TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary,
I am glad that your OS visit went well. I know you didn't know how your OS would respond and I am sure that added more stress. I hope the brace helps. Keep us posted.
Take care,
Greda
 
I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts. I ordered a brace today off a website. It's bewildering trying to figure out which one will work for me. The one I ordered is for all around ligament stability and has an adjustable angle for any valgus or varus. If this one doesn't work I'll go with a custom-fitted one. They tend to ride down, I remember that much. If the brace works, then super. If not, I will go back to the ortho because both he and I have some suspicion that there's scar tissue migrating around the joint. My knee pulls when I use stairs. Not much can explain that except my sensation with scar tissue was it was always pulling/binding.
 
I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts. I ordered a brace today off a website. It's bewildering trying to figure out which one will work for me. The one I ordered is for all around ligament stability and has an adjustable angle for any valgus or varus. If this one doesn't work I'll go with a custom-fitted one. They tend to ride down, I remember that much. If the brace works, then super. If not, I will go back to the ortho because both he and I have some suspicion that there's scar tissue migrating around the joint. My knee pulls when I use stairs. Not much can explain that except my sensation with scar tissue was it was always pulling/binding.

I wore a carbon fibre brace for more than 5 years an I think the key to keeping it from riding down is having an sleeve underneath it. My brace had a method for either having a foam lining attached by velcro inside the carbone fibre, or removing the foam lining and attaching the brace's velcro straight onto the sleeve.

The sleeve fits nice and tightly to the leg, so keeps the brace in position. I rode my bike, walked (until I couldn't), surfed (until I couldn't) and apart from it being hot in summer didn't have a problem. Mine was custom made, and I'm sure that was a factor too. Doesn't help with getting you a seat on the bus though :(

Hope your brace helps.
 
I wore a sleeve also for my last two braces. It helped to keep the braces from rubbing. :)
 
Oh Mary! I'm so glad you now have peace of mind. That has to be the hardest thing, and the mind can make the simplest thing humongous and scary. I like the plan of action, and I hope it's an answer for you. Hopefully, it's temporary.

Hugs.
 
Brace came. The brand is Ossur. Of course Donjoy is the leading manufacturer of knee braces and part of me wonders if the "underdogs" are putting out better stuff to get ahead. Anyhow, I was on the cusp of med and large and chose the med and am glad I did. It's quite snug which is comfy and it doesn't ride down at all. Better even than the custom-fitted brace I had pre-TKR. It has an adjustable hinge so it aligns exactly with your leg. I've had it less than 24 hours and already I feel better and notice that when I step up my quad is engaging more. I'm holding off the visit to the physiatrist that was ordered to see if the brace results in my quad strengthening on its own. But I still feel pulling around my kneecap and still suspect there's some scar tissue behind that.
 
Good news that the brace is the right size and seems to be doing exactly what you need from it. You just can never be quite sure when you're ordering without trying on. Hope those quads keep improving for you. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Brace came. The brand is Ossur. Of course Donjoy is the leading manufacturer of knee braces and part of me wonders if the "underdogs" are putting out better stuff to get ahead. Anyhow, I was on the cusp of med and large and chose the med and am glad I did. It's quite snug which is comfy and it doesn't ride down at all. Better even than the custom-fitted brace I had pre-TKR. It has an adjustable hinge so it aligns exactly with your leg. I've had it less than 24 hours and already I feel better and notice that when I step up my quad is engaging more. I'm holding off the visit to the physiatrist that was ordered to see if the brace results in my quad strengthening on its own. But I still feel pulling around my kneecap and still suspect there's some scar tissue behind that.
I had Ossur braces both times. The second one last year (4 years after the first one) showed how much the technology had moved on in that short time - it was way more sophisticated and adjustable.

The only issue I had with my brace was skin infections in summer. Didn't seem to matter how often I washed and dried the liners, the nylon and foam just weren't great to be wearing next to your skin. Not sure what the climate is like in Maine, but here in Vancouver we're not really noted for our hot weather! When it got warm I wore the brace over my pants (thin cotton ones) and that seemed to help.

BTW if you need to replace your brace straps (the velcro gets less sticky over time), just get them to send you a new set. They're easy to remove/fit yourself.
 
Oh Maryo;
I hope you get some improvement with the brace. Maybe once your quad gets stronger, you will notice less pulling as you move about. My PT told me that once my quad gets better, I should have less snapping over the base of my femur. He may be right, as it is less noticable. Keep moving forward.
Best,
Sandy
 
That's what I'm hoping, Sandy.

Boy what a process this has been for 19 months now. And so much learning. I've had this brace just 48 hours and am noticing two things. One, my TKR knee feels GOOD. I did not think I've been in pain but apparently I have been. Two, my "good" knee (cap) hurts! So this brace has relieved pain I didn't know was there, therefore the pain in my other knee is showing up. Gee, it's almost like evening up the legs of a chair!

I also notice my quad engaging much more. I'm giving this a month before I consider PT. I think this is actually going to work.
 
Mary,
Glad to hear the brace is helping and you are getting relief! :)
 
Mary,

I am so happy to hear the brace is working so well for you! :yahoo:
 
Great to hear this news, Mary!
It is amazing how we get so used to some level of pain that we don't notice it until it is gone!
I hope it all keeps improving for you!
 
Boy what a process this has been for 19 months now. And so much learning. I've had this brace just 48 hours and am noticing two things. One, my TKR knee feels GOOD.
I also notice my quad engaging much more. I'm giving this a month before I consider PT. I think this is actually going to work.

What fantastic news for you Mary. I have been keeping up on your struggles and it is wonderful to read that something may be working for you!!
 
Hi, I just thought I would say Hi. I love the word turtle in your name. I not much of a computer persone so I may of said it wrong. In fact before this site I had never posted on line. I guess I am a turtle too but in a different subject. I just read a little of your story and I am so glad that your brace is working out. You are so right we get use to pain and so we don't realize we are in it until its gone or better. Take care and stay on course. :puppysmooze:Tashia:SUNsmile:
 
Glad you like the turtle part. I've always been a late bloomer. Plus I've loved turtles since my first sighting of a land tortoise in Virginia as a little girl. I thought it was an army helmet! Even now, I shower every turtle I come upon with adoration, and will stop at nothing to rescue one. Recently I rescued a female snapping turtle that didn't survive but whose eggs are being hatched, and an Eastern Painted Turtle that was upside down in the road. I've been known to hole up in my shell upside down once in a while myself!
 
Maryo;
I'm so happy the brace is working for you. Hopefully you will be able to strengther your quads and further stabilize your knee.
Isn't it amazing when we get pain relief and we realize that we were in pain even though we thought we weren't?
I myself have never been much of a turtle fan.
I was bit by a snapper on a camoing trip when I was 7. However, we have a road that runs near a river here and on more than one time, I have gotten out and (with HEAVY gloves I keep in the back) put the turtle on the other side.
My recovery also has been a turtle like yours, although I think I'm still in my shell, upside down in the middle of the road, waiting for someone to rescue me!
Keep up the good fight.
S
 
Mary,
I am so glad the brace is working for you. I hope you continue to see improvement.
Greda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom