Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

All the best for tomorrow, hoping the PCL has tightened. Ooops about the fall, yes could have been worse.
:friends:
 
Wish me luck

Dorothy, that must have been one nasty fall. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Sometimes it helps to write down all the things you want to say so you don't forget anything. If the PCL doesn't feel loose anymore that is a very good sign. love carol
 
@patient 99 Carol, yes the fall was quite spectacular but I'm really grateful I didn't break anything, and didn't do any damage to my TKR. Looking forward to getting tomorrow over with. Saw gastro dr. today and have to have colonoscopy as well as endoscope. It's the s&*(( - trying to make a pun, but the prep is not as bad as it used to be. Couldn't get in until May 7th so not even going to think about that one. And yes, I'm going to write down tonight what I want to ask OS tomorrow. Otherwise when he asks me if I have any questions, I always come up blank. Thanks for your good wishes. Hugs and Bugs, xoxo Dorothy. @Dabber thanks for your good wishes and for keeping in touch. It seems there's just a few of us posting, Haven't heard from Bionic Woman or Mutley for some time. Hope they are both faring better.
 
I'm just catching up on reading some of my fellow TKRS, I have not chatted much in the last month. This one caught my eye because I'm just about at 3 months and wondering how much activity should this new knee be getting.
I have been doing a little of everything, like exercise bike, stair climbing, stretches, walking and when I feel good and do more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time my knee will swell and hurt for at least a day and a half. So even though I'm feeling much better than even a few weeks ago, I still have pain and swelling everyday. Straight walking for only 20 minutes requires pain pills, ice, elevation, etc. is this normal for 3 months post op?
 
is this normal for 3 months post op

Hi Spiritbee51 If Josephine had a penny for every time someone asked `Is this normal' she would be a very rich woman. What I have discovered in the time I have been on BS is that there really isn't a `normal'. Its your personal journey which like your face is unique to you.

I think most people would say if your knee hurts for a day and a half after exercise that you are doing TOO MUCH. I have never come across anybody who has done too little. You mention that you are feeling much better than a few weeks ago. That is an excellent indication of you moving in the right direction.

I found an elastic sleeve helped a lot with my swelling. It also gave me support. The trick is it mustn't be too tight. The sleeve works better than the ted stockings which quite frankly I couldn't get on my swollen leg/knee.
Another thing. From the BS posts you will see recovery time varies enormously. @turtle68 and I are just at the 12 month stage. At the beginning I thought I would be all sorted by now, but there are still some issues.

Does any of this help? I hope so because I know only too well how worrying it all can be. Carol
 
@turtle68 Hope it goes well. A colonoscopy isn't too bad just stay near the bathroom the night before! That's just another thing on my list of experiences past and to come.....I get polyps.
 
Come on Dorothy, tell me what happened today. I have been thinking of you. I am so hoping it was good news. Carol
 
@patient 99 @Dabber, @Spiritbee51

Carol and Sue you're probably fast asleep by now, but I just sat down. All went well with the OS appointment, had x-rays, then while waiting for the dr. to come in, I actually had the courage to pick up the demo. Stryker Knee he had on display, and I thought OMG this is what I have in my leg, and I was looking at the x-ray on the computer, and all I could see was the implant, and my kneecap, which is very small in comparison to the kneecap. Told his assistant, they weren't kidding when they said at least a full year to recover, and she told me what the dr. reiterated - that it will continue to get better for 2-5 years.

The x-rays looked great, he estimated my rom to be about 130 and my extension at -5 but said they will both improve as I strengthen my muscles. The PCL is still a little loose, but as I continue to exercise the hamstring that will get better as well. We talked about a 5 year study he did with some other orthopedists, and they found while checking patients every year for five years, there were very few changes, and since doing that study, releases the patient at one year with no need to return unless I have a problem. He agreed with what I have heard from several people I have met recently with TKRs that after the one year it gradually just keeps getting better. I did show him my left leg, where I fell last week and he just laughed and said that's your left leg although it does look like "hell". They did x-ray that leg, and he said it looked good with just a little bit of wear and tear. @Josephine My knee is a Stryker Get Around, and it's definitely getting me around.

I have hesitated to post too much detail with all the problems I have had with my slow progress and bumps on the roller coaster and have waited until I saw the dr. to give encouragement to you who have been on this ride. I have been very fortunate to have an excellent O.S. who agreed that I should stop physio at 4 weeks, and I truly believe if I had discovered BS before that and followed the BS mantra from the beginning my recovery would have not been so prolonged. I also want to encourage anyone who feels at this stage that their TKR is just not right to look at threads of those who have persisted and had successful revisions, i.e. @RunA42K and others.

There are so many of you who have helped me along the way @Josephine @RunA42K @RestAssured @mary54 @Toothfairy @Mutley and Carol and Sue - you have no idea what your love and support has meant to me. You have helped me through a major depression, made me laugh, and cry and literally saved my life, all while going through so much yourselves. I am still looking forward to that trip to England in 2015 where we can have our meet up, and of course we'll have to get our Chorus Line and other acts perfected. We will be dancing.:dancy:

Any suggestions for another new title for my thread? I feel it is time for me to give back to the forum, helping especially those who are having a long, slow recovery. I know when I get a little bit down, and I still do from time to time I will read through some threads and so many of you have such great thoughts that really have kept me going. :thankyou:

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy and :kittykiss:That's kitty kisses from my cat of 15 years I lost in December, I miss him so much.
 
Hi Dorothy, I am so happy to hear that your OS appointment went well. You sound really up and that's a good thing.

Come and see me sometime at work!!
 
Dorothy, great post. Delighted for you. So, what do we talk about now <grin>. We have talked knees so long it leaves a void (but an absolutely wonderful void). I wonder why OSs only take Xrays which don't show soft tissue. But hey I am NOT going to rain on your parade.

You have been helping others on BS for ages (ME for starters), even though your post sounds like you are just about to start doing that. I'm not sure if help and support counts for more if it comes from those who have made it. I think it doesn't matter - help and support from any source is valuable. But without a doubt you can say I didn't have it easy but I, TEXAS TURTLE aka DOROTHY GOT THERE AND ITS WONDERFUL. That's 2 great outcomes recently yours and @RunA42K. @Dabber You and me next :dancy::dancy: Hugs and Bugs Carol
 
@patient 99 -
[ I wonder why OSs only take Xrays which don't show soft tissue. But hey I am NOT going to rain on your parade.

We talked about the soft tissue and he examined me and I still have a ways to go, but now I'm at the point where strengthening will ease that pain. II still have swelling after exercise and he said to go ahead and get on the bike, and ignore the pain. Like any exercise, not to overdo it, just work on strengthening and it will continue to get better. And you mentioned, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. My knee is still a work in progress, I just hope he's right and it will continue to get better and better. Have you been to the physio yet? Look forward to hearing what they have to say. Dorothy
 
Because xrays don't show soft tissue! They only show bone!

Exactly. So why do OSs seem to restrict themselves to Xrays. They take an Xray and say everything is hunky dory, but all they have checked is the bone/prosthesis. Soft tissue issues like excessive scar tissue seem to get ignored. Is it to do with cost? Are MRI scans, which would show much more than an Xray, too expensive?
 
Hi @turtle68 ,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I have had a longer recovery also, but oh whist joy I am finding now!:happydance: Yesterday, when I was walking, my foot "snapped" causing considerable pain, so I have to get that checked out by a competent dr. Tomorrow. The Emergi care focus didn't look at my foot, just told me I had arthritis, duh, and sent me home.

I am so glad that you are making great progress! Mine is just a bump in the road of life, and I will be swimming tomorrow!:yahoo:
 
@RestAssured and thank you for your kind words. Did I read somewhere your husband was thinking about relocating to Houston? We just relocated to a new home in a wonderful Del Webb community SW of Houston and love it. Keep me posted on your whereabouts and maybe we can meet up if you're in the area. And yes I am making progress but the hematoma on my left leg is still working on healing itself, still exercising but have to ice and elevate a couple of times a day and now it's time to start with the heat on hemotoma. But as you said, it's just a little glitch along the way. I have a new goal - I want to get strong enough so that I can start Dance and Line Dance exercise classes. Can't swim right now because I also skinned my knee when I fell on it.

Dorothy
 
Yes, there is a big possibility that we will be relocating. Pat is looking for property on a lake so I don't know what area that is. I will be walking my first 5K in the Bloodgusher 5K March 29th! I am so excited!:happydance:
 
@patient 99 I was online responding to you so I guess we were talking in real time. I'm doing okay. We're going up to our friends 50 miles away for dinner and may be spending the night. Left knee still hurting, but I guess it's going to take awhile. Thinking I may go have my GP look at it if it doesn't start to feel better soon, and x-ray it. OS didn't seem bothered about it. I'm such a big baby, I hate pain, especially when it wakes me during the night. Other than that we've finally got some beautiful weather here so we've been thinking about landscaping. Really miss the beautiful garden we had in last house, so it's time to plan another one.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Hello Dorothy, I love your new thread title! Great update too! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, HAAAAAAPPY ANNIVERSARY-ARYYYYY! Said in my Fred Flinstone voice. lol

I've been laying low, having good and bad knee days. It's amazing how each of my knees take turns being the bad knee. I think "big brother" is jealous. So sorry to hear about your BooBoo (both events can be a traumatic experience... Colonoscopy included. Lol) I literally LOL at your "it's the S@&/!" Comment, brought back old "not-so" fond memories. Lol :0)

Hoping your knee Boo Boo heals soon. Guess your other knee was jealous too. I know both of them better get their act together so you can go line dancing. That's something I always wanted to do. I guess I'll put that on my bucket list. I love the swing as well, I will take more lessons once I'm healed. I guess the Jitterbug is out at this point. Lol Only Carol @patient99 and D'Diana @newkneeinjune can pull that off. Lol

Hope you guys are having a good day.

Take it Kneeeasy ^.~
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom