TKR Trying to stay positive so frustrated

@Limpycat

Pt today and the pushing to straighten my leg was very painful.
I actually cringed, when I read that. I had that done with my first knee replacement, and my PT said my husband had to do the pushing on my leg above and below the knee to assist in straightening it. It was horrible. I don't think it actually did any good in the long run.My leg never did get very straight.

I'm finding this time 'round, anything that is painful that I don't stop doing - like maybe walking too much, will guarantee a swollen knee for at least 2 days and more pain overall.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How is it going? I hope you’re doing well and slowly getting back to life.
Have a wonderful week!
@Limpycat
 
You know I said to the in-house PT I’ve had for 3 weeks that, with all due respect, you really have no idea what this feels like. He sheepishly agreed. Now he’s been fine, nothing painful and very encouraging, but I discussed the no pain no gain mentality and he agreed it can be abused by some therapists. He has the luxury of dealing with patients fresh from surgery and just wants to get them started. My outpatient PT did want to push past my pain threshold, which I allowed only twice and since then Ive not allowed it. Today will be my first outpatient PT with the same therapist I had with my first TKR and while it’s mostly going to be evaluation, I have decided to be more in charge and may share with her the simple fact that she has no idea what this feels like if need be. Soft tissue isn’t muscle and needs to be rehabbed differently. Ive learned here to be your own advocate. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
You know I said to the in-house PT I’ve had for 3 weeks that, with all due respect, you really have no idea what this feels like. He sheepishly agreed. Now he’s been fine,
I love this because possibly your gentle honesty made an impression on him that will stick with him throughout his career. We can hope. :fingersx:

Hope to hear how recovery is progressing for you, Limpycat...
@Limpycat
 
I had my tkr on March 20. Have pt come to my house for 2 1/2 weeks. I feel like I have not made progress. Really regret my decision to have this and miss my mobile life. Tomorrow I see my surgeon for my 3 week post op and to discuss outpatient pt. I dread it because every walk I take outside with cane I have more throbbing pain at night. Living on ice.
Oh gee, I know it is so hard! I am about 15 months post TKR and I remember those early days and all the physical and emotional pain that goes along with it. I don’t think anyone is prepared for what this recovery is like. HOWEVER It will get better, it is gonna take a long time. As for me, I still have challenges and the knee will never be the same as our past healthy knees and acceptance is part of this recovery. Take it easy on yourself, if those walks are hurting, don’t do them for any longer than when it feels like you are going to pay for it later. I still ice when I have used the knee a lot( and a lot is a new relative when it comes to TKR)
 
As for me, I still have challenges and the knee will never be the same as our past healthy knees and acceptance is part of this recovery.
That's certainly true for many of us. Very few will be back doing heavy impact activities like we used to when younger- and it is probably for the best that we don't. Most people do get to a place that was much better than immediately pre-op. Also have to consider that our knees would have continued to deteriorate further without surgery.
 
Thanks all. I am now fighting a very nasty cold, fever, aches congestion cough. Sometimes it feels like I’ll never feel “good” again. My daughter and husband have it but not as severe as I do. I know colds heal though and surgeries too. It just sucks right now feeling so icky.
 
am now fighting a very nasty cold, fever, aches congestion cough. Sometimes it feels like I’ll never feel “good” again.
I really feel for you. I remember those first few months. My recovery was in Winter and on top of everything I got endless colds from my grandkids. I suspect our immune system is a bit run down after surgery. All our bodies energy is going into healing our knees and it makes us more vulnerable to infection. You can end up feeling that it is never-ending. I tried vitamins/ probiotics/ throat and nose sprays. Not sure if any of these helped. What did help was just trying to rest/ sleep plenty and not doing too much.
 
All our bodies energy is going into healing our knees and it makes us more vulnerable to infection. You can end up feeling that it is never-ending.
Thanks yes I feel like my body is really battling. I see others get over this bug quicker and I am wiped out. Sleeping and doing nothing but staying hydrated, fed and warm.
 
So nearly 6 weeks out and although I can walk a mile and my motion is pretty good I’m am still TIRED by mid afternoon…pain is better but I’m just pooped! Still nothing to be concerned about at 6 weeks?
 
All normal, @Nancybcello! Honestly, it took me about 3 months to get back to my "normal" energy level.

Check out the illustration in this article (you have to scroll down to the second post to see it).

Energy drain for TKRs
 
I am 12 weeks out and had been getting out, walking feeling better. But have been having a lot of pain again and trouble sleeping from discomfort. I am back to icing and elevating. I hope it’s a minor set back and not something worse. I feel like a sloth again.
 
Hang in there... It's possible you were just slightly overdoing things every day.
I definitely did that, had to back off and stay on a plateau a couple of times.
I found it really helpful to track my walking by fractions of miles (time works too) and my gardening by time, and increase in small increments.
 
Thanks. I may have over done but I thought I was ready to. It sounds like healing still taking place after 12 weeks
 
It sounds like healing still taking place after 12 weeks
Hi Limpycat,
Complete healing can take a full year for most and even longer for some. Keep up with the icing and elevating, it should help. I hope you have a peaceful weekend!
 
What I have noticed is that between three and six months is when many members start overdoing things at the same time they slack off on rest, ice, and elevation.
 
Hang in there... It's possible you were just slightly overdoing things every day.
I definitely did that, had to back off and stay on a plateau a couple of times.
I found it really helpful to track my walking by fractions of miles (time works too) and my gardening by time, and increase in small increments.
Thank you for this! The habits of decades, like "garden till you drop" don't seem to work the same way they did when I was younger, let alone pre-surgery :) Fatigue, overall soreness, knee swelling, etc.--generally joining the ODIC-- seem to sneak up on me but comments like yours help me realize they're really not, that I'm just not paying attention.

Now I realize why I keep singing "Trouble you can't fool me, I see you behind that tree!" (Ry Cooder) to myself.

:eyebrows:
 
You have accurately described my own experience - in my case, going back through my post op steno pad notes and finding the direct correlation between too much of an increase in daytime activity and need for evening acetaminophen with codeine. Doh!!!!
 
How are you doing on this special date? I hope you're feeling better and things are looking up.
Happy Three Month Anniversary! And... Happy Summer 2024...Hope it's one of your best! :SUNsmile:
@Limpycat
 
Heat at your stage of healing is only appropriate well away from the knee.

1705510297746.png
This is such good information-could you direct me to the source for the chart?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom