TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three nights now of not waking for meds. I think I am ready to readjust my daytime meds to less often. Since I started at every 4 hours ( i.e. 6x a day), I then cut out the middle of the night pill (5 x day), I am now going to attempt 4x per day. I was so afraid of having to chase the pain, i didn't notice the pain had really changed into achy. This am I had my first post op check. Dr was happy with my extension and encouraged me to continue on the flexion. My hubby, out of his fear, brought up the manual forcing of the leg under anesthesia. Dr said absolutely not. It was good for hubby to hear with his own ears that all is going well. I skipped my naps yesterday, but I think I will take at least one today. I have earned it.
 
Night went well. I went for 8 hours without meds and slept for 7 of those hours. I have PT today, so I may adjust my pill schedule as needed. It feels good to be in control of when I take meds, instead of taking them constantly. And tomorrow I have my first, non-knee related outing since the surgery. I am going with my daughter to watch my son's fiancé try on wedding gowns. My daughter will drive, I will ask for a chair (I think most bridal stores have them ready), and I will provide the handicap placard for the car. It will probably take only a couple of hours, and I can take a nice long nap when I get home with ice of course! For any of you about to imbark on this tkr journey, the most important thing I can tell you is ICE! I don't think it is really important how you plan to ice, but plan so you can have ice as much as possible.
 
Excellent news on cutting back on pain pills. It does feel good to be in control instead of feeling captive to a schedule.

And ice! Glorious ice! Where would we be without it? I'm convinced it was nearly as good a pain-killer (for me) as the narcotics. Just helped a ton every time I used it.
 
I keep telling hubby that I may just continue the ice for another year or so! One morning I had him wrap a heated towel around my feet while I iced and elevated my knee. Pure heaven! The 2 things I was not prepared for pre tkr was the amount of pain, and how good icing felt.
 
Might ask for 2 chairs. :) One to prop the leg on if gravity starts to bring on pain. Never know how long it may take the bride to be to pick out "The Dress". :) Sounds like you're doing really well and getting this recovery process down. Be prepared that it is not a linear recovery and don't overdo anything.
 
I'm liking the heated towel on the feet while icing thing! :ice: Icing always made my whole body feel chilled, especially that first six weeks or so. A heated towel on the feet sounds like the height of pampering!
 
@OJ2 Sounds like all is going really well in this early stage of recovery. I'm about a week ahead of you for my left knee (had my right done in June). I followed the same process you describe in weaning off the pain meds. It's not a linear process (nothing in this recovery is) but I've gradually gotten to most days being narcotic free (I still take a dose before bed)--and it is a relief to be more clear headed!
 
@gertie I plan to work on being drug free during the day, with Tylenol being the last to go.
I had PT this am. Flexion was at 93 degrees but I can't do a whole circle on the bike. Therapist knew I did not want him to manipulate my knee, but he did a very soft massage on the knee cap. He asked if it hurt, and I assured him I would let him know if it did. The massage felt good. Yesterday I walked 2000 steps, so I am going to make that my daily goal for a few days. After PT I came home and took a 2 hour nap. My brain is telling me to get up and get something done, but my BoneSmart friends tell me to go slow, so that is what I will do, and I will just enjoy the small progress indicators.
And I definitely will ask for 2 chairs tomorrow. Although I can walk without aids around my house, I am taking/using my cane, for the visual effect and the sympathy. Might as well enjoy it. But I plan on getting myself "settled"and then let everything else be about the bride!
 
have a great time going on on your first non knee excursion!!! It always feels good to do something normal!!! 2 chairs will work great!
 
Sounds like you are doing really well! Good luck on your outing tomorrow. I agree with two chairs - I went for a haircut in week 3 and could barely stand to let my leg hang for those 20 minutes.
 
I was able to get a chair and a foot rest at the bridal shop. So glad I went along. It was a fun, bonding time with my daughter in law to be. I went to church this am, and although my knee was not comfortable, it made it through.
I still have some achiness but no real pain. I have cut the oxycodon back to 2 per day and question whether or not I even need those. I am also taking 3 tramadol and 3 (500g) Tylenol per day. I am thinking of omitting the oxycondone all together and try just the tramadol and Tylenol. Any guidance on cutting back on meds?
 
Try cutting back to one per day, perhaps at night, or after a period of activity, for a few days, rather than cutting it out entirely. The reason is some people have strong withdrawal reactions to stopping suddenly. I stopped rather abruptly and felt sickish for a few days. :nah:
 
I agree with Susie on weaning off your narcotic Meds slowly. I had no idea about the effect of stopping abruptly. I decided one day I didn't like the constipation and other side effects of the Tylenol3 and stopped taking them. I was very sick with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea for four days and only clued in at the end that it was from dropping the drug. I would never advise anyone to do that and I will know better for my next knee!
 
Thanks for the tips. I took only 2 oxy yesterday, and I think. Will try 1 for the next few days. I think I may up the Tylenol to the max recommended on the bottle to help keep the achiness away, and keep the tramadol at the current three a day for a while. I don't feel I have any unpleasant side effects from the tramadol, but that may be because I blame the oxy for everything.
I am walking around the house without any aid now, but will continue to take the cane with me when I leave the house. Slow and steady wins the race! I keep telling myself that I have no deadlines, so I have the luxury of taking naps, icing the knee, and resting a lot. Hubby is doing a good job of taking care of me, and I am not in a hurry to have that stop.
 
You are doing wonderfully. :egypdance: I also took the cane with me on my walks at first, for a couple weeks until I felt my walking was stable enough to go without. Actually, the first time I went without was because I forgot the thing. Just forgot. Which meant I trusted my legs.

The stiffness will hang on for a while. I still have some (much less than at one month) but it vanishes quickly when I walk around the room. Tylenol does a good job for when I get a little sore. I get what you say about the oxy, though. Once you don't need it for pain, its shortcomings become clear: queasiness and bowel issues. Good riddance. Weaning slowly will make getting off it more pleasant.

Kudos to your hubby for understanding that slow and steady really does win this race!
 
I do get frustrated at times that the rom is not better, but it sure helps to read other people's experiences and know that more improvement is coming. I am now walking 2500 steps per day and will slowly increase my goal for daily steps. Being aware of everyone's warnings about trying to do too much in the 4-6 week range, will hopefully help me to avoid that bump in the road. I am naturally prone to trying to do too much anyway, so I have put on the brakes, and will continue to perfect my art of napping.
 
Down to 1 oxy per day ( before bed). Still having terrible dreams, but at least I am getting some sleep. I ran out of Tramadol before I noticed, so I guess I am dropping that as well, and just relying on Tylenol. If that doesn't work, I will call in for more Tramadol. I am not a glutton for pain, but I can usually work through achiness because icing helps a lot. Walking around the house without the cane, but I will still take it when I go out. I am trying for 2000 steps each day. Still napping as much as I need. I think I sleep better during naps than I do at night.
 
In my opinion, I wouldn't drop prescription pain medications cold turkey. My body always requires me to ween off of them no matter what kind. I weaned off of Tramadol as well. That was my last medication to stop.
 
Just got back from PT. Flex is 100 degrees and extension is 3. Therapist was happy with that and several times reminded me to not overdo things and take plenty of rests. He's happy and I am happy . Now I am sitting at home with ice on my knee, getting ready for a nap. I told myself I could take an oxy if I needed it after PT, but I don't think I need it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom