TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Day19 blog:

I think I've now reached that point that I can do everything I choose to do, without significant discomfort.

Many of the activities I can't do for as long or as far as I want, yet. I know this restriction will reduce over the next days, weeks or months

I know there are potential pitfalls somewhere, but if I fall into a pit I shall climb back out. I've just realised this adventure is a bit like that board game, snakes and ladders

I have one target to aim for. In 6 weeks, I'm on holiday in Northumberland, a remote land far to the north east of England. Famed for its almost limitless beautiful beaches, perfect for walking with my dogs. I think I need to walk 3 miles, so that's my target.

I'll get stuck into building up.
 
Slow and steady in that buildup, now Tykey. You probably knew I was going to say that, didn't you! :heehee:
 
Sounds like you are doing well in your recovery! The positive attitude heals the soul! Have fun on your holiday!
 
I love Northumberland, have a great time and don't overdo it!
 
I'm walking better with the heeling and a crutch. Much smoother and faster.
I know it's very early days, but the only thing holding me back is the gradual increase in throbbing around the knee. It's not the actual joint, which has never hurt,its just below the kneecap, and the shin. The deadleg from the tourniquet strap is now almost gone.
I can certainly alleviate it with paracetamols to a degree, but I think time is required. I need some patience pills
 
I used to have pain in that area too, but after reading your post I realized that by now it has mostly gone away. That's pretty terrific and I wouldn't be surprised if it went away for you too, at sometime within the next month.
 
Day21 blog:

I really can't believe my new knee was fitted only 3 weeks ago. I'm missing the puddings!
Progress continues with giant strides forward interspersed with small steps backwards.
For once, I'm following the advice of my PT, just frequently and gently pushing the bend. Push it to the point where a bit more would be really painful. Whilst I'm not measuring the ROM, it's obvious I'm getting a few more degrees because walking is easier, and I'm clearing step overs much easier.
The use of one crutch, purely to help me use my opposite heel is also helping, I now glide across the floor, stately like a galleon (well, almost).
I've got 3 crutches, but spend half my time looking for one.
No pain any more, just a bit of discomfort when vertical, but I often don't even feel it.
My wife says I'm now fit enough to do the ironing
 
Day23 blog:
Now well and truly out of the challenging stage. Every day brings less and less discomfort, no trace of anything which would fall into a "pain" description at any time.
To be honest, it's now boring
I could get back to driving, but legally I have to wait for day 42.
I now rarely remember it whilst pottering about the house.
The only consideration I give to it is doing my gentle bending exercises, and I've achieved a good 5 deg ROM in the last week.
Im so bored, I really am going to do some ironing.!!!
 
My wife says I'm now fit enough to do the ironing
Gosh, Tykey, I think you could have faked it around your wife for just a bit longer to get out of ironing. What a sterling person you are to take on this chore. Come on around one day. I have tons of ironing that needs to be done! :heehee: I'll make puddings and a cherry pie.
 
Cherry pie is another of my favourites, although not too common over here, our cherries aren't as good as yours.
If you could stretch to making a Spotted Dick, I'll be on the next plane.

On the knee subject, today I spent a few minutes on my lap steel guitar. That requires sitting down with both feet on the floor with a good knee bend. I was quite comfortable whilst doing it, but when I stood up, the knee was complained a lot for half an hour, but I guess overall it will have done some good. I couldn't walk as far as yesterday with the dogs, sadly for them.
To make it up I've given the knee a treat this evening, had my first bath and held the knee for 20 minutes in front of a spa jet. If a swollen knee could smile, it would
 
If you could stretch to making a Spotted Dick
Ohhhhh.....the dreaded Spotted Dick. I don't know if I could go that far, Tykey.....I'm thinking your bank account is now saved from the expense of a plane ticket to America. :rotfl:
 
Good news!! I've been concerned how much weight I've put on during this adventure. I've been eating a terrible diet, because it's been easy to just eat peanut butter sandwiches than put together a healthy meal, although bananas have played a good part in it. I darent even think about the puddings!
So I've been brave and got on the scales this morning, and I've only gained 4lbs, which has amazed me. I haven't even made allowance for the new lump of metal in the knee, nor for the fact that my leg looks twice as large as the other one.
There must be a few pounds of fluid slopping about in there.
Other than elevation and icing, I'm looking for good ways to reduce the swelling, and I can get back to my normal svelt figure
 
You may be interested to know that the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC has data posted online that we need about 15 extra calories per lb of body weight while healing from surgery. Unfortunately, they don't say for how long. I looked around a lot trying to figure that out. So those extra healing calories probably balanced out all the pudding.

I found with July that somewhere between 6 and 7 weeks most of the swelling just went away without doing anything different. I have my fingers crossed Newbie will do so as well.

I'm pretty sure I read from one of the mods that our knew bionic knees only weigh a few ounces and we don't get to claim a weight increase from them. Darn the luck.
 
Thanks Luvcats.
I can't remember when the swelling disappeared with my first one. But I can't recollect the swelling really being an issue.
15 calories would be 3400 total for me. That's too much per day, so I'm guessing it must be for each surgery total. ie 2 free days.
 
15 calories/pound would be insanely high for me too, so during the first 6-7 weeks of recovery, I let my appetite guide me, figuring that recovery was my top priority and I could lose any excess weight later on.

As for swelling, Tuesday will mark exactly 7 weeks since my TKR. I have noticed during the past couple of days that while my knee is still pretty swelled up, the swelling seems to be a bit less. Could I be imagining this? Oh wow. Maybe this reduction in swelling is wishful thinking but I am hoping the 7 weeks of recovery has been enough for it to really be diminishing a bit. My knee has gone from gargantuan to just swelled.
 
Day 25 blog:

Big problem has raised its head, totally unexpected!!
The hair on my knee is now regrowing, and is very annoying with its itching and scratching. I darent try Veet that close to my scar. It's too cold for shorts!

But there is some good news, it looks like the swelling is now reducing (Carole predicted this), so things are getting easier. I can now go up stairs reasonably comfortably, bad leg first. I need to build up strength now.

Onwards and Upwards,,
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom