Guest viewing is limited

Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
sqwerlie Here is my hand, hold on tight!:console2: I too am that nervous, mind runs away with things type so I feeeeeel your pain. The doctors are going to know exactly what to do for you-- and then it will be ok! I know that's not very good, but it's something! :kittykiss: :kittykiss: :kittykiss: My three cats want to purr in your lap! :) chris
 
You have come to the right place with hip problems. After the doctors get in there and find out what's going on then you will know more. If they find out there's infection in there, that's good that it will be getting the treatment it needs. You will be fine and relieved once you know exactly what's going on. Keep us posted, we will help you through this.
 
He did some labwork and called me a couple of days later to tell me it indicates there is infection in that hip.
There is a condition known as aspectic inflammation, meaning it's not septic. It's an acute form of inflammation which behaves like an infection only it isn't infected. Some rest and antibiotics - because such a condition is prey to secondary infection from within your body - should clear it up okay. It's not an uncommon occurrence so please don't worry. And spacers etc.,are only used after a hip replacement is done so you've no need to worry about that either!
 
I forgot to say that in the medical world, we often refer to these as "septic hips" but they often not. And if they are, the bugs are from something like cystitis or a sore throat so easily treated.
 
sqwerlie

My hands will be with you tomorrow. I had an aspiration when I was a kid, but can hardly remember. I agree with Jo's comment that most of the cases it will be a-septic (without microbes) but there is inflamation which appears as high CRP or high sedimentation in the blood work.
I'm glad that the cortison injection has been a temporary relief for you, and hope it lasts until June when you'll have your surgery.

I had my cortisone shot last August for the first time and it only lasted for 3 months, jsut as I expected. As long as the infrastructure continued to be bad- the mechanics-, the drug could only be a temporary relief, which was the case for me. When I asked my OS to have another shot (I was trying to gain some time to loose weight) his recommendation was that there is evidence that multiple shots may increase the risk of infection post operation and he also recommended that there should be at least 6-8 weeks of window period between the injection and the operation. Thus, I decided not to have another one and with the councelling of moderators and other hippies here, I decided to pull my operations forward and get through with it. I am so glad that I had it done.

I'm definite that you will be so relaxed after your operation in 2.5 months.
 
sqwerlie so sorry you've had to join us here, but as you probably can already tell it's a very comforting place to be when anxiety is up due to all of the changes occurring with our pesky hips!

Sounds like your new OS is really on the ball and very proactive with your circumstances and you have Jo here to interpret and be our constant voice of reason! I'm sure it will all work out for you.

Our stories are very similar with repect to the labral tears and scopes. I was lucky to get almost 2 years out of my right one before I had to get my hip replaced. My other side is doing fine at this time (and I hope it stays that way for a long, long time!)

Keep us posted on your appointment, as we're all here pulling for you! :console2:
 
My doctor said the xrays showed bone has collapsed on itself. I don't really know what that means.
:)
 
Ok, now I can say I've had a hip aspiration. Ouch! Actually, it wasn't too bad, just all the poking they did got a little uncomfortable. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) there wasn't much fluid in the joint, so I don't know if they'll be able to do any of the tests the OS wanted. On to the next step! Thanks for all the encouragement and hand holding. I slept a little better last night!
 
Now to convince the kids still at home that they really are going to have to take over the housework for a few weeks....I think they think I'm exaggerating. :happydance:

This might not be as difficult as you think. When your kids see you come home from the hospital on whatever assistive devices are required by your OS after your surgery they may "step up to the plate" pretty quickly and be helpful. The key is to stay in your comfy clothes as long as possible and do nothing because once you move towards the dishwasher or start a little cooking project or get your clothes and make-up on they will think you are healed and back to work!! If there seems to be any doubt in their minds you can always flash them your scar...

I'm sorry that you had to have an aspiration!! Are you started on any medications or to wait until some results come back on the fluid that was drawn?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Sqwerlie, girl, when you come home with your new hip you need to milk this for all it is worth, in the interest of building character in your young'uns.

As Cardie says, once you make a move toward the kitchen or clothes washer, it will all be over. Don't let them see you without your walker for at least a week. It wouldn't hurt to moan and groan a little, or give out with a heartfelt sigh once in a while. A little creative helplessness can go a long way:heehee:
 
:heehee:You guys make me giggle....and give some very good pointers! I will remember to stay in the comfy clothes and moan a lot when they are around....LOL
 
Scary how quickly the deterioration happens...having surgery on my left hip. My right hip has minimal narrowing, but after how quickly I progressed with my left, I will be keeping a close eye on my right
Hi,
I know how you feel. I'm getting the twinges in the right and am watching a lot closer than I would normally have done.
 
Sqwerlie, girl, when you come home with your new hip you need to milk this for all it is worth, in the interest of building character in your young'uns.

As Cardie says, once you make a move toward the kitchen or clothes washer, it will all be over. Don't let them see you without your walker for at least a week. It wouldn't hurt to moan and groan a little, or give out with a heartfelt sigh once in a while. A little creative helplessness can go a long way:heehee:


I KNEW i shouldn't have went near that washing machine! lol
In my house you have to heal quick or be lost in a pile of dirty clothes.... :eeeuw:
 
Our washer and dryer are down in the basement. With my leg, I've gotten behind on laundry and my hubby has been helping out the last week. He's been taking stuff down, washing and drying it and bringing it up for me to fold. Just went down to the basement for the first time in 2 weeks. Not only is most of the laundry that was all over the floor DONE, what is still there is SORTED! The man has laundry skills and has been keeping them hidden from me for 30 years! :shocked:
 
sqwerlie they do have hidden skills, don't they? I can't wait to see what mine comes up with. I don't believe he's ever used the dryer in this house, but in our old house he did all his own laundry anyway. Our laundry is "down" in the garage-- on slab on grade. The two steps down to it are doozies-- rise 12+" and tread about 6".....I think I will avoid that for a long time! When I feel the need to do my own, I'll go out the front door (big luxurious porch steps), walk over to the garage door, and go in that way LOL
 
You have no idea how reassuring it is to hear others have had the deterioration happen so quickly! When the doc said I had a little arthritis in that hip, I figured I had years to go before having to think about THR, not months! After spending time on Bonesmart and reading articles and stories, I am actually getting excited about getting this done. Now to convince the kids still at home that they really are going to have to take over the housework for a few weeks....I think they think I'm exaggerating. :happydance:

Unlike other subject specific message boards it seems that the members are very supportive of each other. I like that :))) And altho I only yesterday joined I can tell you from previous experience that psychologically preparing yourself for your surgery is more than half the battle. It's like 'The Inner Game of Tennis' - your body is smarter than you think. Make the time to find something to laugh about everyday and continue to get excited about surgery. Yes it's sometimes overwhelming :sorry: but just think of it. By Thanksgiving (likely far sooner) you'll be
better than new.

As for the kids and the housework....it's a funny thing with hips and knees. Without a cast on, people seem to not recognize the seriousness of the situation. Today for example I ventured off the bed and into our kitchen. DH does his best but...what a mess. So I tried to create some organized chaos and of course was exhausted after 1 hour of balancing on one leg and crutches. He has not used crutches and innocently mentioned 'wow it doesn't take much to tire you out' to which I said 'honey, try hopping/standing on one leg for an hour and get back to me' (seriously not a bad exercise for family members...sometimes it makes it more relatable)

Take care of yourself :))
 
That's so true about people thinking we're fine because there is no cast. My kids think i'm fine. But just because you look ok and push yourself more, doesn't make you all bett. x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom