TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary, it looks like you were right about your knee---so now, you know what a stable knee feels like. Perhaps it will be as simple as replacing a spacer. I have to say that my left knee feels so much better, I can hardly believe the difference.
Also, do you see that I tagged you? Kel
 
Skigirl, if they said all I'd need is a spacer change, I'd go for it. But I'm told it might be that simple, or they might redo the femoral component. Plus likely go through arthrofibrosis all over again. In the fall I'll reconsider my options.

OK I went and checked being tagged. Thanks for alerting me.
 
Mary, I'm so happy to see that the brace is helping you. Here's hoping you continue to get stronger and stronger!!
 
The brace has enabled my quad to go to work again after an 18 month hiatus! I'm trying to not to look yet to see if it's getting bigger and will wait until the end of July to see if the results show!
 
Wow! Mary, I don't know if I could go that long without at least a peek. If you can, you got a lot more "won't" power than I do.
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
Just so glad that something is finally working for you and making things better. You more than deserve it.
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
 
The brace has enabled my quad to go to work again after an 18 month hiatus! I'm trying to not to look yet to see if it's getting bigger and will wait until the end of July to see if the results show!
:thumb:
 
Mary- I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how things are going. Hope you're able to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather we're having this week!
 
Thanks Coachie for asking. What a great summer we're having here in Maine. Yes, with my brace I am much more able to do things, and not be exhausted by activities as I was pre-brace.

I am taking a break from doctors but in September I hope to figure out where to go next with my knee. It's large and puffy, I suppose from the fibrosis. I suspect there's a lot of scar tissue inside and I would like to have it out. It does affect my strength in the bent position, such as stepping up. I feel pressure around the kneecap.

Arthrofibrosis is one of those things that is not well understood or easily treated. Orthos seems to have a binary response to TKR problems -- either you're "fine" and referred to a shrink or a pain specialist, or you need a revision. Maybe another arthroscopic procedure to clean out the scar again might help . . . but as I said, I'm taking the summer off and will pursue these things in the Fall.

Heard there's a new ortho in Millinocket who is quite good.

How are you Coachie? I hope you're enjoying your first summer as a married woman.
 
Hi, Mainers! I will be there the end of this month and I can't wait! First a week in Moosehead, then down to mid-coast, near Acadia! Can't wait to be there and test my new, fine knee!
 
Mary, I was thinking of you the other day. At the suggestion of my pt, I went to see a person who specialized in lymphatic massage. She is an OT. Wow, she is excellent---she had lots of info and suggestions that have helped my swelling. I think that you also might benefit from that. One thing is that if you have scar tissue, it blocks the lymph system from draining properly. I was so interested in her info and the massage of my knee was awesome. I could hear her breaking scar tissue while I was there--it was not painful in the least bit. It is sure worth a try. I looked in the the yellow pages under massage, lymphatic. Diane was an OT, then began to specialize in lymphatic massage. If you can't find one easily check with a cancer center since many women with breast cancer have lymphatic issue. Kelly
 
Thanks Kelly. I think I can find someone, and it's a whole lot more appealing than having my knee treated with "scalpel therapy."

Jan, your tour of Maine will take you past the three Maine bonesmarties I know of (Coachie, wanttoride and myself). It's been a great summer. Lots of great trails in Acadia National Park!!
 
Last year in Acadia, all I could do was the Beach Trail. This year, I am aiming for more challenging hikes!
We have spent many years on the mid- coast, and for the first time will be spending our first week up in the North.
My mid-afternoon knee aches at work have diminished these past few days, and I hope this trend continues in time for vacation!
 
There are a bunch of carriage trails that give you the scenery and distance without the rocks and roots and climbs, thanks to the Rockefeller family!
 
Since I still feel that my knee issues are not resolved but can be resolved, I continue to think about TKRs and follow your various threads with special attention to those with adhesion issues.

After two "expert" second opinions, a lot of internet research and lots of thinking, I've theorized that my knee is still effused and feels odd (pulls across the kneecap when stepping up, for instance) because there is scar tissue in there, and the scar tissue is in turn irritating the synovium. I'm currently enjoying feeling as if I have my life back after a very protracted recovery, and once September comes around I'm going to go ask my OS to scope my knee again. Just wondering if anyone has any thought about my theory (scar irritating synovium).
 
Mary, I think you are right on the money, I agree completely. I also agree with your decision to scope the knee again.

I have had good luck with lymphatic massage---I think you have used it as well. Mary, I know that the scar tissue that I had last year irritated the synovium. I think you have a good grasp of adhesions. Maybe you should become an orthopedic nurse!! Kelly
 
Thanks Kelly for your input. I love this forum, but there are a few whose messages I really cherish and one is you certainly because of our common experience.

It baffles me that I have been unable to find one single reference to the notion that scar tissue irritates the synovium but it makes common sense to me. It would probably hurt more if my knee parts were native tissues instead of titanium and polyethylene.
 
Mary,
I agree with you and Skigirl, that scar tissue irritates the synovium. I would think the scar tissue would rub, tug, and restrict the movement of the synovium causing irritation.
Scar tissue and the facia tissue we have around every organ, muscle, and bone seem to be not as rigorously studied.
 
We (!!) should publish!!! I wonder if patients can?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom