THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

@sunbunny and @nochoice - My husband had his 70th birthday yesterday and we were planning a party but cancelled because we were too tired from looking after the puppy and the place is a mess - dog toys everywhere-rugs rolled up. :catdance::dogwalk: Last year I would have had the energy -I think that is what I find most frustrating about this hip op - the inability to do what I used to be able to do. A friend who had his hip done in May dropped by to compare and his iron was low so they put him on iron supplements - the dr broke his femur so he was in the OR for 5 hours and lost a lot of blood. Maybe I should ask my dr for blood work just to check.
Do you find your energy still low?
Cheers!
 
@Granny Di yes energy, endurance, and strength. But all of that was low prior to surgery with pain. Now the pain is gone and I am walking 100% better. My mobility prior to surgery was very low not as bad as prior to my second knee replacement but low. I think it takes time to build it back up but if you add in our back and other hip issues how much should we do or pay the price of that collapse as well. It truly is a daily balance of pushing myself to do more and not hurting what I have gained. I find I accomplish more if I set small goals and rest in between. Then I am less likely to become frustrated and throw in the towel.
Adding a new puppy is like having a new baby and and an energy drain all on it's own. No wonder you are tired. Lol. But oh the rewards and joy!
Do you find the energy replacement time is much longer after doing a strenuous activity? It takes me at least a day to recover from PT and we are not spring chickens anymore.....oh my lions, tigers and bears. Interesting thought on iron from blood loss. Hugs!
 
@Granny Di
Oh you poor dear! Fighting kidney stones is probably what has taken your energy. Then add a new puppy and that is a formula for exhaustion~ I am sure. Remember to rest and drink fluids!
When I had a UTI a few weeks ago~ it scared me how fatigued I was thinking it was from my hip surgery~ I am past the exhaustion now that I have no infection. I am sure you will feel better soon! Delegate puppy duty for a while until you get your strength back!:dogwalk:
 
Thanks for the advice @Sullivand. My husband is top dog and does most of the puppy care. Someone had mentioned on the forum that pain meds create fatigue and also low ferritin levels -will have to check it all out. I am just comparing myself to what I used to be able to do.
So happy that you don't have infection. And you are back to school soon! I retired in 2001 and don't regret it one bit although if I had stayed longer I would have a better pension. The last two years were the best of my teaching career so it was wonderful to leave on a high note.
Cheers!
Diane
 
Start of Week 21 : After a week of hurting all over (it seemed) and going through various worries and scenarios -infection, scar problems, tendonitis etc - I felt good today and biked 16.5 kms in 1:15. Will see how I feel tomorrow. Puppy continues to be tiring and a challenge -I don't recommend getting a pup after THR.:sos:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Granny Di
I hope you continue to feel a bit better. How are the stones? From my husband's experience I know they can be agony. I suppose it is because of the age we are, Bonesmarties seem to have other things as well as their hip(s) to contend with. Impressed by your biking. The nearest I get to that is using my knee scooter. "Oh well, mustn't grumble" as my grandmother used to say!
 
I'm grumbling today. :tiredwheel: I drove to town today to wash clothes, shop, get my hair done and I am so tired. I am sore too so grumble, grumble, grumble. I knew when I had enough but still had more to do so kept going. Back at the lake now thinking about how thrilled I was to be able to drive and get out after the surgery. How soon we forget!
 
Start of Week 22: I woke up with knee pain when I walk. The pains seem to move around like a snake looking for a place to hide. I think that walking up and down the hill from our cottage to the lake is causing various aches and pains even though it is not very steep -I counted 60 walking steps - I used to run it all the time when I was young-two years ago. :heehee:. Ha! We took the puppy and the old dog for a slow 2 km walk this morning and she is now in the lead.
I have not been doing any physio exercises until yesterday when I decided I had better get at it although daily living is tiring here at the lake. I still find it hard to bend down and pick up things like squished blueberries the grandkids drop on the floor. I wonder if I will ever get better? After the surgery I could see daily small bits of recovery but lately I can't see any progress at all, just new aches and pains.:sigh::sad:
On a positive note the summer weather has been perfect! If you read this far thanks for listening.
Diane
 
I hope you get through this feeling of no progress. I think the further from surgery you get, the more gradual it gets. Also gets harder to notice small changes.

For me, I get complacent feeling good. Then, if I get a headache (for example) I think about how terrible it feels and how good I'll feel once it's gone. Then after the headache is gone after a short time it just becomes normal and I forget how bad a headache is.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
WEEK 25 UPDATE: I can't report any progress as there is none. I am still having pain when I get up after sitting and it is not getting better. Walking without aids is good once I get going and I do very well on soft sandy even surfaces-up to 6.5 kms. Yesterday we had a big gang (16!) here at the cottage and I walked up and down the hill too many times so I was hurting last night and still am this morning. :elevate: Got the icepack on right now!
I love the cycling but haven't been on the bike for a while. (top distance was about 17 kms)
Knee still feels numb but numb, tingly feeling is not as bad as before so that is a sign of healing I suppose.

I saw my OS at 12 weeks and I was never told to make another appt so I'm not sure if I should be seeing him again. I read on BS that people have several checkups after surgery - not me unless I need it.
We were away for a week with a reunion of university friends (10 of us old-timers) held at my daughter's cottage and we had a ball. 9 went on a major all day hike but I had to miss it of course and spent the day with our puppy. We have been getting together since graduation in 1968.
We were hosting so I overdid it and I am exhausted and hurting now - especially after yesterday's gang. It is hot and the lake water is warm so a perfect September - except if you are back in the classroom. I sympathize with you teacher hippies who have to work in that heat and humidity.
Uneven surfaces are bad for me. They make my thigh and knee hurt.
I have an appt in October for orthotics to address the one cm leg length differential.
I am going to take today off - it is rainy so a good time to take a break and focus on healing.
So 16 more days to make the 6 month mark where we are told we should be back to normal activities but what is "normal"?
I haven't been to see my physio as it is too far to drive in from the cottage and she told me I was doing well and to keep on trucking.
Bad news -I have gained 13 pounds! Yikes! :scare:
Our puppy is getting big and she was a good walking partner as we progressed with slow walks of one km up to 4 kms and now I cannot keep up with her!
:dogwalk:
That's my update!
Diane
 
Hi @Granny Di
Nearly 6 months on and what a struggle. Do you think there is any point in seeing your OS again? Mine was more to do with the mechanics of the hip itself and not interested in the wider picture. If your OS is better than that is it worth having an appt with them? Who with in the Canadian system can assess what is going on with the pain ,for you? It is clear that you are getting pain when you do a lot - the over did it club but at 6 months is it a matter of plodding on or not. I don't know.

I liked your phrase "when I was young - 2 years ago". This process ages us by about 100 yrs I think - but we do bounce back - when the roller coaster stops.

You mentioned pains in all of your joints. Are you taking Statins. I read recently that this can be a common side effect. It feels you need some magic potion that will boost your energy, subdue your pains and get back to norm which can be so illusive. In fact I need that magic potion too!

I was doing comparatively well 3-4 months post hip, then broke my foot and the struggles are similar for me. I felt relief that I was having my plaster cast off BUT the boot I have now makes my body lopsided. I have a back ache and knee aches instead. I have been emotionally up and down. Feels never ending. Then something really little shows I am moving forward - a couple of days ago I got back a little feeling in my big toe -- cause for celebration.

The hardest thing is to know it really will get better. This is not helped by overdoing it. Yesterday I did a little bit of gardening, felt so satisfied, cooked a proper meal, felt so satisfied, played with little grandson, so enjoyable then suffer, suffer in the evening - foot swollen and throbbing, hip aching - had to ice and elevate which as usual worked wonders. I really ought to pace myself to one thing a day then rest and read etc. But sometimes I don't want to her sensible LOL.

Oh @Granny Di I am sure you will progress if you resign your membership of the Overdone it club. Take a break from it - dare I say it until Christmas?! I am going to try.

[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
Look after yourself x
 
Thanks for the laugh @copsham - I know I overdo it -overdid it yesterday for sure with 17 people here and me fussing and feeding. I am staying on the computer today and reading my novel. No walking -maybe just a few stretches. I do not take any drugs except Tylenol - and Vitamin B with Folic acid.
I keep telling myself that I will get better -I just haven't seen enough improvement in the last month to believe it.
You are certainly an inspiration and such a help on BS.Thank you so much!
 
@Josephine - I have been having pain in my knee and thigh and I think it is probably from overdoing it - soft tissue pain -but I welcome your thoughts on this. We are living at our cottage and there is a slope -not steep - but it takes about 60 steps to reach the cottage from the lake. Could this be causing the pain? If you think so I will not worry about it being something wrong with the implant. Thanks for listening.
Diane
 
Before I opine on your pain, some questions ...

First can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart? Please differentiate between the hip and the knee chart as their references are almost identical! (must redo them sometime!) Just say Hip is xxx and knee is xxx for clarification

Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!


[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!


[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!


After this I'd like to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
@Josephine - Thank you for responding so quickly. I believe I had the posterior approach but I did not get into details about the surgery and I did not ask for the surgeons report. I did watch several surgeries on youtube so I would have an idea of what was going to happen. My incision is about 10 inches long.

Pain level is a 3.
I balanced today on one leg for 20 seconds without pain but as soon as I took the weight off my leg the leg was filled with pain but it did not last. I was able to do that several times easily so I am strong but as soon as I stop weight bearing the pain comes but it does not last until after the next step.
PAIN is in RF1 A,B,C,D and RF2 A,B,C,D, in the bottom grid picture of knees.
After sitting for a long time - a half hour or more - I feel groin pain when standing up. After a few toddler steps and standing erect I can walk very well.
Pain is at R1F, R2F, R3F, L4F, L5F, L6F in the hip grid frontal view.

Pain Meds: I have been taking extra strength tylenol 500 mg 4 times a day - less or more depending on my activity levels.
I have been walking up to 6 kms on sandy flat roads and trails but usually about 2 to 4 kms. I find uneven surfaces bother me more than flat surfaces. We have a puppy so we have been slowly increasing the distance and speed for her which has been good for me.
I walk up and down the hill at our cottage quite often during the day going from the lake to the cottage. I have biked a few times up to 16 kms (takes about an hour on my mtn bike) and find it easy and very good for the knee on the op leg. No pain at all biking.
I play around in the lake - walking, swimming a bit, paddle the paddle boat -I am afraid to go on the paddle board in case I fall.
I do normal household work but let my husband do the vacuuming. I still find squatting difficult and a little painful on my knee.
My physiotherapist let me go early in recovery because I could walk without aids, and had no limp. I was given a few exercises but decided to just focus on walking, biking, and normal activities as I found doing the exercises was tiring and took away from doing the fun outdoor activities I love.

I think that going up and down the hill is what is causing this pain but I am not sure. I was told I have a one cm LLD and I have an appt in October for orthotics to correct this.

I have taken my temperature and it is normal. I just want to make sure I don't have a serious issue I should be dealing with through my OS.
You women are amazing and so helpful. I am so happy to have found this sight.
Thank you!
 
Hi @Granny Di
Did you say do I worry about dementia? - oh boy I do! Do you know what I read , just today research about the length of your arms and legs determining your dementia risk. The shorter your knee to heel or elbow to wrist the higher the risk. They surmised that malnutrition as a child (I suffered malnutrition) equalled shorter limbs and risk of dementia. I feel that this year has been bad for my risk as I have done least exercise ever because of hip surgery then foot surgery. Also after both general anaesthetics I felt woozy/giddy followed weeks of not feeling "with it" mentally. Having said that my mother got through 2 hip replacements with out her dementia being triggered. Look after yourself!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom