TKR Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the healing side! The pain will slowly ease and you will need fewer and fewer drugs. One day you will realize that the new knee feels better than the old one did.

Nap away! Sleep is golden whenever and however you can get it :yes:
 
Welcome to the healing side! Please, please listen to the others and nap whenever you feel like it and whenever possible. You will find that night's are usually difficult to get and stay comfortable so your sleep will be interrupted for quite some time yet. It is important that your body gets as much rest as possible to heal. I was never ever a day time napper but this surgery takes its toll and makes a napper out of all of us!
Napping allows us to get through the energy sapping activities like going to the bathroom lol!
Keep us posted as to how you are making out. We are here night and day!
 
I am not planning on going anywhere for the fist couple of weeks.hubby can get anything I need, andneighbors are ready to drop in if I start to go stir crazy. I really could not ask for anything more. Icing like crazy. I let everyone tell me max of 20 min but I do much longer.
 
I agree about the napping it's so nice if you can get 1/2 away from pain a few times a day especially as the nights are so disturbed I started putting a pillow between my knees at night and that helped me sleep for an hour maybe 2 but recently bought an amazing non ice pad it's called a chillow pad I ice all day and take my ice to bed but when it's gone warm I reach to the side of my bed for my chillow pad which is flat on the floor I then put that under my new knee and it is so very very good I haven't needed the pillow between my legs from about 2 am it really works it's a pad about 16 x 10 you fill it with water the first time then leave it for 4 hours then you roll it up tight to get the air out then it's ready to go never have to do a thing again you can top up with water every month stayed lovely and cold no need to refrigerate you can just for 15 minutes but you never freeze it. Wishing you a speedy recovery every day is a new day and one more nearer your new life xx
 
I am having a hard time staying awake. I slept well last night in my bed and wil see how I do tonight. Naps have been on my recliner. Pain is pretty much under control, due to terrific drugs. I am pretty patient right now because I am so drowsy.
 
If you find yourself having difficulty keeping your eyes open, just give in and take a nap. You know how babies need so much more sleep than everyone else? Well, TKR is a baby and needs as much sleep as it can get for now, morning, afternoon and evening. That is the priority, along with ice, elevating and eating regularly. :smile2:
 
I am not usually a napper so this is all new to me. As long as I sleep well at night, I won't fight any naps during the day. I am trying to take each day as it comes. I don't have anything I absolutely HAVE to do, so I am not making any demands on myself. I can take all the healing time I need.
 
I would suggest that you not fight the naps regardless of how well you sleep at night. There may be nights that you don't sleep well just because of a number of reasons. Rest is very important right now.
 
Hi, OJ2!

I had my TKR on July 17 and, like you, I slept wonderfully....for a while! I napped and slept thru the night, with trip to the bathroom once, maybe twice. But the last two weeks (weeks 3 & 4), have wreaked havoc on my sleep. All of a sudden, I either can't sleep at all or I'm sleeping for hours on end. No rhyme or reason!

I hope you don't have my experience, I'm just echoing everyone else's advice to nap when you can! Best wishes!!
 
I am having trouble finding a position I can get into without pain. Getting in and out of bed is hard. getting in and out of the recliner is hard. Any,tips on how to get situated without pain!
 
Is your bed high off the floor? If it is, use a stool ( with help nearby!).
Is your recliner low? If it is, add a thick cushion so that your knees dont have to work so hard.
When getting up from your recliner, straighten your TKR out in front of you and let your natural knee and arms do the work of pushing you up.
Hope this helps!
 
Along with Thesoutherncook's advice, I would add to make sure that you are taking pain meds on a regular schedule like clockwork, even if you don't feel as if you need them. This will help you stay ahead of the pain curve so that hopefully you can be more comfortable. Also, keeping ice on TKR almost continually does wonders to help with pain.

Unfortunately you will have days where you find that you just can't get comfortable. I know that I did, and thought that I was going to lose what little of my mind I had left.

To get in bed, you may need to use something to lift TKR leg into bed. What worked for me (my bed is quite high, although I am pretty tall) was to go on the side of the bed where, with my head ending up at the top of the bed, me TKR leg would be the first to go up. I would sit on the edge of the bed, slide myself on just a little more using my arms, lean back, and then take the foot of my good leg and put it under the foot of TKR leg to lift TKR leg up and swing around into bed. I would then use my arms and good leg to scoot around. I did the same to get out of bed, just in reverse.

Now, I have read (I don't recall where though) that this is a big No No to use good leg to lift other leg, so maybe @Josephine could clear that up.
 
There's no no-no about it, Fire wolf. In fact, I've known many PT/physios teach this method to hips and knees alike!
 
I am taking the drugs round the clock. I am letting myself fall asleep to nap whenever I can. The therapist came today. He was pleased to see how I had my legs elevated and pretty straight. He told me that we only need to do gentle, slow movements or we will cause more pain and swelling. He said I am almost straight even now and that the flexion will come on it's own, in its own time.He even asked if I was ok with him measuring the knee. I liked that he was encouraging and never touched me without asking, and really only touched while measuring. After he left, I iced and napped. I woke up to a falling sensation that jerked my knee. Wow, that hurt. So hubby changed the ice pack and I will enjoy this for a while.
 
What a wonderful PT you have! I hope you continue to have therapists that are this good and reasonable! This is how it's supposed to be rehabbed! You are blessed!
 
I was encouraged by the therapist. He was very positive and assured me I am doing things the right way.
 
Your therapist sounds like a dream. Do everything you can to keep him, because he will be a pleasure for you to work with and will help you safely rehab your knee.

If you can elevate your recliner (put it up on books, or blocks, or some other way), that might help. Also, make sure you scootch forward so you're seated on the edge of the seat, and push to your feet from there. If you sit further back, it's harder.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom