Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

today was a pretty good day so I'm hopeful the new treatments and exercises have me on the right track. I'm still using my massage gun (isn't there a better name for that particular tool?!) and everything from L4 to my shin still feels tight but I'm encouraged by a relatively pain free day, even with less medication (acetaminophen and ibuprofen). my new right knee seems less flexible but I'm willing to accept there will be some back and forth as i challenge myself and things improve :fingersx:. slowly. very slowly.
 
Sounds good @FleuveStone maybe we could think of a name for the massage gun? What takes your fancy?
Taking life a day at a time helps, but looking back weekly helps so you can see incremental progress on a weekly and monthly basis.
There are ups and downs in recovery (and life), and I like this picture because it’s so true.
Have a good day and hopefully a good sleep too.
[Bonesmart.org] Trying for Acceptance
 
A relatively pain free day is awesome! Hopefully the new protocol you're following has you back on track soon.
It's reassuring to understand that recovery after joint replacement comes with both progress and setbacks.
As the days / weeks pass I hope you experience great gains and any challenges are minimal.
Happy Weekend! :wave:
@FleuveStone
 
everything from L4 to my shin still feels tight
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
three months has been a big change for me. I'm prioritising nutrition and cooking now, as well as sleep. we moved back upstairs which means icing is more challenging. (plus it's not very warm right now where we live so I'm not particularly interested in chilling myself!) but i am eating well, elevating often, exercising with my husband and focusing on his health and also doing the exercises my physiotherapist prescribed, gardening and catching up on house projects, among other just-living activities.

i also played with watercolours a bit today and plan to do some simple drawing. I'm no artist but these things make me happy! :happyfeet:

feeling pretty good and using much less medication (acetaminophen and some ibuprofen).

the down side is my ROM (flexion anyway) is a bit lower, but I'm convinced by everything I've heard on here that there's lots of time to improve it, and it's important to me to live my life.

i know this could all turn on a dime so I'm trying to be realistically cautious while challenging myself. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the new physio treatments including interferential, hydrotherapy and simple exercises to strengthen glutes and lower back.
 
Last edited:
Nice looking knees you have there! I think you’re doing just fine with your recovery. Many times we forget how much time and patience recovery requires when we get to a second recovery. It’s good to hear you’re finding things to enjoy during this time. Mental health is so important! Hang in there. More good times are ahead for you.
 
Scar is healing nicely, legs look great and you're feeling better. :yay:
the down side is my ROM (flexion anyway) is a bit lower, but I'm convinced by everything I've heard on here that there's lots of time to improve it, and it's important to me to live my life.
Please don't stress over this, give it time, it will come.

ROM improvement is primarily driven by time and progressive healing, not just repetition. Allowing adequate time for pain, swelling, and tissue recovery is essential. In most cases joints natural ROM is present, but temporarily restricted by post op factors such as swelling, stiffness and soft tissue healing.
With appropriate pacing, controlled activity, and gradual return to normal function, ROM typically improves without the need for excessive intensity. Emphasis should be placed on functional movement, gentle stretching, and patient specific progression, rather than aggressive efforts.

Loving your watercolors idea. I bought a couple of adult coloring books and a new set of colored pencils and enjoyed coloring while listening to relaxing music. Very peaceful.

I hope you and hubby have a nice weekend!
 
thanks, @Layla , kind and wise words as always! ah yes music is a wonderful addition to any artsy/craftsy project. that gives me the idea to drag out my aromatherapy diffuser too .. all the good things!
 
Such a good update, your knees look great and it’s wonderful you are getting back to doing normal things and things that make you happy
Hope you and hubby have a good weekend !
 
Your leg looks great. Watercolours sounds like a great idea. It is important to prioritise what makes you feel good.
 
When I had my first kneecap removal, I took up painting. I watched the Bob Ross show, learning how to do it. Four hours had flown by before I even realized it! Of course, I'd get stiff and sore, but I sure did enjoy not concentrating on my knee all the time! I'm so glad you have found something that you enjoy to do, too. I think that's important for all of us. Getting our minds on something besides ourselves and our recovery is refreshing!
 
@FleuveStone That “getting back to life” is a milestone we sometimes overlook or minimize when it happens. It’s such an organic, natural progression. For me, that was such a turning point that I saw much more clearly looking back. It sorta dawned on me that I’d started doing things without consciously thinking about my joint replacement all the time. It’s much like when you finally take off on your bicycle for the first time and it’s never the same afterward. The confidence returns and your body is your friend again. This is so wonderful for you. Continued blessings going forward.
 
Great news, FS! After six months of waiting between before and after your TKR it has to feel good to have those pearly whites checked and cleaned. Glad all went well for you. I always end up with some chatterbox hygienist firing off questions while she cleans my teeth. I don't know why they do that while your mouth is open and then have to stop while you answer, lol. :groan:Hope you have a good Thursday and end to your week!
@FleuveStone
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom