TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

The benefit of having the clips out and marinading the front of the knee and scar with cheapo skin cream is already showing benefits.
@Tykey , I'm a little concerned that you're already putting cream on your scar. Has the incision healed completely, with no scabs or slightly open areas? If not, it's best to not put anything on it, in case you introduce some infection.

The only exception to this that I'd recommend is the Active Skin Repair Hydrogel that BoneSmart recommends (at the top of the page). It is safe to put that on an unhealed wound, as it also promotes healing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for caring, Celle.
I took advice from the Senior Nurse when she took out the clips. She said it was well healed and dry, and it was perfectly OK to daub the jollop on straight away.
Of course it would have been different if it had been weeping etc.
About 3 years ago I had an op which required a large incision, 6 inches, under my jaw. I had the same advice then, with no problem. Maybe it's a UK thing, but it's working well.
 
I hope you have all had breakfast, but here's a photo. My leg isn't as short and fat as it looks
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Tykey's second knee replacement
    IMG_20190923_094336.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 214
Ouch!!!!

Just caught up with you after leaving my phone at daughters for a week...
You make me howl with laughter.... jam roly polys... oh yes... should be on prescription for TKR’s... I’m so pleased your recovery has been Gold Standard... I’m hoping to follow your example... it’s lifted my spirits reading your thread..
Pre op for me tomorrow [emoji51]

Keep on @Tykey It seems to be working xx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, Hoppy Nanny, I'm delighted it helps. I bet its lovely in Bognor today, off to the beach with you, Xmas and Winter are just around the corner. Its beautiful up here in Yorkshire☀️☀️
 
I've just tried and succeeded:yes!::happydance::yay:

I can now get back to playing my dobro, because my knee will bend enough without any real discomfort.

This isn't me, but I'm working on being as good.

 
You still appear to have small scabs in places. I have a few too and was told categorically today NOT to get into the pool yet. I was surprised, because it feels adequately “closed”. But apparently not.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Your incision itself looks pretty well healed. It's just the stitch holes that still have scabs.

The main danger from putting creams on too soon is that some people use cream from a tube that has already been used elsewhere and could have been contaminated with bacteria from that.
As long as you start with a completely new tube of cream, I guess that danger can be minimized.
 
Back from physio, he's pleased with progress.
I'm to continue with existing exercises
Talked about the shin splints, he says that is caused by not landing on my heel and rolling into the step. He suggests I use one crutch on the opposite side which will help with doing this with lower pressure.
So all is good, and I've just mowed the lawn to celebrate.
 
I've just tried and succeeded:yes!::happydance::yay:

I can now get back to playing my dobro, because my knee will bend enough without any real discomfort.

This isn't me, but I'm working on being as good.
Terrific! :loveshwr::flwrysmile::yay::happydance: That may not be you but lots of practice can do wonders, as I'm sure you know.

Glad your PT has some ideas about what may have caused the shin splints.
 
I sure hope you are kidding!
Nope! But it's only a small lawn

My physio really knows his stuff, already I'm finding using that one crutch and getting my heel down first is reducing tightness.

I mentioned that splints came on after walking the dogs almost half a mile. All he said was if I never tried, I'd never know. He's as pragmatic as me, almost
 
Wow, for your knee's sake I hope it is very, very little!
 
I could argue that my rapid recovery is due to trying anything, or everything, as early as possible. But I dont know if that's true. Everybody is different.
Certainly my knee feels just as good after as before.
Its no good doing virtually nothing for weeks, then becoming very active. We have to keep doing something extra, or new, every couple of days. It's like eating that elephant
 
In my recovery I found that if I did a new thing one day, then rest, ice and elevate the next, my pain and swelling stayed down. Soon I was able to do two new things one day and rest the next and be OK. Before you knew it, no resting days in between were needed.
 
Great strategy, sistersinhim!
We don't get it perfectly right, but there's always a codeine at night.
Which reminds me that my knee is throbbing tonight
 
@Tykey , I'm a little concerned that you're already putting cream on your scar. Has the incision healed completely, with no scabs or slightly open areas? If not, it's best to not put anything on it, in case you introduce some infection.

A friend (Sue) is helping me to see that the dogs have lots of exercise.
The other day she brought them back from a long walk, then slipped their leads whereupon one of them hurtled onto my bare scar. A couple of minutes later, Sue remembered to tell me that the dog had been rolling in dog muck, and might need a bath
.
 
It's amazing how we are given different advice. After major surgery 10 years ago, I was advised not to use anything on my scar for 6 weeks or I stood a chance of the wound re-opening so I did the same for my knee and yet I know others who have been told it's ok after 3 weeks.

I hope your knee has been well cleaned now - you did make me laugh though.
 
Lindylee, yes we all seem to get different advice, add to that each of us have drastic differences in our attitude to risk. That can range all the way from paranoia that every single germ will "get me" to a "shrug of the shoulders response". I'm definitely a shrugger
Professionals who are caring for us will always err very much on the side of caution, because there's nothing in it for them to do otherwise
 
Shrugging doesn't seem to be doing you much harm! I probably fall somewhere between that and cautious landing me in the ODIC club more than once, but not too often fortunately. I do agree that sometimes we have to try something out to see whether or not we can do it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom