and then just keep going. Hope you feel better soon.
Since the 45 min massage I got yesterday a lot of that tight band feeling is gone. I’m pretty much walking without anything unless I’m on an uneven surface like grass. Or if I think I might get tired. I actually worked in the garden a little. I go out do something for 20 min and then come in and ice and elevate. I figure walking on uneven grass should help flex more. :yay:
 
Just be careful, Mar! Sounds like you are doing great! That 20 minutes in the garden followed by ice and elevating will serve you well. Keep up the great work!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Mar...I love this! I do things in 20 min increments, too! Very slow as she goes! I love my garden, nothing looks great this year, but I am still putting along the best I can!
I am a slow walker at this time. But hey!! I am walking!!
 
So I decided to go get a few plants for my garden. I have short legs and a long torso so I usually can touch my feet with no problem. I’ve been bending over to pick things up off the floor if my grabber isn’t handy probably 1 week after my surgery. But today a plant I wanted was on the floor bent over and felt a pop in my lower back on the side of my TKR. Just so close to wanting to spasm. I just got some Robaxin at urgent care but they had to change my pain meds I guess Tramadol interacts with it. Just praying it is just a flare up. I do get them from time to time but usually responds to ice and ibuprofen which I can’t take. Tomorrow I stop taking Aspirin. If I don’t take the last dose tonight will it be ok to start Ibuprofen tomorrow?
 
Tomorrow I stop taking Aspirin. If I don’t take the last dose tonight will it be ok to start Ibuprofen tomorrow?
Please check with your surgeon's office or your family doctor regarding any changes in medication.
 
Got some very depressing news today. I had a bit of bladder retention issues with my knee surgery. I was already scheduled for an appointment today for a pelvic ultrasound after I went to Gyn for pelvic pain. So appears I need another major surgery as soon as I’m recovered enough from this surgery. Everything is prolapsing. Apparently a 3 month recovery. Doesn’t look like I have any options except surgery. She is referring me out because apparently it’s a very complicated case. Boy that doesn’t make me feel any better.:sos: I hardly have any issues right now. I’m actually doing better. Anyone had this type of surgery that was a bit more complicated then most? So scared now!
 
Hugs and prayers that all will go well. Can you get a second opinion just to be absolutely sure of this diagnosis? I don’t think I will ever agree to surgery again without at least 2 opinions, unless it is an emergency. :console2:
 
Well they are referring me to a specialist. But I’m not going to rush into this. They have to use mesh and that scares me. I just don’t really know anything about this type of surgery. I live in a small town so it’s possible I could go stay with my sister in California if I don’t feel there is someone qualified enough here. Ugh, I felt better about the knee surgery then this!
 
I am so sorry you have to have more surgery. I have not had exactly that surgery but I had abdominal surgeries for ovarian cancer 14 years ago; hysterectomy, removal of ovaries & tubes, had to remove part of bowel that was attached to uterus, then re-attached and I forget what else. Other than the surgical pain, the worse pain was gas pains due to narcotic pain meds which caused constipation even though I was taking a prescribed stool softener. I eventually recovered completely, would never know I had all that surgery.

Definitely do your research for a surgeon that has successfully done this many times before. Do you think that is what caused your back pain you mentioned awhile ago? :prayer::flwrysmile:
 
That’s great that you made such a great recovery how scary that must have been. I’m so ignorant on this issue I have a lot of education to do. I’m probably more worried because it’s so unknown to me. Don’t know anyone that’s had it other then my sister and hers was only successful for a little while now she has issues again.

My back goes into spasm from time to time from an old injury. I think with knee replacements your back takes an even bigger hit with limping and such so probably went out for one I moved too quickly and wasn’t as careful as I should have been, and it probably is just stressed from gait and limping.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom