TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Day 27 blog:

Now well into the boring recovery stage, where each day, the discomfort becomes less, the swelling reduces, and the ROM increases.
I don't want to wish my life away, but I'm bored with it.
The worst aspect is that I feel capable of driving, but I have to wait another 15 days before I can do that legally.
SIGH,,,,,
 
You are nearly one month out. I remember it well - boring! The mind says go and the body just isn't quite ready. You'll be hitting the road again soon! :driver:
 
Oh yes. Bored bored bored bored. I'm also bored. May I recommend taking up knitting? I learned after the first go because I was even more bored then. It is pretty diverting, and useful. My problem is I'm not good enough to knit while laying down with my feet propped up.
 
@Tykey , just keep building your strength and when you finally get cleared to drive, you'll be able to drive all day if you want to, without getting even slightly tired or sore. I was surprised that it seemed almost like a reflex; like that old truism that you never forget how to ride a bike (or drive a car). It was nice to try jamming on the brakes really hard just to see what would happen, and discovering that it caused no pain at all. Makes me feel safer out on the roads.

As for being bored, just being able to get out of the house with my sweetie driving was wonderful for me. It almost made tears come from my eyes to see the streets of our neighborhood, the beautiful trees and sky, and so on, after being stuck in my den ("in TKR jail") for a month or so. Maybe your wife could take you on a pleasure drive each day, just to build your morale.

@luvcats , I was laughing so hard at your post! I can't even use my iPad with my feet elevated on the LoungeDoctor. It gets too heavy for my wrists. Knitting that way sounds impossible to me. I'd suggest podcasts.
 
I've arranged a jamming session with my musical mates next week, so I can look forward to that. I'm already walking the dogs regularly, but that's frustrating as it's still a slow, short walk rather than striding out in the beautiful countryside we have locally.
I can't imagine knitting (yet)
 
That sounds like fun! Along those lines, you can also practice on your Dobro now that you can play it again! :)
 
Reading your post with amusement - has cheered me up endlessly also giving me positive vibes for my 1st TKR next week as you said a positive attitude and great humour helps.
Whereabouts in Yorkshire do you hail from - I went to boarding school in Harrogate a few years ago ( Lol ) now residing in the warmer climes of Portugal.

Concerning the knee itching, a few years ago I suffered 3rd degree burns to both my legs ( gas explosion) and the worst part of healing was the itch. I used both E45 cream and plenty of Ice ( I used the wine cooler wraps) both were a blessing and now I always make sure I have E45 in stock - sadly we can't get it here but a regular supply of English friends keep me stocked up haha.

Keep up the good recovery and keep writing the blogs.
 
We usually recommend not putting any creams or lotions on incisions until they are completely healed, with no scabs or open areas.

That said, what helps one person may not help another and potential allergies have to be considered.

Before trying any new products on the skin, it's wise to try it first on a test area well away from your incision.
 
Hi Sara, delighted to know you are enjoying my blog, and to know that it's encouraging you for next week.
E45 is what I've got, I think it was given to me by a hospital following other surgery about 3 years ago.
I'm a bit further south than Harrogate, near Sheffield.
Good luck with your surgery, it's a bit of a challenge particularly in the first week, but try not to think of it as one big challenge, break it down into little challenges and find solutions to each one, then you have lots of successes as well.
I'm looking forward to your own progress, when things are a bit black, there are lots of lovely people on here who pile in with encouragement.
 
Day 28 blog:
Some fantastic news to share. Delving in the freezer, I found some Spotted Dick AND a Jam Roly Poly. Some days life is really good.
How people manage to get through this without puddings is amazing! They should be on prescription.
2 weeks before I can drive, then off to the mystic land of Northumberland for a weeks vacation. Lots of fish and chips and kippers.
I think I might be developing a food fixation
 
Day29 blog:

I knew it would happen, but didn't know when or why. I've actually done less, but I'm back sitting here with leg elevated, paracetamols taken and frozen peas have made a reappearance. Stabbing pains in the shin has been icing on the cake.
To morrow will be another day

The weather is much colder as well
 
Oh dear - what did you do @Tykey ? Any new activity that could have brought this on? Hope all this eases quickly!
 
The only change has been going up the stairs bad leg first, just to try to build up strength. I'll bin that idea for a while
 
@Tykey, that is very interesting. It reminds me of my old weight lifting experiences before my knees got so bad. Weight lifting was my favorite activity at the gym. If I overdid, the pain would show up a little the next day, but would utterly clobber me the day after. There is no reason to think there is any relation whatsoever between that observation and your TKR recovery, but it does remind me of that.
 
Last edited:
I think it shows how we must increase exercise little by little, especially if it involves new muscle groups which have been virtually inactive for a few weeks.
I would have been better to do only one step each time I go up, instead of being my normal bullish self and doing every one.
 
Hi Tykey, I'm 2 days ahead of you and definitely at the boring stage. I decided to take a 20 minute walk on Monday...it included some small hills and I really paid for it on Tuesday and Wednesday!!! I'm doing only some light dusting and can't stand for too long before my knee and IT band start yelling at me.

I think it shows how we must increase exercise little by little, especially if it involves new muscle groups which have been virtually inactive for a few weeks.
I also had the valgus deformity corrected with this TKR and now my entire R side (back, IT band, and shin/calf have been adjusting from their former position...on top of those new muscle groups that haven't seen much activity!
 
shows how we must increase exercise little by little, especially if it involves new muscle groups which have been virtually inactive for a few weeks.
Live and learn right @Tykey ? Just not the right time yet for those stairs. But as you well know, what seems impossible one day is easy the next. Just keep at it!
 
True, Jacey
I've recovered this morning. My nature is to push things, but I'll push gently with other things for the time being.
 
So far today, and it's only lunchtime, Ive:
Cleaned some windows
Changed water in the fishtank
Cleaned the carpets
Cooked lunch
Walked the dogs (but I paracetamolised myself first!)

No discomfort at all, and the dog walking was the first time I could concentrate on walking properly and developing my knee bend.
24 hours is a long time in tkr rehab

PS a real treat this arvo, a trip to the GP for my annual flu jab!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom