Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ally, I don't disclose my actual location on the forum, due to security reasons.
 
Spring has not sprung in Michigan either. Snow and sleet yesterday...more rain ALL week ahead
The cold and dampness does not help bone on bone pain
I want my shorts and flip flops!
 
When I become famous, I am going to ask for 'world peace' and 'consistent climate' ... Weird weather all over the planet at the moment...

It will soon be winter down under!
 
Well I am excited about leaving for 4 days of quilting retreat, even if my hip isn't! It has been making lots of clunking, clicking noises in protest, but I told it to pipe down. :skep: Using the cane, bringing a cushion for the chair for sewing and some extra pain pills. So that darn hip can just behave so I can have one last "fun time" before surgery. See you all when I get back!
Debbie :yahoo:
 
Enjoy your 4 day quilt retreat. Hopefully it will help take your mind off the pain
 
Quilter's retreat was wonderful! Lots of fun, good food and I even finished a quilt! I had to lay down a few times to give the hip a rest, but it really wasn't too bad. Now I will start focusing on getting the house in order and other stuff before surgery.....7 weeks to go! :thumb:
 
Hi sqwerlie that's something I've often wondered about having a go at. You say you finished a quilt, that's brilliant and I'm glad so your hip was kind to you and didn't cause too much problems. It's good to get the house sorted pre op, if you're sat looking at it after your op it's a real temptation to try and do things that really you shouldn't!!
I've just booked in my second hip today and I'm joining you on the 17th June!! :friends:
 
sqwerlie Ooooh fun! (NOT). I'm glad you like quilting, I know many who do, but I ain't one of 'em. I will, however, view your results with awe and appreciation! A good way to make the run-up to new hip more attractive, wasn't it? Good memories, a notebook full of new ideas, and best of all, you can go out and buy fabric....shhhh...don't tell anybody you're buying more fabric..... for piecing more quilts in recovery!!! Make one called "......, um......" ....we need a contest to see what your THR quillt should be called! :)
 
@zauberflöt, you are too funny! That's just how it is with buying more fabric, try to sneak it into the house without hubby noticing that I brought more home! Just popped in on my daughter's computer.....lightening strike fried our internet router and I am going through Bonesmart withdrawal! Have a great vacation....as you go down Rte 28 into Falmouth, past the hospital road, wave at Minot St on the right...that's where I grew up. And when you get home, it's on to that new hip!

Debbie
 
No router, no computer and no Bone Smart, I'd have withdrawal symptoms too!!! :cry:Fingers crossed you get it fixed soon!!
 
Thanks Littlejem, it has amazed me how much I rely on my Internet connection. I'm hoping the router arrives tomorrow. The morning of the storm, I tried to turn on my computer and it wouldn't power on. So then I tried the laptop and realized the router was fried too. When I tried to call my hubby to tell him the "good" news, I found out the phone had gotten zapped too. No computer, no Internet, no phone....that was the longest day of my life! I had to actually do housework! :rotfl:
 
that is crazy...i have had internet issues for a week. I switched from Att DSL to UVerse, and got rid of my Comcast cable. Install took 5 hours...then still had internet issues...back yesterday another 6 hours, back today and think I am set. It is horrible to be without internet, especially right before surgery, where I am trying to get all my ducks in a row
 
Finally called again yesterday...they never sent the new router!:hairpulling: They are overnighting one to us at no charge. I have been lost without my internet....there just isn't a whole lot else I can do right now with my free time. I started getting this shooting pain in my bad hip that comes randomly, so I've been staying close to home. 6 weeks and counting!
 
Sorry you have had more pain, that's the problem with hips you get pain in the most unexpected places as well. I have pain in the groin and backside but my worst pain is in my leg just below my knee. I have a sharp stabbing pain that, when at it's worse, comes every few seconds, in and out and the worse time is in the middle of the night when it just seems relentless. :cry: Not much longer now though though surgery buddy!! I was signed off from physio today, just keep up with stretches at home, until the next one!! :happydance:
 
Sqwerlie, sorry you're getting that nasty pre-op pain. I think we've all experienced it and we comment how different things are after surgery. Hang in there, it will get better, we promise!

Hope you get that router soon. Dang interwebs - can't live with them, hate to live without them!
 
I have a question for those of you who have gone through the THR surgery. I know that a raised toilet seat is recommended, but is it a necessity? The reason I'm asking is that there are 6 of us in the house and only the one bathroom. It's a really small bathroom, I use the sink and the windowsill to raise myself off the seat without breaking the 90 degree restriction I will have. What do you think? I know my family would be happier if it didn't need to be in there :heehee:
 
How tall are you the taller you are the more you'd need it? I'm 5' 3" and did wonder if I could do without it as my feet were swinging when I sat on it and I stopped using it after 4 weeks. Can't you just use it for the first few weeks then see how it goes?
 
Sqwerlie, there are several issues here with the toilet. One reason for the raised seat is because most toilets at home are simply too low. When you sit down, you are breaking the 90 degree rule. A second reason is to make it easier to get up without breaking any rules.....but also just to get up more easily with less pain, and less likelihood of twisting anything in an uncomfortable way. So as onerous as it sounds, the raised seat is important in the beginning.

However....you don't have to use one of those contraption chairs that go over the toilet and would be cumbersome for the rest the family to move out of the way, or to sit on. You can get a polyurethane seat that goes over the toilet bowl itself, and everyone can use it. No big deal.

The one I used looked pretty much like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Invacare-no-685-Raised-Toilet-Seat/dp/B000E2669I/?tag=ate362da-20

You'll see a wide variety on Amazon, with a wide variation on prices. I borrowed mine; my insurance would have covered it though if I had wanted my own.

Hope that helps.
Sharon
 
Oh duh *slapping myself on the forehead* Thanks sharonslp, that never occurred to me that they would have a seat like that. Just like the potty training seats we used for the kids. And if they complain, I will remind them of that :whistle:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom