Guest viewing is limited

TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I found a great way to cope. That's to stop thinking about how to fix the knee. It's on the back burner until I see my ortho, and even then, I'm simply going to ask for a brace. I think to bring up the question of why I'm having this problem will open up discussion that no doubt will be uncomfortable for him and will send me back into the pits.
 
Hi Mary;
I am so sad to see you still in pain with little progress in the knee.

When I was first starting to have issues I decided to up my talk therapy with my Psychaitrist to once a week as opposed to every 6 months!!

I even started seeing a Psychologist associated with my Pain Management team. I see him weekly.

This has been a very rough journey for you both physically and emotionally. Be kind to yourself.
You are right. Stop trying to fix your knee. You cannot do it. I tried to fix mine and failed.
Even my revision may not fix my knee totally.
I am at 3 months and still have pain in the same spots that I had pain in before my original TKR!!!!
I am having to come to grips with the possibility that this is my life. At least for now.
I tried to stop thinking about my knee with the opposite result.
Crazy.
So know that you are not alone, and that to get support, just send a post or PM. We know what you are feeling!!!
Sandy
 
Sandy, what a nice post. Kelly

Mary I have a lot more sympathy for you after dealing with adhesions myself.
I keep blaming myself--did i train too hard at first, etc. But, all of that is useless--the real question is what am I doing now to help the knee. Kelly
 
Mary,

I hate to hear that you are going through this! Please remember, this is the THIRD surgery on my knee, and hunting out the best in his field is what has brought me to the point that I am currently at. I was in a brace with the 2nd one, because the bones were popping out as well as dislocation of the kneecap. First one was dealing with MRSA which I would not wish on my worst enemy!:hissyfit: It is agony living with that superbug when it is active.:hate-shocked:

I know there is an answer out there, but right now, the brace idea sounds like a promising start!:friends:
 
Mary,
You are so right to put it on the back burner. You posted on my thread about just not thinking about your knee, at a time when I was tearing myself up over my knee. Your comment helped me put it into perspective, and I have a much better handle on things now. I hope we find answers, but to find them we do not have to think about our knees and oh what to do all the time.
We need to find some time for fun, and relaxation when we can.
 
Hi Mary,

I really understand how you feel. I think you know I sought a second opinion and it is very different from my doctors opinion. I thought about seeing a third to break the tie and since I live in Texas I could see Sonja's doctor BUT i am sick of driving myself crazy. I can ( with a brace on 24/7) move well enough to go the grocery store and do my chores. I can not do many things I used to do but I am going to find NEW things to do with a crappy knee! I am tired of trying to get better -- as Sandy, Pumpkin, you and some of us know trying to recover is emotionally exhausting.

Minnie:secretaea:
 
Well Minnie take all the breather you need. There's no hurry. But . . . If I lived in Texas I'd go to Sonja's doctor. I actually sent him my records hoping for a phone consultation but they called me saying he wanted to see me. If two doctors said very different things, that in itself says a lot, doesn't it?

I raised by a dyed-in-the-wool skeptic. One of my dad's favorite things to point out was the phrase, "Experts disagree." I just googled that phrase and got 381,000 hits. Ha!
 
Mary, you are the only person I have seen on Bonesmart that has an Optetrak®.

I see you are a year ahead of me. I am very happy with mine. Dr. told me that the latest studies on them show that they hold up for 15 years with 96% satisfaction with few problems.
 
Good to know there's something about my knee that IS food. Appreciate the info.

I meant "good."
 
Mary, I hope you mean good and not food:th_heehee:
 
Today I finally received office notes from a 2nd opinion on my 19 month old TKR. Dr. Parks at HSS concurred with Dr. Freiberg at Mass Gen'l, except Dr. Parks wrote more helpful detail. "The anterior cortex is slightly notched. [I looked this up and I think it means there's a space between the prosthetic and the bone, which can lead to prosthetic loosening.] There is slight valgus inclination of the femur. The tibia is anatomically placed." Also, "Throughout the arc of motion from about 10 degrees to 120 degrees, there is varus and valgus laxity with an end point after extremes of varus to valgus stress." Recommendations are a femoral revision to correct the valgus, and to increase the size of the spacer. He also told me at that appointment that the effusion is a reaction to plastic particles abraded off the spacer as a result of the instability.

I do not plan on a revision in the immediate future, but I am meeting with the OS who did my knee on Monday to ask for a brace. My primary doctor planned to forward to him the two 2nd opinions along with a cover letter by way of feedback.

It was just really good to have these notes about the specific problems with the knee -- good to understand why my knee is the way it is, and good to be validated. It saves me from actually saying anything to my OS except to request a brace to help with the instability.
 
Good for you, Mary! It does feel good to be validated, because you knew in your body, your heart and your head that something was not right!
I also would have sought additional opinions as you did.
Now you have answers, and can move forward with a brace and maybe eventually a revision or not.
I am curious as to what your OS will say upon reading these opinions and seeing your knee now.
Wishing you the best.
 
Although it is not considered polite---don't you just get some real satisfaction from knowing you could, if you wanted to, look your OS right in the eye and say, "I told you so."

It's good that after all this time you do have answers and can move forward as you choose. Hope you find the brace helpful.

Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Finally you have some answers, and a greater understanding about what is going on in your knee. Looking forward to your receiving your brace.
 
will report back on the OS visit.
 
Well I feel surprisingly light and happy today after meeting with my OS. I was there to reconnect with him after receiving two second opinions about a 19 month old knee that is slightly unstable and has an effusion that won't quit, plus my quad is somewhat small. The 2nd opinions did not find anything horribly wrong except some valgus and laxity, which in turn apparently causes the effusion. The quad problem is due to the feedback loop between the knee and the brain which is telling the body to protect the knee.

What a process this has been! It is so important that we with artificial joints have a supportive ortho. The 2nd opinions were helpful except they were limited, and those orthos don't become your allies unless you go back. So, again, the ortho as ally is essential.

Mine proved his mettle today by neither defending or accusing but with professionalism responded to the points raised in the office notes of my second opinions. He ultimately said he did not disagree with the 2nd opinion of Dr. Parks at Hospital for Special Surgery.

So we are going to proceed with a brace and see how this affects (a) my effusion and (b) my quad wasting. If the brace improves things, he said, then I'll know whether revision would solve things.

We also talked about my MCL which seems to be lax.

My ortho explained the compromise involved in spacer sizing, saying that a large spacer might not have allowed me to fully extend. I know from his OR notes that he first put in a 9mm and then a 11mm and noted that the 11mm was acceptable. He did not try a 13mm. The 13mm might've been perfect but we don't know and there's no point discussing it now. What I needed today was to move forward and make the best of what I have.

So where does this leave me? My knee is no better for all the appointments I've had in the last few months for it. But I've got it settled in my mind that the brace is my best bet.

As a side note, it's interesting when I read my ortho's notes done in a little rural hospital, and the notes from Hospital for Special Surgery, which is one of the world's leading artificial knee centers. Yet Dr. Park's transcribed notes were hard to read because of the numerous errors, as if the typist was unfamiliar with orthopedic terms.

Time will tell!
 
Glad to hear you had a good visit with your OS after obtaining two opinions. Helps me to decide if I should go back to my OS after I have my second opinions. Looking forward to hearing how the brace works for you.:SUNsmile:
 
Mary, I am so glad that they are custom fitting a brace for you! :)
As I said in my post, Dr. Maale ended up shortening my quad and shorteniing the tendon in the calf because he said they were stretched out and that was part of the problem. :whistle: Of course the cement was gone also so that didn't help matters any! When I wore the custom fitted brace it worked for awhile. The I started losing more weight and I kept adding pads to it so it would fit. After a few weeks, the brace just slid own and my stability was gone! So my advice to you is make sure you include plenty of chocolate in your diet so your brace will continue to work! :rotfl:
 
Mary, I had a Don Joy brace before surgery and it did help with the stability issue. I am glad that you were able to speak with your doc and that he agreed with the second opinions. I am sure it must have felt wonderful to be rid of the onus of being the penitent asking for his notice and words. Instead, he simply said, you were right---in a manner of speaking!!
Good work on your part--it is not easy running around and talking to new docs.

I think you will find that it is possible that a bigger spacer may solve the problem. But, your doc is right that the spacer size is subjective--they do their best. My own doc said that after he saw how limber and loose I am, he put a bigger spacer in the second knee. He said, "I learned more about your anatomy". If your MCL is loose, wearing the brace may very well help it a little. I know that this knee is much more stable than it was with the smaller spacer--today, I even forgot about it for a while. K
 
Glad you have some answers now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom