TKR Update on Slower Recovery

Listen to Mama Celle! Her advice is golden :heehee: ! We would all be lost without her and the other great moderators!

After just 11 days post op, your p.t. said you have to work harder? I would definitely skip a week or two if you feel comfortable doing that . I didn't even start p.t. until 6 weeks post op. btw, I had my first ever UTI after my TKR in 2017; didn't go to family dr. about it until 3 weeks post op and she gave me antibiotics, which cleared it up.

I agree with everything that Celle said. Be patient and exercise gently. Continue to rest, ice and elevate and walk around.

Reactions: Mar
I get up and walk every 1/1/2-2 hours when awake. My husband just made me a smaller version of a skateboard. So I thought I’ll just do the heel slides with that and do some flexion stretches and walk. Just a bit frustrated right now.
To me this sounds like an excellent plan. Your pt pushed you too hard and your knee protested. You are clearly not just laying around like a lump, which in my mind, would be the only reason to tell someone to "push harder":nah:--particularly at your stage of recovery.

I didn't even start p.t. until 6 weeks post op.
My surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

Some may depend on if you've had ROM limitations before the surgery. In my case the (gentle) exercises were as much about helping the muscles adjust as anything.

12 days post op. I no longer am having the severe pain when lifting my leg anymore, very thankful for that. I can lift it fairly easily now. Since this morning I’m having quite a bit of inner knee pain. It started when I was doing some heel slides this morning. I only did 5 and very gently. Then it happened again when I was up to the bathroom. Just seemed I couldn’t find a position to put my leg in that didn’t hurt. Is this most likely a tendon or ligament? Should I stop my heel slides today? I ice and elevate pretty much all the time unless I get up to walk.

I actually meant medial knee pain. Sorry, lol. Drugs make me loopy!

12 days post op. I no longer am having the severe pain when lifting my leg anymore, very thankful for that. I can lift it fairly easily now.
Woo hoo! :friends:

Since this morning I’m having quite a bit of inner knee pain. It started when I was doing some heel slides this morning. I only did 5 and very gently. Then it happened again when I was up to the bathroom. Just seemed I couldn’t find a position to put my leg in that didn’t hurt. Is this most likely a tendon or ligament? Should I stop my heel slides today? I ice and elevate pretty much all the time unless I get up to walk.
It could be that today is "one of those days." Sometimes it is because you've overdone and sometimes for no apparent reason other than that you're healing your pain will tick up.
What are you doing for pain meds?

I take Tramadol 50mg and Tylenol1000 mg every 8 hours and Oxycodone 5 mg every 8 hours so I’m getting something every 4 hours. My overall pain is well controlled. Just that sharp medial pain mostly when flexing. Trying to limit that to 5 heal slides. Spaced out 3-4 times a day.

If the heal slides are causing you pain, you might try stopping them. Just up and move throughout your house, elevate and ice. Less is more in some cases.

Indeed, Mar, these knees talk, don’t they! I overdid it a bit yesterday, too, with puppy, granddaughter, daughter and son-in-law all here snd an elder cat that likes peace. Peace and quiet, no loud noises. No fast moves!
I saw my PT today too, but I worry if yours is saying you’ll have to “work harder and really push” to get a theoretical number by a certain date. I told my new PT that I would not be held to numbers by dates. Period. I said I know that’s a painful and unnecessary way to recover and recovery continues well beyond 6 months even though PT lasts only 6 weeks. She said she’s supposed to work towards those numbers but she understands and won’t push me past what my knee is comfortable being able to do under my own power. So, I felt okay about that agreement and have worked hard, but won’t let her push me past a nice stretch... Your recovery is going well and I support you holding firm to being fair to your new baby knee!

I got my zip closure for my incision removed yesterday. I was impressed at how much better my incision looks compared to my other LTKR that was with staples 8 years ago. This one Is straight and not at all bumpy looking. Wished I could have taken a picture but she covered it with steri strips. It was only slightly uncomfortable (tape coming off of skin). But not bad.

I feel really comfortable walking with the walker, no limp but I did tell him I still feel that slight buckling feeling maybe twice a day so he just said stay with the walker for now. When does that feeling go away for most people? If you did stop your walker and that happened did you loose your balance? I think I was using a cane at this point last time but again different knee that will have its own timeline.

I called PT this week and cancelled for this week. Talked to my PA about how I don’t want to over do like last time and I wasn’t liking how she was talking about needing to get some more improvement. Which of course just means she wants to force to pain. He said 87 flex is fine at this point. My extension is good. He said just talk to her, if she doesn’t want to listen let him know and we will find a different PT. I wanted to stay there because they have a pool and when I can I want to be able to work out in it.

I’m still having that medial pain with flexion, a little frustrating as I think I could bend more if that wasn’t there. Ice also seems to make that pain more intense, so weird! So I just ice around it, lol.

Ice also seems to make that pain more intense, so weird! So I just ice around it, lol.
Maybe try keeping your ”ice pack” (whatever you are using) in the refrigerator, rather than in the freezer, that might feel more comfortable.

Hi Mar - I read your post about knee buckling . I’m having that issue also occasionally . I saw OS surgeon for 6 week checkup (TRKR 4/2) and told him -he said that Quadriceps muscle needs to be strengthened and that should help . I am working on those at PT and home -it’s mostly like tightening the muscle on the front of your thigh. I use a cane and have been for the last 3 weeks . He said he was ok with my using cane for safety issues . I am continuing to have stomach issues since the surgery. If this continues I will see my GI doc -OS said to stop pain med and asprin so I’ll see how stomach goes after this . Have. It eaten a healthy meal since this surgery and have lost 10 lbs . Just nauseous and stomach issues ugh !
I

Getting worried! My older RTKR is actually hurting me more then my new knee. I have been elevating both legs and now have been icing it as well. It hurts in the back if my knee whenever I walk. I’ve been trying to be sure I’m sharing the weight between the two when walking with my walker but so far it just isn’t happy:groan:Any ideas?

I am continuing to have stomach issues since the surgery. If this continues I will see my GI doc -OS said to stop pain med and asprin so I’ll see how stomach goes after this . Have. It eaten a healthy meal since this surgery and have lost 10 lbs . Just nauseous and stomach issues ugh !
Did stopping the narcotics and aspirin help your stomach issues? If you did stop were you able to tolerate the pain if you still have knee pain? I’m kind of shocked I haven’t had any tummy issues since the surgery, because for the last 7 months it has been a problem for me. I actually think a lot was due to stress about having the surgery as well as all the covid and all the craziness going on. But that is lessening as I hardly watch the news anymore, the surgery is over, and I’ve had my vaccines:rotfl:

I take Tramadol 50mg and Tylenol1000 mg every 8 hours and Oxycodone 5 mg every 8 hours so I’m getting something every 4 hours. My overall pain is well controlled. Just that sharp medial pain mostly when flexing. Trying to limit that to 5 heal slides. Spaced out 3-4 times a day.
Sometimes it's just a weird soft tissue pain. I had one in the back of my knee on and off with certain motions that just went away.

Getting worried! My older RTKR is actually hurting me more then my new knee. I have been elevating both legs and now have been icing it as well. It hurts in the back if my knee whenever I walk. I’ve been trying to be sure I’m sharing the weight between the two when walking with my walker but so far it just isn’t happy:groan:Any ideas?
Yes, sometimes the other knee will act up a bit b/c it's taking more of the load and you're not walking completely normal yet. Sounds like you're doing the right things.

It is a bit better today, so maybe I just over did and didn’t realize. Thanks.

No I am still having stomach issues -I am going to make appt next week with either PCP or Gi doc . Nausea is better but still have lack of appetite and anything I eat seems to send me running to the bathroom within a few hours . I’m only taking two Advil every 4-6 hours .
In addition to these issues I’m having groin and right butt pain in leg that the knee was replaced.
That started yest -the PT said he felt it was because I’m walking differently with the new knee and they can work it out at PT -he did stretching and massage and it felt better but it woke me up at 2:30 this morning.Ugh!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kelseydee