Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Day 32 blog:

Decided to push a little bit harder today when walking the dogs.
I did all the necessary preparation, a few stretches and a double helping of jam Roly poly.
If you remember a few days ago I was suffering from bad shin splints, which my PT corrected by making sure I put my heel onto the floor and rolling into each step.
Today, after about 1/4 mile I got new pains down the inside of my lower leg.
What's going on here, I wondered.
I realised I was now holding the front of my foot up when swinging it forward. The woodland paths weren't smooth, and I was avoiding catching my toes on the floor, as I might pitch forward on my fizzog (British slang for face) or jolt my knee which could be painful. Sorted it, and the pain eased.

It's amazing how much problem is caused by slight problems of gait, and we have to be aware.

Walking isn't as easy as one might think, even though toddlers do it quite well.

Otherwise just steady improvement day by day, and looking good.
 
It's amazing how much problem is caused by slight problems of gait, and we have to be aware.
Isn't that the truth?! I'm noticing more every day how many truly terrible habits I have.

I envy your lovely woodland paths to walk.
 
On this morning's walkies, I took to using an elbow crutch on the opposite side.
I don't need it to walk, but it's amazing how much better my gait is. A bit slower, but a lot more comfortable by the end.
Might well take the hounds another walk this evening. Two walkies a day will be a first!!
 
Day 34 blog:

Two walkies went brilliantly, no reaction at all. Dogs are happy

Today, Autumn (the fall) is here, and I'm sat in our conservatory. We have a very large grape vine growing in the roof to provide summer shade.
All the leaves are falling on me, it looks like I'm a character from Babes in the Wood.
It needs cutting down, so it's my job to get up there with a stepladder and cutters.
I never thought I'd be able to tackle this 34 days ago! But maybe I can't? We shall see
 
Absolutely no problem, and I took the dogs for walkies first. No aches or pains! Apart from going up the steps best foot forward, I never gave it a thought.
Subject to me being stupid, and getting my gradual improvement in ROM, I reckon I'm mended.
I'm dead chuffed

Time for a reward, yes it's going to be spotted dick for lunch
 
I really went for it, so this ARVO went for a two mile walk as well. No problem, no pain or soreness. It was a bit stiff of course, but less stiff when I finished.
Double dead chuffed now
 
People might have noticed that Yorkshire folk are a proud bunch, and have our own strange language.
We also have our own airline, note the mushy peas, fish and chips in newspaper, and ferret down the trousers (that's where we keep them)

 
Hilarious video!!! That reminded me of Hawaiian Airlines back in the 1950's. People would actually hang live chickens by their feet, from the overhead compartments. (The chickens were intended as gifts for relatives on one of the other Hawaiian islands where they were going). And people also brought their own meals aboard. In those days, anyone who wanted to walk across the runway was allowed to proceed directly to the plane, or even into the plane without a ticket until time for take-off.

I really went for it, so this ARVO went for a two mile walk as well. No problem, no pain or soreness. It was a bit stiff of course, but less stiff when I finished.
Double dead chuffed now
As you should be! How terrific to walk for two miles with no pain or soreness. Your recovery is progressing very nicely. :yay:
 
Carole, I'm sure your knee will suddenly decide to behave well, and you will be away making even better progress than you are already doing
You are doing much the same approach I did, always willing to have a go at new things (or old things you used to do,) but willing to back off if necessary.
 
I did go to a large supermarket today, and inside I walked all around it and then bought seven items. For me, that much walking was great exercise and probably a little more than I have done so far. I used my rollator walker, and occasionally stopped to rest, but did not have to sit down in it. My knees are both a little sore, but not too bad. I feel fine just resting and icing, which is what I intend to do tonight.
 
@Tykey, that video really made me laugh. I loved the ferret and the pilot's tapper in the cockpit. Also, the hair dryers and organ in the upper class section. What a hoot!!!

@Carole4815 .... hubby and I and another couple flew to Puerto Rico in 1998 and people on the plane brought chickens and put them in the overhead bin. All the Puerto Ricans were up walking around and chatting and wouldn't sit down and buckle up until the pilot finally told them we weren't going anywhere until they sat down and got quiet. They eventually did and we eventually took off. But I'll tell you, it was quite an experience. It wasn't an off-the-wall airline either. I can't remember which airline it was, but it was one of our major ones. Back then not many people were going to Puerto Rico for vacations.
 
Sounds like a busy one for you @Tykey
Been following your progress and although boredom has set in your blog has provided both amusement & eased my fears of my impending TKR on Monday... I don’t think people realise just how much it helps those following on.

Enjoy your flu jab!! :friends: xx
 
Delighted it's helping you Hoppy.
Smile in the face of adversity!

Ok, so it has a few temporary downsides, but overall it's a great thing for us, and there are many small and large, excellent achievements to enjoy along the way.

Get the pudding stocks and custard in, more important than pain meds (well, almost,)

I never, ever, had a solitary regret for choosing to have either of my tkrs.

Good luck, I'll be looking out for you.
 
Congratulations! :yay: These little improvements that surprise us now and then are so much fun and so encouraging, both to ourselves and to others.
 
The good news keeps coming

Just been out for walkies in the woods. The knee is far more flexible today and I could walk faster and further. My extension has always been good but now hits a solid stop when I stride forward.
The message is that I do minimal stretching exercises, but don't avoid reaching the limits. So keep on being gentle with yourself and NEVER EVER LET A PHYSIO TOUCH YOU, and tell you all that codswallop about the window of opportunity!!!

It comes naturally if you have confidence and keep doing what you want, and if you can't, try again tomorrow!
 
Day 37 blog

The swelling is going down fast now.
That explains why my knee feels "clonky", presumably because the ligaments take a bit longer to tighten up.
The same thing happened with my first TKR, and just seemed to last a few days.
Only 5 days until I can drive!!
 
Day 38 blog.

Today, my knee is a bit more uncomfortable. Then I realised the swelling is far less.
It makes sense when I worked out that the swelling isn't there for fun, it's there to provide a protective cushion whilst the injury heals. Its job is now done!
It makes even more sense when it dawned on me that the discomfort is purely located in the actual joint, where I listened to the surgeon hammering and it only 5 weeks ago.
Its the first time it's ever felt like I'd have expected before I ever had a TKR.
I know this discomfort will now gradually reduce in it's own sweet time, until it disappears completely.
For the time being I might paracetamolise myself before taking my patient dogs for longer walks.

Now only 14 sleeps until my first knee has it's 10th birthday I think I'll make some real jam Roly Poly and put some candles on it.

4 days after that I'll drive 240 miles to the mystic land of Northumberland, and I'll be fit for endless walks on the deserted beaches, imagining the events of 1200 years ago when the Vikings invaded Britain along this coast, raping and pillaging as they went.

Life is good, except the weather is wet and 'orrible.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom