THR Two New Hips in Six Weeks

Exactly!:heehee:
Like the tides
It is an ebb and flow journey...and it is recommended in order not to get sucked into the undertow...
To just flow with it...readjusting as necessary without considering it a setback.
I lost ten pounds within the first two months ...some was lack of appetite from meds probably...and, like you, trying to eat more mindfully.
Hope today is a restful day.
Ice it up and hang in there, friend!:ice:

Dear Lovely @EL11. I have so much to tell you! (1) My ‘helpful’ doctor assured me that my new joint would probably add more weight to me, so.....yeah. :rofsign: (2) I have wondered allow if I will still need the same size ‘skinny jeans’ or if I need to go up a size because of the placement of the new joint and if I will be wider. Yeah, I know. “Third world problems”. (3) Let’s talk for a minute about the ‘bandwidth’ issue. I have noticed in my moments of no pain at all that I have felt my creativity return...truth is I haven’t seen it in 10 months. So I hope yours is returning as well. Start taking notes of the next things you want to do/think/be!!! (4) On the subject of the oxy — they will give you more if you ask for it...but they can only give you a ‘little’ at a time. No need to portion it out. This was the HUGE mistake I made and I will not do that next time, I promise you. :yikes: (This is almost my favorite emoji)

about committing to participating in life by taking the step to have surgery. I suddenly realized, in a visceral way without thinking about it per se, how much of my "bandwidth" had been taken up by having this inflammation in my hips all the time.
@EL11 This really resonated with me. Friends don’t seem to understand why I would willingly put myself through this - twice. But this is why - exactly! It’s like when you read something in a poem or piece of literature, and say to yourself, “Yes, this is true and I never thought of it exactly in this way.”

Thank you for the insight and good luck with your continued healing!

Right, @Mojo333

I remember this funny exchange I had with my PCP about wanting to lose 6-7 lbs and he went “Yes, every pound is 40 pounds of pressure off your hips.” “Um I think you mean 4?” “No, 40.” So if you lost 20 pounds that would be ***800?***

@lovesstars that is horrifying about the new hip weighing more than the old and it's true, I looked it up!!

About eating generally, I used to belong to Weight Watchers online and there there these helpful threads about noticing when you wanted to eat, nervous, depressed etc. I just like eating and I'm home a lot with snacks available.

Also ... After posting that about the oxy I realized it was probably the case. There are specific rules, e.g., you have to ask for it in the hospital when you need it.

@Knitquilt, I got a Facebook message from someone yesterday, with whom I'd been out of touch for years. I mentioned that I has gotten THR and he responded, "Oh, I'm so sorry." It struck me funny because it is so common now. Almost everybody knows someone who's done it and mostly they report rave reviews.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the old friend was sorry that you experienced pain significant enough to go through a major surgery and the subsequent ups and downs of recovery.
You're a brave soul, you took on the second, not long after the first. But you're doing it and doing it well!
I feel to sign yourself up for Hip #2 so soon after Hip #1 would be more anxiety producing than signing up for bilateral. If you had an unfavorable experience with the first, it would be difficult to go back so soon afterward.
Wishing you a peaceful day as you continue healing.
@EL11

@Layla - I would have been nervous about being alone so much with two healing hips, I think. But you're right, almost the first thing I said after I got in the car after operation #1 was, "I was worried that would be so traumatic I wouldn't want to do the second hip. I'm so glad it wasn't." The occupational therapist was just here for almost two hours, mostly filling out a lot of forms. She did convince me to buy a shower seat.

She was a real hygiene advocate, understandably, and told me I should use disinfectant pads to wipe the arms of the walker. I'd never thought about that but immediately realized what she meant , ew. She also asked me if I knew what the major germ-carrier was in a dentist's office ...

Hi again :wave:
You're doing great and lucky your first didn't scare you off from your second.
Now....about the dentist's office....do tell!
What's the major germ carrier? I'll be on patrol next time I go.
@EL11

Not surprising I guess.
I don't like those store pens either used to sign for your credit card.
I'm a tad of a germophobe anyway. I always have a container of hand wipes in my car and it's my first order of biz once I settle into my seat. I'm very conscientious about touching eyes, mouth etc when I'm out in public also. A little cray, cray, I know :heehee: Don't want to get sick! But, I never get a flu shot...go figure.
I'm afraid of it :bolt:

@EL11 Finally trying to catch up with you since my surgery. I have to say I'm a cheap date and the pain meds make me very fuzzy! It is so helpful to follow the second time arounders. Even though I'm just six days out, and not sure how strong I'll be in my new right hip leg come eight - ten weeks post this recent surgery, that left hip has got to go!
I had read previously about the 1 pound = 40 pounds of pressure on one's hip thing. I am eating as clean as possible, as I was pre-op. Really crazy how much pressure that is with one pound! As @lovesstars expresses, :yikes::yikes::yikes: fits the bill!!
Hope you are as comfortable as can be, finding the right balance of meds. How is it with your BF working crazy hours right now. Hope you are coping with your kitty for company! He is very handsome :yes:
I'm now on Tramadol 75 mgs again today. Tried dropping down to 37.5mgs (with additional Tylenol) yesterday but by 2 AM today I was not a happy camper. Have had two dose back at the 75mg per dose and am MUCH happier. I requested a refill on the Tramadol after letting the OS office know what had transpired and they filled the scrip with no issue. Hubs has to pick it up, and I'll know then how many I've been given.
Wishing you a restful and comfortable day :ice:
:flwrysmile:

@Alitm @EL11 @Layla
Guys!!!!
You are killing me with the germ thing! :shocked::yikes::shocked:
I am THIS CLOSE to ordering wipes from Amazon. Ewwwwwww!
Tick tock tick tock but these posts of yours are entertaining me while I wait for bone to grow.
:ice::ice::ice:

@Alitm, great to hear from you. So you have a second surgery scheduled? I did not see it below your sig. My feeling was that if I'd had one more week of recuperation after the right hip, eight weeks rather than seven, I would be fine with climbing stairs right now—but generally the time period has worked for me. You don't realize how challenging it is to be counting on a still-arthritic hip as your "good side."

It sounds like you're finding a proper balance and paying attention to your body's needs.

I called the OS after reading your post because Tylenol was not on my list and one of the hospital nurses said that Tylenol+oxycodone =Percocet and could be helpful. I also spoke to them about refilling the oxy and someone in the office will take care of it by the time I run out.

I'm fine being alone, kind of you to ask; BF called just now and asked if I wanted him to pick up anything for my dinner (no, I'm seriously only going to want yogurt and toast). He asked where Albert was and I said as I have before that he's snuggled up on the couch, which I know Albert would love to have made up as a bed on a permanent basis. Ha.

I have read four pounds of pressure per pound, six pounds ... it makes a difference, that's for sure.

I have to say I'm a cheap date and the pain meds make me very fuzzy!

Me too. Besides the pain relief, they make me less stir-crazy, I have to admit.

Happy healing!

Attachments

• Albert and Lorraine.jpg
    Albert and Lorraine.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 118
@EL11 I had a terrible time last June, after getting off three flights back to back. Was so tired and got in around 11 PM. By mid-day the following day I was being violently ill...double ender. I will use the wipes now when I travel, ALL THE TIME!!! I know I picked up something on one of those flights.
Love the selfie of you and Albert on the couch!!! I'm sure he'd love it to be a permanent part of his life :heehee:
I see the OS on Tuesday and we'll get a confirmed date for #2 hip then. He wants to see how I'm doing, before deciding on whether to do it at eight weeks (my mind wants that) or nine/ten weeks post op #1. Thanks for your feedback on how it went for you, and about the stairs issue.
I believe the meds help with the stir crazy thing. I had way too many visitors early in the week, and now am pretty tired and am sleeping more! Need to pace those visits. Love seeing everyone, but need to stretch out the time between visits it seems. I feel like such a wimp to be honest!

Last edited:
@Alitm I have had few visitors. It does take it out of you. On hour two of the occupational therapists's visit I had to retire to the couch.

I have now had enough nurses use the phrase "stay ahead of the pain" to grasp that concept. Just because I'm only slightly uncomfortable lying down, doesn't mean I won't have that nasty smarting feeling when I get up and do the PT, so I'm preparing for that. Oxycodone+Tylenol (not the arthritis kind)=Percocet.

All this talk about how milligrams of pain medication I'm taking, makes me feel like a centenarian sitting around in the coffee shop with my centenarian pals, talking about everybody's medical procedures :D

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts