TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be little doubt I have an effusion. And I've had my C-reactive protein tested at various times now and it's always normal, plus had the aspirate tested and that was negative, though pink and slightly cloudy. I'll check in again after the anakinra. Thanks orthodoc & Josephine for your thoughtful responses.
 
Best of luck with the injections, Mary.
 
Thanks! Actually, I requested that he scope it. I believe there is a fair amount of extraneous material in there. He can get a look at the synovium. We may go with the injection as well. Will report back in a couple of weeks.
 
It's been two years since my TKR and in parallel I've shepherded my mom through the last two years of her life. She died Sept. 20. I was able to keep her out of the hospital but it was so hard to watch. I miss her terribly, yet I am relieved and hopefully can "cross the finish line" as far as my TKR. I still have synovitis and an atrophied quad. Tomorrow I'm getting scoped to take a look-see and clean out any adhesions.

Josephine would it be possible to change my thread title to "Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line"? I'll post again in a day or two.

Thanks Coachie for your kind remarks. One of my neighbors had NPH so I'm familiar with it. My mom had in-home helpers round the clock and those women have ended up being an incredible support system. My mom was actually very clear headed for the 2-3 weeks before she lapsed into a coma, and some relatives and my sons traveled to come pay their last respects while the visit could be enjoyed. I've received over 80 sympathy cards in the mail, every one of them cherished. Hope you're doing well, Mrs. Coachie!! Good year at school? Nice hubby to come to? The way life should be, right?
 
So sorry to hear the news about your mom.

Good luck tomorrow. Hoping that this procedure brings you relief.
 
Good luck, all the best for an uneventful and successful surgery.
My condolences on the loss of your Mom.
 
Good luck on the scope and hoping for all good news! Will look forward to your update.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. It's an honor to be able to provide the care for her as she enters into eternal rest. You are a good daughter, always know she appreciated it. My mom passed two year ago and in the 2 months prior to her death, she was very mentally active and was helping all of us as we went through this process. She kept asking for all her favorite foods, wanted to drink a beer each nite, which was so out of character but so very heartwarming to see. Her father, my grandpa, did the same thing as he was slowly passing. We enjoyed great family dinners and her dear friends came, spent time with her and she comforted us all. I was a witness to the love that so many people had for her, she made a difference in the world. I aspire to be half the woman she was.

Be well Mary, praying for you today,

Dawn
 
That is such a lovely post Dawn. Hope its a comfort to Mary and help in her process of healing. Of her heart and her knee.
 
Dawn, my mother was that way too. She was kind to everyone, and interested in what they were doing. Even the day she lapsed into a coma, the last words I heard her say was when she looked up at my niece, smiled, and asked how she was doing. I sometimes was grumpy with her because I felt confined. But yes, absolutely, it was an honor to see that her life was as good as it could be these last five years that I've managed her affairs.

When I felt certain my mom was dying, I put out the word for people to come visit, and some did and had wonderful visits. I have a video of her with her first greatgrandchild in which she asks the parents if they'll have more. They said "as many as god will let us have." My mother's reply was, "Sometimes I think he forgets to count." I went through her address book while she was in a coma, located old friends, and some chose to speak to her. I'd hold the phone to her ear, and by the movement of her hands and eyes, I knew she heard them.

Anyhow, late surgery appointment (2:40) so hopefully starvation won't affect my voting!!
 
Mary good luck today!! Hope it fixes you right up!

I lost my mom a few years ago too. It was an honor to know that she was with me when I took my first breath and I was with her as she took her last. She is always in my heart, as I know your Mom will always be in yours. Hugs!​
 
Maryo,
So sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. Just know she knew you were there for her until the end, and what a good daughter you were.
Hope all goes well with your procedure, let us know how things go.
 
OK home after my scope. I do not recommend a mid-afternoon surgery. Nothing by mouth since midnight is hard to stick with until then. I walked into my greenhouse strewn with cherry tomatoes and ate one without thinking and almost derailed the procedure by doing so. Cannot exactly remember what the OS said but things looked good in the knee and the synovium was not red and vascular but white but he removed some material on the lateral side, which is where I feel the pulling when I use stairs. Polyethylene insert and kneecap looked good. Samples taken for study. So all in all a good experience. When I get past the aftermath, I'll see if there's improvement. It's time to get serious about strengthening the quad.
 
OK. Well it's a problem having an old thread with news. It makes me want to start a new thread.

I didn't absorb what the ortho told me about the scope but what I do know is that the aftermath pain is minor and actually overshadowed by the pain in my back from the spinal. Finally my husband looked at the area because it was still hurting after three days, and he said there were four puncture wounds. Oy!

I guess I'll have to wait for my followup visit in 3 weeks to know the results of the scope.
 
It didn't sound like bad news, but then didn't really address what was bothering you, it seems. I guess wait and see!
 
It has been 5 days since the scope on my 2-year old TKR and I've noticed a difference already. I wear a brace for some mild instability, and it can be adjusted to the exact angle of the leg. Unfortunately my leg ended up with a little too much valgus after TKR but yesterday I had to re-adjust the brace to less valgus. A step in the right direction!! This last year and a half since I was able to get full ROM, I have had a pulling sensation on the lateral side of the knee, thus pulling the knee inward. That seems to be gone. My ortho did say he removed some scar tissue on the lateral side. So I'm happy to have this improvement. Still swollen but that's improving. Very little discomfort.
 
Mary....I have been gone from the forum for a few weeks and see that a lot has happened with you!!! I am so sad to hear that you lost your beloved mother. God bless her, she was so fortunate to have your tender care that allowed her comfort and peace as she passed.

I am very heartened by your report on your knee. Time will tell, of course. But it does sound like this scope may be a huge step in the right direction.
 
Thank you Jamie.
 
So, no surprise, I did in fact grow more scar tissue since my 2/23/11 arthroscopic lysis of arthrofibrosis. There was a bunch on the lateral side of my knee. You can see it in the image (lower left); you can see the shaver gnawing away at the scar tissue on bottom right. This arthroscopic procedure was 11/6/2012. (The upper left photo shows the femoral notch where the PCL post is and happily no scar was found in there.)

In addition to a moderate amount of scar tissue on the lateral side and part way around my kneecap, the synovial biopsy revealed synovitis, unspecific origin. "Nonspecific" is a smart way to say "I don't know." My OS says he sees this mostly in people in their 20s and 30s who develop a knee effusion without arthritis. He said my synovium was thickened and inflamed somewhat and he performed another synovectomy. Knee effusions really wreak havoc on function. I have "arthrogenic muscle inhibition" as a result of it.

So I'm happy. The synovium/joint capsule will take a few months to heal from this procedure and hopefully after working with a physiatrist, I will get my quad off the couch so to speak and have two strong legs again (before the other knee poops out!). I'm declaring victory as in "crossed the finish line." It's a compromise but I think we don't get new knees as in knees without issues, we get new knees with new sets of issues. I can live with what I have. I continue to wear my brace daily to compensate for minor instability and don't mind it at all. Thanks to everyone in this forum for their support, and I want to acknowledge a couple of my arthrofibrosis "sisters" skigirl and Birdiegirl123 plus Jamie and Josephine of course for making this important forum work.

[Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
 
Mary, you are a real trouper and an inspiration to all. All this time you have been posting in BS, you have maintained a really positive attitude and shown the light to others in similar situations. I hope this doesn't mean you are going to leave us .....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom