Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

thanks for your kind words @sistersinhim and @Layla . it's an emotional time and now I'm a bit tear-y!

but we had a good day. did his new exercises together, which overlap quite a bit with mine (it'll be awhile before we can get a proper diagnosis but it seems to be a neuro/motor disorder). we also did some walking and simple exercises at the pool and even gardened a bit. I've really missed cutting things down :loll: so it was fun to do together.

won't be surprised if I'm achey tomorrow so will stay on schedule with meds, and also see my message therapist--yay!
 
Doing those little things feel so good! Each baby step leads to a big one. You are on your way. Praying for hubby's quick diagnosis resolution.
 
Also thinking of you both and hope that hubby has some results soon. I can only imagine your emotions are all over the place at the moment but it is good you get to do exercises together ❤️
 
Aww, I'm so sorry. :console2: Glad you had a good day together focusing on a project and one another. Hopefully you're not achy tomorrow.

Waiting is the hardest part. Whatever you find out about your husbands condition, there are many treatments and medications to help manage symptoms theses days. You'll get through this together, one step at a time. Big hugs!
@FleuveStone
 
does anyone on here have advice on using a home ultrasound? @sistersinhim might have posted about it recently? I'm about to dust mine off and try it out. my physio got sick and cancelled my last appointment and i can't get another one for a couple weeks so thought I'd try it out on myself but don't know what I'm doing.
 
I'm guessing you mean a TENS machine? The type with the electrode pads that tingles?

If so, HERE is an article on safe use from the BoneSmart Library. Let us know if this isn't what you're looking for information on and we'll help.
Happy Thursday, FS!
@FleuveStone
 
No, she's talking about the ultrasound machine. I keep it on a lower level, and of course, use the gel. If I find I do OK at that level, then I'll try it on the higher one. It's worth a try for you, that's for sure! Amazon has them. If your PT has been using one, then just copy what they did.
 
thank you @Layla and @sistersinhim . i pulled my old US out and tried it. not much of a result but i probably need to lather rinse repeat! keep practicing i guess. a very awkward position trying to reach glutes and lower back!
 
a very awkward position trying to reach glutes and lower back
If you haven't already tried...is it any easier to access these areas by lying on your side?
Or, for your lower back, sitting and leaning forward a little.

If you're like me flexibility "just ain't what it used to be" :wink: Simple movements can feel like a mini yoga challenge. The days of being twisty, flexible and bendy like Gumby...gone.:bawl:

Oh well, life goes on and...Life Is Good!
Happy Sunday, FS. Wishing you a great week!:thumb:
 
happy 3 month anniversary to me! celebrated by doing some gardening with my husband. have i mentioned that i really like cutting things down ?

am now lying on my back with my feet up as i was too bagged to get the cryo machine set up. my back is sore and knee is already on the swollen side so after a bit of a lie down and a bite to eat I'll revisit it and see if i ought to ice right away or can wait till later.

someone mentioned in a post that she would ice sitting down. i feel silly saying this but it hasn't even occurred to me. i thought it wouldn't be effective unless elevating on a wedge.

now that i wrote that down it seems like counterproductive perfectionism. I welcome anyone's thoughts on this! can I use a cryotherapy machine sitting up? does compression work if sitting up? (i have the dual control kind so could just ice. )
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, FS!
I'm glad you spent time on your three month anniversary doing something you enjoy, but sorry you're paying for it this evening.

You don't have to be lying down / elevating every time you ice, for it to benefit you. However, icing while elevating can provide the benefit of helping fluid drain from the leg. If you're mainly icing for comfort or soreness and swelling is only minimal sitting is okay.

Compression does work while sitting, but again, it is more effective if you're elevating. Gravity assists in the fluid draining...so a reduction in swelling.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

I hope with some rest, ice and elevation you bounce back quickly. Sleep well tonight! :sleep:
@FleuveStone
 
someone mentioned in a post that she would ice sitting down. i feel silly saying this but it hasn't even occurred to me. i thought it wouldn't be effective unless elevating on a wedge.
99% of the time when I ice my knee, I am sitting in the recliner. It is just more comfortable that way, and easier to read or watch TV to pass the time.
 
I used my wedge on the foot rest while sitting in my recliner. It worked very well for me and was quite comfortable. It was easy to ice this way at the same time, keeping that swelling down.
 
someone mentioned in a post that she would ice sitting down. i feel silly saying this but it hasn't even occurred to me. i thought it wouldn't be effective unless elevating on a wedge.
99% of the time when I ice my knee, I am sitting in the recliner. It is just more comfortable that way, and easier to read or watch TV to pass the time.
this explains a lot! i don't have a recliner so have been lying flat on my back staring at my phone or eReader. time to try something new!
 
had another visit with physio today after a hiatus due to her being sick and me having too many other appointments.

we agreed that things are generally improving for me though many soft tissues, especially hamstrings and outer hip but also calves, abductors, etc. are limiting my movements and causing pain.

she wants me to gradually increase my walking time, but it can be divided up into two or more walks a day. and also try to work towards the same speed i used to have. I've got some new exercises to do and a brand new soft ball to work (play) with.

she's not keen on IMS as she thinks it's just short term, being passive.

instead of ultrasound today she used an interferential current machine which was a new one on me. she aimed it towards my lower back and hip to work on tendinopathy and lower back pain.

I'm hopeful this is going to go somewhere. there have been mornings when I woke up too early and couldn't get comfortable/sleep again because of acute greater trochanteric/gluteal/lower back pain. fingers crossed this regime eventually works!
 
I hope the new plan is effective. I'm sorry this is disrupting your sleep, that has to be very aggravating.
Please keep us in the loop with your progress. We do care and want you to feel better.
@FleuveStone
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom