Well, I now have proof I am a klutz! This morning I stubbed my toe on my own cane and broke it (the toe, not the cane). And of course it is on my good leg. So I am trying to walk with a broken toe on the left and bum hip on the right. Ice is my friend!
Oh jeepers sqwerlie! How unfortunate for you! And I wouldn't say you're a klutz.. I don't have enough fingers and toes (no pun intended) to count how many times I've tripped on my cane. A few weeks after my surgery, one of my toes suddenly got all red and swollen. The foot doc was concerned, so she sent me to my primary, he was concerned, so he sent me to my rheumatologist, he was concerned so he sent me for an abdominal ultrasound to be sure I didn't have an aortic aneuryism, and then he sent me to a vascular surgeon to be sure it wasn't an embolism. The vascular surgeon spent a minute looking at it and pronounced 'nothing serious, you probably just stubbed it.' Well, thank goodness, but this was after I ran high and low and strained eveything I owned that should've been healing!
So long story short - you're not the only one! Do you have to wear a boot while it heals? I know broken toes can be very painful to walk on. Poor dear. I hope it feels better soon!
Littlejem, it IS kind of funny. I mean, it takes a special talent to break your toe on your own cane! It actually doesn't hurt too horribly bad, as long as I keep ice on it. I'm just thinking maybe I should wear protective gear if I have to use crutches after surgery
Thanks ByGosh, no boot or anything, just ice it and try to elevate it. It's just very bruised and swollen. My goodness, I didn't know a swollen toe could cause so much commotion, they really had you running from doctor to doctor didn't they?!
sqwerlie Yes! They thought it was a rheumatic 'sausage toe' and I might have rheumatoid arthritis, then worried about a clot/embolism. I think because I was freshly post-op they were more cautious. I know if I wasn't post-op I would've just ignored it because I had no pain. But I got worried about it being infected and then infecting the new hips! Big mistake, overly anxious me.
sqwerlie. don't feel too bad. I broke the same toe four times, smashing it on the same piece of furniture. Finally learned to wear slippers. Don't know why I didn't move the chest. Sorry you are in pain once again. Hope it subsides quickly.
Thanks LeeApril26! It's my own fault for being barefoot, but I'm sure it will heal quickly! I told my mom what I did and she laughed at me But then she apologized for passing on the "lack of coordination gene" lol
Good luck with your surgery. I also had my hip injected prior to surgery. Only relived pain about 50% and last about 2 weeks. Surgery was in Jan 2013 and couldn't believe the first time walking (4hrs after surgery) their was NO joint pain. My deterioration happened so quickly from any annoying ache in June 2012 to unable to put on my own socks by Dec 2012. Do not regret my surgery for one minute, hope you can say the same soon.
Where have I been..............well missing your posts that's for certain, sorry!!
I hop, oops fraudulent slip, I should say, hope, your toe is healing well and not leaving you hopping!!
I love, love , love, your new avatar, a cute squirrel in slippers with a walker, it's perfect for you!!!
Nearly at 3 weeks to go surgery buddy, not long now!!!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.