Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

my first knee still has some numbness after nearly two years. and it's starting to get clunky, maybe with more demands placed on it. keeping the faith and keeping on keeping on!

my first knee was also warm for quite awhile, so much so the doctor checked with blood test (CRP?) before he gave the go ahead for surgery on the other knee. fortunately the lab result was okay.

so guess that's just how i am!
 
Hey...I just noticed, tomorrow is a special day...
Happy Two YEAR Anniversary, Lefty! A flower for you, FS. :flwrysmile:
I hope you have a great
Thursday.
@FleuveStone
 
oh that's right, must have started taking my good newish lefty for granted, thanks for the reminder @Layla :)
 
have been gradually increasing walking outside and did some exercises in the hot tub yesterday. also some scar massage. today my new knee felt pretty good but my now 2 year old left knee felt swollen and clunky. cranky? taken for granted? so I gave her a mini icing session and she seems a bit more content. i think i also fell behind on my meds (acetaminophen and ibuprofen). oops... not a good idea at all.
 
but my now 2 year old left knee felt swollen and clunky. cranky? taken for granted?
Jealous older sister, :heehee: Doesn't like sharing attention. Spread the love, mama.:wink:
Hope your weekend is sweet!
 
now 2 year old left knee felt swollen and clunky. cranky? taken for granted?
I had the exact same experience after my second TKR -- and mine were also two years apart. I think that the first knee was carrying much more of the load as knee #2 deteriorated, was operated on and started to recover.

Just give your 2-year-old baby a little extra love and thank it for being strong. :flwrysmile:
 
funny, @Layla ! a good laugh is good medicine!

it's so reassuring you had the same experience, @benne68 thank you for saying that. i think i let my expectations get ahead of me when i wrote, right on this forum very early on, how well my first knee was doing. oops!

guess there could be some sibling rivalry going on :). time to share the love and attention!

just went to a pool for the first time to do some simple walking and stretching exercises my physio gave me. i really do love being in the water so hopefully i didn't overdo.

icing now!
 
Did you overdo your time in the pool? Really hoping that's not the case. :fingersx:
I hope your Monday is off to a good start and you have a lovely week, FS!
@FleuveStone
 
can anyone tell me if this is normal/to be expected? it surprises me even though it's my second rodeo!
I was surprised by how long my knee stayed warm. It was over a year before the temperature fully equalised with my non- operated side. This worried me and I kept fearing infection. I found papers showing that knee replacement surgery leads to more metabolically activity for up to two years on scans, whilst the healing takes place.
As for the numbness, it never completely disappears but diminishes in size and intensity.
At three and a half years after my PKR it is largely unnoticeable unless I specifically test it out with a pin or my nail. It is just an area about the size of a mandarin on the side of my knee which is slightly less sensitive. The only time it hurts is if I accidentally knock it- when it is really unpleasant, like banging the 'funny bone" in your elbow.
I can kneel and put weight on my knee now- so long as I am careful and use thin knee pads if I am going to kneel for longer than a few minutes.
 
thank you @EalingGran, that's very interesting, i wish that increased metabolic activity would manifest in some other ways :) !

@Layla , well yes i probably overdid the pool a bit :) but it was so delightful to be in the water again i just made a point of resting the next day or two. i kept it down to 20 minutes but then an additional 20 mins in the hot tub.

have been in a phase of multiple healing modalities (I'm sure there's less pompous ways of saying that). US and mild exercises with physio, using a different seating setup like she suggested, hydrotherapy!, short walks and different ADLs, TPI from my doc, and a wonderful massage.

now I'm a bit overwhelmed getting ready for a two night trip to a local island. have made some ice packs, looked for the instant ones @Legseleven mentioned-- unfortunately unsuccessful. but we're supposed to have a fridge-freezer so i have my fingers crossed i can make it work without dragging along the cryo machine.

I'm never the best at packing for a holiday and this adds a new dimension.

thank you all for your kind words and support (virtual hugs all around)
 
I guess your left knee just didn’t want to be left out I hope she starts behaving again soon!

How Lovely to be getting away for a couple of days, I hope both of you have a lovely time and safe travels
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you enjoyed your two night get-away to the island!
Let us know how the ICE situation worked out for you.
I wish you a great week! :)
@FleuveStone
 
I was just checking in to see how your trip went. I'm hoping all is well and your just relaxing and recovering from a wonderful relaxing time.
 
aww thanks @Layla and @eaglemom ! lovely trip, and it's great to be home reunited with my cryo machine :). our place was pretty nice, had an outdoor fireplace that we thoroughly enjoyed. my knee reminded me it's only two months old though, with quite a bit of walking and stairs just to get to and from our suite. glad we went, glad to be home!
 
2 months and a bit on: did my first independent driving today, for an appointment with my doctor. got my second round of TPI for trochanter, glutes and lower back. then I drove my husband to an appointment.

Now I'm feeling sad and worried about what's happening with him, but I'll be strong enough to handle it.. .I think. I'm very grateful for my two new knees and all the help and support I've been getting on here and in everyday life, including of course everything my husband has done. now i might be able to help him out

a few times I've gotten quite achey and realised I've gotten behind on meds. grateful that i have access to acetaminophen and ibuprofen!

also just because of certain circumstances I've had to forego icing a few mornings. i miss it but so far can cope with the aftermath. there's no such thing as perfection but I've realised it's important to stick to two one hour sessions a day as much as possible.
 
Yay, for that first time driving along! I remember how free I felt when I first was able to do that. I bet you did, too!

I pray everything will be OK with your husband. I'm sure he has been a wonderful help to you during your recovery.

Finding time to ice is important at your early stage of recovery. I'm glad you are finding time to do so. You are doing quite well for only a little bit more than two months out!
 
Woohoo for you out there driving again and getting hubby to his appointment!

FS, I am really sorry you're worried about your husband right now. You are strong and will lean on one another for support when necessary. It's give and take, as you know, and I'm certain you'll be a loving caretaker to him when necessary, just as he's been for you. We're here and we care about you and anything that may be affecting you on your recovery journey. You're in my thoughts. :console2:
Sending love and lots of warm hugs when you're under :ice:
I hope today is a good day!
@FleuveStone
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom