Bilateral THR Twice as Nice - JennyLynne's recovery

Sleep... everyone's (least) favorite topic. I was doing so well on my back - I credit it to having a bed where the head and feet go up and down. But ever since I rolled on my side a few nights ago, I just can't sleep on my back. But, my knee throbs after 30-45 min on my side. So last night, I didn't sleep for more than 45 min straight. In fact, it's been that way for 3 nights now. I feel like I ruined myself for back sleeping. I AM SO TIRED!!!
 
Here's an article on side sleeping, JennyLynne
Sorry to read back sleeping isn't happening for you these last few nights.

See If this looks comfy to you -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/

What I found priceless and still use at 23 mo post op is a cheap $10 body pillow from Target.
We each need to find what works for us. I hope you find a comfortable way to sleep soon.
Maybe a nap is on the agenda for today? :yawn: :sleep:
Have a good one!
@JennyLynne
 
Thanks @Layla - I used to have a body pillow... it may be hiding in the basement somewhere. Wish the side along the bed didn't throb so much. It's just so frustrating!
 
You are so right @JennyLynne about our community and sleep deprivation!! I have just become accustomed to nights of cat napping between changing upright or laying flat on my back positions because regardless of what position I try I can sleep for a max hour at a time. We must have darn good superpowers to keep going and actually make sense while we communicate (well I hope I'm making sense... Nobody has told me otherwise!):dubious:
 
It's funny how I'll look at something I posted a day or two earlier and I can't even figure out what I meant......and that's without the meds :rotfl: So sorry you aren't sleeping @JennyLynne. It seems like recovery goes so much faster when we aren't walking around like zombies! I slept the first 6 weeks sitting up in bed then my neck would start to hurt from bobbling around all night! Would love to have an adjustable bed, it's on my wish list!!!
 
I wasn't sleeping either... just couldn't handle being on my back anymore. At day 18 it seems I can be on my side (pillow between legs) for about 15 min before my hip starts to ache, but what a glorious 15 min it is!!
I ended up asking my doc to prescribe some zoplicone, so I could get a good nights sleep. I take 1/2 pill and never more than 3 nights in a row. It makes you really groggy in the morning so I wouldn't recommend it if you have to get up, best saved for the weekend and if your husband will get up with the kids.
 
Hubs went out of town today.. but not before leaving me with a nasty cold (right after his generous gift of a stomach bug). Seriously... it's almost June... why are we dealing with these illnesses now??!!

I am going to make an appearance at a work event this afternoon. Technically, I am hosting the party but given my current circumstances, I had already delegated to a colleague. So I will show up, make some chit chat, thank everyone for their contributions over the last year, and PEACE OUT! I have full parental duties and need to spare my energy for that.

Tomorrow will be my first morning taking care of myself AND my son, on my own. Getting him fed and taking to school, etc. I need to give myself lots of extra time.. LOTS! Had wanted to go into my office tomorrow for one morning meeting, but I can't imagine pulling this all off before 8:30am!
 
Best of luck flying solo, Jenny.
If anyone can do it, you can. You seem resourceful and independent.
Hope your plans runs smoothly and you're able to get some rest. Seems like your resistance may be down.
The lack of sleep that can follow a major surgery certainly doesn't help in boosting our immune response.
Wishing you comfort and brighter days.
@JennyLynne
 
Probiotics too, Jenny.
I'm sure you know, but 70% of our immune system lies within our gut.
Strong gut = strong immune response.
Sadly the sleep deprivation that's common after surgery is of no help :tantrum2:
 
Wow @JennyLynne I hope the next few days go well and you can squeeze in a nap. That’s a lot to take on 5 weeks out! You must be back to driving. How is that and how are you managing with the pain killers?

I can’t imagine driving yet (day 19 today) because of pain, stiffness and mobility, not because of the meds. I’m still taking Tramadol and Tylenol arthritis 650mg 4 / day.
I’ve been on Tramadol since January and drove myself to work everyday right up to surgery. I didn’t feel it affected me mentally or alert wise even though they tell you not to drive while on it. :shrug:
 
@jwadds I stopped taking pain killers during the day by the 3 week mark, and started driving at that time. For me, driving is easier now than pre-op. Getting in and out of the car, switching between gas and brake - worlds easier today than it was before surgery!

Right now, I take Tylenol during the day, and a percoset at bedtime. I tried to switch the percoset for some Tylenol PM, but found that I still need the pain killers to ease the aches at night.
 
Wow, you've been driving a couple of weeks now! I guess I have been away too long :) Sorry to read about the bugs and the colds, those are just plain unpleasant at anytime. I had to drive my wife to the Dr's office last week so she could have a procedure done. Nothing too serious, but she did need me too drive her home.
Sounds like you are seeing some light at the end of the road!
:yes!:
 
Ya I’m not ready to come off pain killers yet (as I’m lying in bed packed with ice and waiting for the Tramadol & Tylenol to kick in).

That’s great you are driving! When you have a little one you don’t necessarily have a choice if you’re ready or not. You must have a car that you’re not breaking hip precautions? I guess you’re at a point where you don’t have to worry about that either. So glad to hear you are doing so well... gives me hope! Now if the other illnesses would just cooperate....
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom