TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

After PT in the morning, I decided to spend most of yesterday laying around, icing, elevating, light walking around the house, crying and feeling sorry for myself. LOL. I’m better today.
I made dinner last night and did the dishes. I can do most activities of daily living without issue. I did some upper body exercises yesterday afternoon with light weights. I slept well last night. Can sleep on both sides. Still having the same stiffness and tightness in my knee that is not improving at the moment. Just waiting to see some more progress and trying to give my body grace. Today I’m going to venture out and do a couple of errands.
 
I decided to spend most of yesterday laying around, icing, elevating, light walking around the house, crying and feeling sorry for myself. LOL
It's okay to do this once in awhile. A little self pity can be comforting, or soothing and hopefully help you gain a fresh perspective on accepting the situation for what it is, temporary, or if possible taking the necessary steps to change things. Sounds like today is a brighter day for you, Debbie. Yay!
I hope you enjoy your time away from home running errands. :) Go easy on yourself!
 
I made dinner last night and did the dishes. I can do most activities of daily living without issue. I did some upper body exercises yesterday afternoon with light weights. I slept well last night. Can sleep on both sides.
@Dmcfad2 , it might not feel like it right now, but this is actually incredible for just a few weeks out! I was nowhere near able to do as much at your stage. You’ve barely started on this journey and your knee is still reeling from the trauma and shock of the extremely invasive thing that was done to it! Of course it is stiff, swollen and painful.

On the other hand…
After PT in the morning, I decided to spend most of yesterday laying around, icing, elevating, light walking around the house, crying and feeling sorry for myself.
I TOTALLY get the sadness, frustration, and ‘stuck’ feeling. I’m so sorry you’re in it right now. It is really hard. Surgery is traumatic mentally too. And you literally ARE stuck…stuck in this slow and difficult phase of healing. You can’t go around it, only through it. As hard as it is, you are on your knee’s timeline now, and there’s nothing you can do to speed it up.

Hang in there, cultivate patience and acceptance. Remember, this is all temporary. Now, instead of your knee getting worse, it will be getting better! It just takes its own time.

But please know that what you have achieved already really is fantastic! Be kind to yourself and that baby knee. We’re all here to support you :console2:
 
@Dmcfad2
You are doing great! I'm still struggling with dishes. Thank goodness we have a dishwasher. It feels so good to get out in the world! At 3 weeks, I went to church. It was painful but so great at the same time. Tears are such a release. I sure understand.
 
I’ve had another up and down day today…
Another rubbish nights sleep…. Did a little bit of laundry this morning…. Also a bit of ironing…did some exercises on my leg….. then I had a nap this afternoon .
Cooked tea this evening and now I’m lying on my sofa elevating and icing my knee.
Am contemplating sleeping down here tonight, see if I can get more than 3-4 hours sleep….. Fed up with looking at the same 4 walls day in day out….. but I’m trying to congratulate myself on the little things that I’m finding easier… I’ve not used my leg lifter in days, not used my crutches today and not had any painkillers today either… not needed them.
We’re doing okay :)
 
Surgery was yesterday at noon. I spent the night in the hospital. I walked with the walker right away and did steps. Minimal pain until this afternoon. I think the nerve block wore off. It’s not unbearable, I’m just very aware of it. I am home now, icing and elevating.
It’s so crazy I had the same experience. It’s crazy how great you are right until it’s time to go home . Just keep
Doing awesome
 
I woke up at 4:30 am and couldn’t go back to sleep because my knee was throbbing and achy, so I decided to get up. Today should be interesting. I have PT at 9:30, then my husband and I are driving down to San Diego (about a 45 minute drive) to pick up a new car we ordered that is ready. If you’ve ever bought a new car, you know how long and tedious it can be to fill out all the documents and finally get the keys. I’m not looking forward to it. I am hoping that because we ordered the car and didn’t just walk on the lot and buy it that it won’t take as long to get everything done. But, I know it won’t be quick, regardless, so I’m trying to mentally prepare myself. I will stand up and walk around every so often if it’s taking a long time!
I am hoping for a good PT session today. I feel like the ongoing stiffness in my knee is ”oh, so slightly” better this morning.
I just saw that it is supposed to rain today. I wonder if that’s why my knee feels extra achy this morning?
 
I just saw that it is supposed to rain today. I wonder if that’s why my knee feels extra achy this morning?
I did a little research on this awhile back -

Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Go easy in PT in anticipation of the long car rides to San Diego and back. Consider bringing a small cooler with a few ice packs in case you need one. Regular walking / stretching breaks are a great idea.
Safe travels! I hope you're comfortable.
 
It's been 13 years since I bought my Blueberry Gracie, Toyota Yaris. I have no idea how long these things take. Hope all goes well at the dealership and you don't have to wait long.
 
Can you stay home and let your husband go pick up the car without you? I'm afraid you'll be sorry if you go and it's not worth it. If you have to go, then skip PT. The two things on the same day, at the same time, are an awful lot to ask of your baby knee.
 
I had a good PT session. My flexion got to 90°. My therapist was happy with that. I admit I had to really push to get there, but I did it. Today was my last in home therapy. I start outpatient next week. I’m really going to miss my therapist. She is exactly what I want in a therapist. I hope my next one is as good.
I did go to San Diego and picked up our new car. I did great on the way down and while we were there, but started to really be uncomfortable on the way home. By the time we got home, I was hurting. My knee was throbbing and stiff. I hobbled in to the house and took a pain pill. Now I’m sitting here on my couch with ice on my knee. I’m sure I overdid it, but I’m starting to feel better now. Today was the most I have done since surgery.
 
It sounds like you may have enjoyed the first part of your outing today. I am sorry you're hurting and hopefully with more icing and a good nights sleep, you'll feel much better in the morning. :fingersx:
@Dmcfad2
 
I had a good PT session. My flexion got to 90°. My therapist was happy with that. I admit I had to really push to get there, but I did it. Today was my last in home therapy. I start outpatient next week. I’m really going to miss my therapist. She is exactly what I want in a therapist. I hope my next one is as good.
I did go to San Diego and picked up our new car. I did great on the way down and while we were there, but started to really be uncomfortable on the way home. By the time we got home, I was hurting. My knee was throbbing and stiff. I hobbled in to the house and took a pain pill. Now I’m sitting here on my couch with ice on my knee. I’m sure I overdid it, but I’m starting to feel better now. Today was the most I have done since surgery.
I’m taking your lead and doing the ice tonight. I haven’t had PT sine last Friday. tomorrow will be interesting to see how it goes. You are awesome and doing great
 
it might not feel like it right now, but this is actually incredible for just a few weeks out! I was nowhere near able to do as much at your stage
Agree totally here.
Standing for me was much harder than walking.
It was much much later ( like a few months) before I could stand to prepare food and cook. By that stage I could walk a couple of miles pain free.
 
@EalingGran Thanks for your comment. I am able to do all of the activities of daily living without a problem, so I think maybe I am just too hard on myself. My PT told me I’m an overachieve. LOL
I had a good sleep last night. I made it all the way to 5 am. I woke up at 3:30, took two Tylenol and was able to fall back asleep. I love that!
Today is my 4 week anniversary and I see my surgeon this morning for my first follow up visit. I plan on asking him about the buckling I get on occasion when I am walking. It happened again yesterday and comes out of nowhere, even when I’m using my cane. My thought is that it is muscular and hopefully will resolve as I get stronger.
I still get the achy throbbing in my knee at night. It starts about 4 pm and continues throughout the night in bed and will awaken me sometimes. It’s almost like a bad toothache and is so annoying. I also still have the tight band feeling around my knee. Otherwise, I think I’m making small improvements every day. I am tired of always thinking about my knee and I’m looking forward to the day that I don’t think about it. I know it’s coming and it’s still early days.
 
Where do I start? I went to see my surgeon this morning. He is not happy with my flexion, which is barely at 90°. He wants me at 110° in another 2 weeks or he wants to do an MUA. He told me to work hard these next two weeks to increase my ROM. He says that 6 weeks is the window of opportunity. He told me that the flexion exercises should be pushing me enough to make me cry. He made me feel like I’m not working hard enough. I’m so depressed. I’ve been crying ever since I left his office. I am really so sorry I did this surgery. It has been such a rough, painful recovery and now this stress on top of it is making me physically ill. I don’t want my exercises to make me cry. I am not making any progress. I’m really afraid I’m stuck with where I’m at now. I’m tired of being in pain with this stupid knee.
 
I‘m sorry your surgeon made you feel so bad. :console2:

Here is another member in the same situation:
This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
Hi there,
I am sorry your visit was a disappointment, try not to let it get you down. Many have experienced this type of post op chastisement and through time and patience end up with their desired result without MUA.

I will leave a few articles on MUA from the BoneSmart Library in case you haven't read them.
I will also leave a post that current member, JusticeRider, posted to her thread awhile back. I am sure you are familiar with her she's been a supportive voice to many on the forum.

Articles on the topic from the BoneSmart Library -
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
MUA for Stiffness Following TKR
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)
MUA: Who is more likely to need an MUA after TKR?

Your exercises shouldn't be so painful they cause tears. Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change, not more of the same. I'd encourage you to use the common sense I know you have and don't allow these threats and unrealistic timelines frighten you. You're doing just fine.

Following you'll find JusticeRiders words -
"I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked."


Chin up, brighter days are ahead! :SUNsmile:
@Dmcfad2
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom