BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Two New Hips in Six Weeks

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by EL11, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Mojo333 Same here re: the tom boy germs all around thing, and wasn't a germaphobe with my kids either. I'm good and dirty every day (prior to surgery!) when cleaning stalls, grooming horses etc., but have a good clean up after that. That bug I had in June was so nasty, that when on a plane next time, I'm going to wipe down the tray and the arm rests. Don't want to deal with that every again if possible!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. EL11

EL11 senior

United States United States
    @lovesstars That's why I weaned myself off the pain pills last time.

Speaking of which, I just realized that ferrous gluconate is not on my meds list from the hospital release, and called the OS's office again to see if they left it off the list on purpose this time. They'll ask him when he's out of surgery. I'm hoping so because that just exacerbates the problem, but there have been other mistakes so I'm not optimistic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. EL11

EL11 senior

@Alitm You are seeing the surgeon tomorrow? How are you doing, pain-wise and otherwise?

I'm seeing my OS a week from tomorrow. The post-op appointment for my first hip, also 2 weeks after, I was down to one 5 mg oxycodone per night. I should have made a note of how many I was taking after the first week; I'm taking *6* a day now, 30mg, which is half the maximum but worries me. Not the unlikely possibility of addiction, but the withdrawal. I swear I had it from just stopping the 5mg last time, and for the last couple of days I've been having nightmares. From the oxy or from the pain in between taking it, I can't tell. I too feel like a wimp and as if I should be tapering off. I am just dealing with more pain. I have been getting tons of sleep, anyway ...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. lovesstars

lovesstars graduate

@Alitm @EL11 need I reiterate that what you are doing is really, really difficult, overwhelming and discouraging?It is truly the stuff of nightmares. Is it likely that the nightmares are not from the oxy...but instead your lovely brains processing this frightening and discouraging time?
    I think yes.

I also have had them...but beginning a few days before surgery...I believe predictive of this period in my life. Dreams this past week have been more neutral...less about drowning in boats and whatnot.

Do not taper off! It has only been a week. Cut yourself some slack!
    (Says the wizened old crone of five weeks’ out...)

I’m rooting for y’all!!!!

:wowspring::flwrysmile::wowspring::flwrysmile::wowspring:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EL11

EL11 senior

@Alitm @lovesstars
    That is kind of you, much appreciated and you are probably right.

Two days ago I had a nightmare that I was having these horrific asthmatic-type attacks my dad began having six weeks before his death; it was the day after the 24th anniversary of his passing, so duh I suppose. I had the Voldyne breath thing on the coffee table, and a minute after waking up I tested my breathing, which unsurprisingly was great. The pre-op nurse had said I had "the lungs of an elephant." Ha!

BF took me out for Mexican food last night. It was too soon and I was moving like a snail with my crutches, but nice to get out. I would love to maintain this feeling of wanting to eat more slowly and sparingly. I had less than half my entree, which is unheard of for me.

Rooting for y'all too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lovesstars

lovesstars graduate

Mexican food! Darn now I will have to get DoorDash for lunch! Nachos!
    (It’s dangerous to give me ideas!!!)

You guys went out!? Rock star!!

“The lungs of an elephant?”....hahahahahahah

(I super wish I could hear your work!)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @EL11 :wave:, I was on Tylenol around the clock and Dillauded as needed for pain. When I came home, despite the Tylenol around the clock, I needed the Dillauded more regularly. I came home on Saturday and by Sunday I was itching, with no visible rash, which is a side effect of the Dillauded (a short acting Hydromorphone). Sunday night I started having the weird dreams. I had had the weird dreams when on the morpheme pump after a ectopic pregnancy rupture and surgical repair years ago so was expecting them again. I know quite a few people who have had the weird dreams with it. I spoke to the doctor's office and they said to continue to take the Tylenol around the clock, but to stop the Dillauded and take the Tramacet regularly. The Tramacet has Tramadol + Tylenol in it (marked on my Rx) so I had to figure out the dosage amounts of that Tylenol intake plus what additional Tylenol to take to get me up to the max dose of Tylenol. Anyhow, I started with the max dose of the Tramacet, as I was on day four at that point and had pain. I'm still on the Tramacet regularly, but a slightly lower dose as of yesterday, and will stay on it, slowly weaning off as my body heals. I'm not worried about psychological addiction as, as an active outdoorsie and sportie person, I hate any kind of altered state feeling. I think most people are inclined to drop the doses down slowly as their surgical pain improves, which avoids the physiological withdrawal side effects. I have seen on the forum here a schedule for weaning off as well, but have also seen the comment that most people do the slow weaning without a schedule, as their body begins to recover from the surgical pain. If you have any worries about any of that do ask the moderators to point you to the "weaning off" chart or tag Josephine. This forum is full of amazing helpful knowledge!

I also spoke to the pharmacist (who dispensed my post-op Rx's) by phone when I got home about the differences between the Dilaudid, the Tramacet and the Tylenol. He explained it in relation to the 0 - 10 pain scale. He said that the Dilauded would help pain up to 9/10, but after the four hours since taking the drug, it would fall off dramatically in its effectiveness. It is fast acting and fast non-acting...good for breakthrough pain. The Tramacet will help with pain up to a 7 and Tylenol up to a 4/5. I found that really helpful. In hindsight, and when I get my other hip done in a couple of months, I will probably go straight to the Tramacet round the clock and only used the Dilaudid for major breakthrough pain as needed as my starting pain plan. It may have been explained to me that way at discharge the day after surgery, but somehow I missed that memo!

Glad that you have the lungs of an elephant! I was taking an open water diving course when my Mum was admitted to hospital with pulmonary failure and pneumonia (caused by the PF). I got really panicked at the first ten foot dive (from which you can easily free accent with no issues), just thinking about her being ventilated. As @lovesstars chats about, life events i.e. THR(!) can be associated with your dreams too! Under normal circumstances my dreams, when I dream, are a variety of fragments of my day! Makes for hilarious dreams at times!

As for the wretched constipation, I took the laxative/stool softener recommended by the OS. It took two days to work. After it worked I did nothing for a day, other than stay on my high fibre, water drinking diet. Things stopped again so I took a stool softener for two days and since then my regular diets seems to be doing the trick!

Well by now I hope you have had a lovely cup of coffee/tea to get through this AM reading!!!! Hope it is helpful.

SO great that you got out for Mexican food! Amazing and good for you :wowspring::yes!:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Another diver and a singer! Diving is one of the things I am really looking forward to getting back to in 6 months time :/) not sure about giant strides off a boat for hippies though!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. EL11

EL11 senior

@Alitm @lovesstars

This is truly helpful, thanks to both of you.

Honestly, I feel I am doing just fine now. and that's what I'm sure will be the case with me (doing it without a schedule). I have enough Oxycodone to get me through till I see the doc a week from tomorrow. I also do not fear the specter of addiction, just the withdrawal. As an ex-mediocre dancer ;-) and gym person, I'm excited about being able to stretch and strengthen again and I also want to be alert. I am grateful to have the home care people and look forward to discussing this with the nurse, who comes Friday, as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. NanaKP

NanaKP member

Oh my goodness! Ladies - I'm sitting here at my desk at work barely containing the loud bursts of laughter that keep escaping me as I read. I started to take notes because there are SOOOOO many topics here that have me nodding my head yes and holding my stomach as well (from laughing). I haven't practiced using those emoji's so @lovesstars - you're killing it!!! (It's a good thing I work for/with my husband or I'd probably be unemployed since I'm spending more time on here than on actual work today!)

I bounce back and forth between wanting to schedule (again) that second hip. Though I KNOW I could've had things much worse, I often say that I have been the posterchild for complications so am now pretty gun shy when thinking about hip #2. Interesting @EL11 about the stairs. We have MANY in our house that I have to use so I'm scared to give up the good side (even if it is bad) while the operated side is still being unwilling to pull its weight going UP. Did your OS have any requirements for your recovery from hip #1 before scheduling #2?

RE: Pain Meds. Went to my favorite crafting store on Saturday - walked around (with the cart and/or cane) for over 2 hours. Bought some fabric even thinking I could get back to quilting any day now (need my bandwidth fully restored). Ended up needing to take a Tramadol around 2 a.m. because of the aches. (Tell me anyone, will sleep EVER be fully restored????)

@Mojo333 being around an automotive repair shop daily and those 3 germy grandsons, I too don't give much thought about germs. Last year, however, I did start using Lysol wipes on car keys, car doors, steering wheels, and everything in my office once flu season started. Do you know how many people drop their vehicles off as they are going home sick and won't be needing them???? Yuck-Yuck-Yuck! (I need an emoji here but have no idea what I am doing).

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. lovesstars

lovesstars graduate

@NanaKP I am so happy we are entertaining you — you know, it is better to be at your desk bursting into laughter than, perhaps, on an airplane.
    I have been known to be listening to a podcast on an airplane and burst into laughter (much to the suspicion and concern of fellow passengers).

Your second hip certainly will behave differently than the first — even if you have been the Queen of Complications. Isn’t that what ‘they’ say? I suppose the bigger question is — do you want to do it just after Christmas and rest throughout January — or push it into springtime and miss some of that deliciousness?

You were on your feet for TWO hours at a store?!? That is something for me to work towards. I am far from that, indeed.

I also have so many stairs in my house and the PT in the hospital was concerned about them...but beginning on day four post-surgery I starting going down and going up once every day. Today already, for the first time, I have done them twice (necessity). In about five hours I’ll let you know if that was a good idea or a bad one.

Keep laughing! (Here are the fun emojis...)

:heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 1stSurgery

1stSurgery graduate

Feeling the need to chime in on the germs here -as a recovered germaphobe - who has since learned about our microbiomes and how they retain and restore that beautiful natural immunity we are born with! And how every time we are in nature, most especially our hands or feet in the sand, the dirt, gardening, just walking barefoot...we are replenishing those microbiome to help them continue to ward off foreign invaders to the body that don't belong there. Building up Immunity. So a too-sterile environment - too much antibiotic or antibiotic wiping - can destroy this natural layer of protection the body has built into the design. We are huge swarms of bacteria, or "germs", naturally, some of it so essential for our health that a nuclear option to destroy the whole crew can lead you to more health risks rather than less. It's a fascinating research topic if you're interested in it. There is Dr Zach Bush who is one who has conducted years of studies on the issue and has many interviews on it. Many more Dr's out there but he's quite the veteran expert on the latest in microbiomes.

So I'm more aligned with "germy @Mojo333" theoretically ...and I am the one in our household who never gets flus or colds. Or flu shots, God forbid, the worst concoction of neurotoxins one can shoot into their body. I'm with @Layla on that one. We are actually perfectly designed, even if a few parts need occasional replacement post wear and tear! Cough, femoral heads, cough.

As for airplanes....yes, they are the worst pits for getting sick, but largely because the stale air... is recycled the entire flight and one sick persons sneeze will travel quickly from seat 32d to 5a before you ever get to Buffalo! Overseas even worse. Long flights = better odds of catching something. I will put drops of Purell around my nose on a long flight, (even though latest studies have shown that product is not what it's cracked up to be as well. And many of the hand sanitizers are carcinogenic) That's a leftover habit from germaphobe days! :)

Totally agree on the practice of not touching your eyes, nose, mouth when in public or right after that annoying co-worker with the hacking cough has just ceremoniously bear-hugged you and THEN told you how sick they are! We all know those people. Hand-washing also is probably better than anti bac products. Good old soap. These are all just my opinion but I used to be the one doing all the wiping all the time due to early years of bad bronchitis that I no longer ever get since I learned how to supplement better. That stopped over a decade ago.

On a hip related note: I'm asking all double hippies to please weigh in if you could at my thread on the difference in recovery between each hip.... related to the degree of arthritic damage to each, before surgery. Trying to see if that relationship is across the board or random.

Great thread @EL11 and continued healing vibes sent to you -us double hippies are double lucky, we get to come out on the other side ..twice!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. EL11

EL11 senior

The way it went with me was that when I had my first appointment with the surgeon, he said both of my hips needed to be replaced. How long in between, I asked? He told me that some people waited a year, some a few months, and that he'd be comfortable doing mine six weeks apart. I called my boyfriend from the waiting room to ask his opinion, he said he thought I should go for it and I told them to book both procedures.

Second will be different, as @lovesstars says, no matter what. With me, I seem to be needing more pain management but it's not like the pain is unbearable—more like a stinging/smarting in the quad area that gets in the way of my doing the PT properly. BTW after all that discussion about weaning off the meds, I took a look at the new bottle of Oxycodone and noticed that it says 6 hours apart now instead of 4, whoops. So I'm doing that today. I was holding off a bit anyway for the middle dose because I had a phone interview and I didn't want to, you know, sound stoned :-/

Two hours of standing is a l o n g. time.

I want to offer one piece of advice about not wanting to give up the "good" side, from my own experience, and other posters may not have had it go the same way: There was a period of time when the un-replaced hip didn't feel that bad and I was surprisingly fine putting my weight on it. But as the new hip got better, the arthritic one started becoming terribly painful again. I was having bad trouble sleeping, much more difficult than now with two surgeries behind me

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. EL11

EL11 senior

@1stSurgery I am having trouble getting to your thread. Could you give me the URL, or paste in my response?

I had my right hip done first. The left hip hurt worse, which the OS said was because of something to do with blood not getting to the vessels, necrosis/necrotic/something like that. But the right was bone-on-bone and used to catch sometimes when I was walking up stairs, and I was afraid if I did the left first I could suddenly get stranded.

I had a lot more trouble sleeping after the first replacement. I'm a side sleeper, like many people, and it was torturous trying to sleep on my back, though the memory foam wedge sometimes made it OK. The worst part was that the hip would go into spasm and I simply couldn't relax. Though as I've said elsewhere I'm having this kind of smarting quad pain with the second/left hip, and feeling the need for more meds, that spasm thing is nonexistent. And I'm sleeping on my back with no problem, 7-8 hours at a time. I almost can't believe it.

Anyone who answers your question will be dealing with a different situation—not just because everybody's body is different, but there's some influencing factor at work with the other hip, like the arthritis there is getting worse or you strain it by depending on it more; in my case, I had the second surgery 7 weeks to the day after the first. I was walking unaided at that point but would have little setbacks. My gut feeling is that the short-term healing might have been 10 weeks for that side, but now I'm stressing it out somewhat.

Sorry for the long rambling answer :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. lovesstars

lovesstars graduate

(Blood circulation stops to femoral head and femoral head dies...and collapses. That is called AVN — Avascular Necrosis...that is what I had as well)

16. 1stSurgery

1stSurgery graduate

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. NanaKP

NanaKP member

@EL11 - Interesting what you said about giving up the "good side". I have never been a great sleeper but my husband swears that I haven't slept a peaceful night in YEARS and lately, I've had to give up all attempts at trying to sleep on my good side at all. I was nodding my head at your statement "un-replaced hip didn't feel that bad" because as I go through my day, I can feel the twinges in that right hip. Heck, last year at this time I was counting down the weeks before lacing up my new running shoes after having a tendon repair in my foot - hip replacements were the farthest thing from my mind. I have been devouring your posts (as well as other double hippy's) because I know that I will be making that decision again very soon and want every bit of information I can get.

Your analogy earlier about the "bandwidth" resonated with me. I had recently told my husband that it's shocking how many "visits to the grandkids" or "a quick trip to this place or that" put me in a very sour mood. I avoided committing to things outside of the house because it would mean one more time to get in/out of the car. I didn't even realize that my hips were the culprit in my general discomfort and once I was at home, I wanted to stay there (looking back through the years, we can see where my hips were screaming at me but I chose to ignore them).

Seeing as how I'm NOT a winter person (I live in running shorts & sweatshirts all winter long) maybe I should have the 2nd surgery done before the holidays start so I can be up on my feet with a crutch/cane . . . then I can rehab with all of those new Hallmark movies about to be released (my husband will be THRILLED)!! Hahahaha

• Like Like x 2
  18. EL11

EL11 senior

That sounds like a nifty plan, @NanaKP.

Yes, the pain creeps up on you and one day it's affecting everything. A year and a half ago, after having been hunkered down on my then-apartment for a period of time, having a lie-down whenever I felt tired or achy, I had to travel for work and go to a few functions that involved standing around chit-chatting. I realized that I could not stand for more than 20 minutes or so without my back starting to throb. I asked the OS if the lower back would be better after the surgery, and he said, "Not until you're done both hips."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @EL11 Good to know how your are doing with the six weeks apart deal. My OS says 8 - 10 weeks, and we'll confirm (hopefully) the 8 weeks I "begged" for tomorrow at my check up. I also have major lower back issues, so am so anxious to get #2 done and get back to riding, and my active life style...after getting my fitness back! Patience certainly is a virtue! I'm ten days in......but still so much ahead:bawl::heehee: at the same time!!!

@1stSurgery It was awful that your #2 hip downed tools so quickly, but it is a confirmation for me to get on with my #2 hip that OS has confirmed is duff already....and I know that to be true! She is being awfully quiet right now, but I fear that she will come back with a vengeance

@NanaKP I need a buddy to rehab with me, hopefully mid-November....can I tempt you to join me :heehee: :ice:

• Like Like x 2
  20. JoeKnows

JoeKnows senior

@EL11 - So you had AVN / osteonecrosis in one hip and arthritis in the other? Did I read that right? Sounds like you basically got the sampler platter of hip problems - just left out dysplasia, haha. I had / potentially have AVN as well, we're guessing due to steroids but my surgeon classified it as idiopathic because we don't really know. Hopefully I'll put off joining the double hippie club for a while, though my right side shows early signs.

Re: the meds, I was pretty happy to get off the strong stuff before my two week post-op. I definitely would have stayed on if my pain levels required it. Seems like it's a highly individual thing, just be aware of what your body's trying to tell you.