Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trying for Acceptance

Saw my physio a couple of days ago. Have been feeling like both my knees are in a setback--2-year-old leftie and 3-month-+ rightie. It can probably be attributed partly to stopping cryotherapy and not doing any other kind of icing in a serious way.

So I'm sitting here with a big ole ice pad strapped to my right knee.

I'm doing what I can do. Had a couple of basal cell carcinomas removed from my face (under my eye) a couple of days ago and am dealing with the fallout from that. Just uncomfortable now but I can remove the dressings later today and go back on Tuesday to have the stitches removed.

Meanwhile my husband's health saga continues. We've been told that he doesn't have Parkinson's (probably) and probably does have another condition--it affects our lives deeply, but can (probably) be treated (and perhaps even reversed) IF you can get in for it and don't leave it too long (it's already been brewing several years). We're awaiting an MRI since the CT scan wasn't clear enough "to be a slam dunk" according to the PD doc and also a referral to the specialist in this condition.

Anyway, even though I feel like my ROM has retreated somewhat, the physio thought it was still at 115, and that extension is fine. It's just sore and occasionally feels like it's going to give out. Physio did her usual manipulation on my tendinopathic hip and glutes as well as lower back, plus she gave me interferential treatment again. She pointed out that for those of us with more complex conditions, recovery from TKR etc. can be even more complicated. It seems like many of my fellow Bonesmarties are in the same boat, so that helps a lot. I'm definitely not in as much hip, glute, and back pain as last time. Even a couple of weeks ago, I was waking up at night for an hour or more because of pain around the Greater Trochanter, no matter how careful I tried to be about my sleeping position.

So there's definitely been improvement. From what I've read about GT Pain Syndrome and tendinopathy, it takes a LONG time to heal, so I'm grateful for any small improvements I notice.

Acetaminophen is still my friend. Have had to stop using Ibuprofen for awhile because of bleeding related to the basal cell biopsies but should be able to start it again soon if I need to!

thanks for letting me get this down "for the record"! :thankyou:
 
I’m so sorry to read this. Recovery can take a long time, and you have a lot of additional stress in your life which of course affects your body. I hope the scan for your husband helps with a more conclusive diagnosis, and I do hear how hard this is. Thank you for updating us.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Trying for Acceptance
    IMG_4728.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 11
Hopefully the basal cell path-lab report won't require any more surgery on that area. You are dealing with a lot and I hope you will feel better soon.
 
Hi there,
Had a couple of basal cell carcinomas removed from my face (under my eye) a couple of days ago and am dealing with the fallout from that.
I'm sorry you had to go through this. I hope your follow up is reassuring and you heal quickly.

With any luck your husband will get a firm diagnosis soon and next steps bring a reversal of his condition or protocol to manage it in a way that affords him the best quality of life.

In the midst of all of the challenges you're dealing with, I'm glad you continue enjoy progress in your own recovery. I hope you two enjoy the weekend. :)
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you've had a pleasant week so far and your weekend is all you want it to be. :SUNsmile:
Until next time, take good care.
@FleuveStone
 
Goodness. I think you need to sit back and take a deep breath. You certainly are dealing with quite a few various things. I hope you can get your husbands health under control and heading in the right direction. That would help you feel better for sure. Don't over work yourself, it seems as though your heading in the right direction.
 
thanks for the kind comments, everyone! :hugzz:

four months feels pretty good. I've started prolotherapy with shock wave treatment for the trochanter/glute/back area in addition to physio. I'm basically pretty functional most of the time so am very grateful to be here.

the hardest thing lately is trying to get out of the car when neighbouring drivers park too close. between the hip and the knee it's really quite a challenge. fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

but depending on what happens with my husband's health saga , we may need to apply for a parking disability permit eventually. I'm still hopeful we'll get diagnosis and (hopefully) treatment for him in a relatively timely way, and he seems to be doing better taking on simple projects around the house and garden, which helps in a positive feedback sort of way. so fingers crossed...

in about 10 days I'm going for a full skin cancer screening AKA total body photography. then i hope i can put that behind me for awhile.

it's sort of amusing to be at a stage in my life where i have to triage my own medical treatment LOL! for example i most likely have arthritis of the CMC joint in my left thumb. (someone mentioned that condition two years ago on this forum and it fits perfectly.) it flares up if i forget to take enough acetaminophen because knees etc. are doing so much better! but it's definitely at the bottom of my list-of-things-to-discuss-with-doctor, and there are self treatments i can put my mind to.

appreciate y'all listening to me, hope you realize I'm not looking for sympathy but just wanted to get my thoughts down!
 
Oh yes @FleuveStone the car doors…. We have to be able to open them wide enough to get in and out. I worked out last year about specific parking places which worked and those that didn’t. Only permanent disabilities get blue badges here.
Keep on keeping on, you’re doing amazing.
 
i most likely have arthritis of the CMC joint in my left thumb.
One of our staff members had surgery for this last year. You might find her thread about it interesting:

 
the hardest thing lately is trying to get out of the car when neighbouring drivers park too close. between the hip and the knee it's really quite a challenge. fortunately it doesn't happen too often.
That can be very challenging, even when our joints are healthy.

When I had my TKR this year, a friend loaned me her car door handle assistant gadget, below is the one I bought but there are others...which was very(!) helpful until I had better ROM getting into and out of the car. When I returned hers to my friend, I ordered one to have for the next surgery and it lives in my car.

IMG_0073.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, alex_mom!
Looks like a useful item to research for the BoneSmart Recovery Shop. Glad you found it helpful.
Happy Monday!
@alex_mom
 
the hardest thing lately is trying to get out of the car when neighbouring drivers park too close. between the hip and the knee it's really quite a challenge.
There are even those that park in handicapped spaces and don't have the plates or placard. Others will park too close to the handicap spot and the person in the handicapped spot can't get in or out of the car. These are some of my pet peeves.
 
Glad you're feeling good these days, FS. I hope the treatment you're engaging in continues to bring you relief.
The gadget above that, alex_mom shared may be something you'll view as useful when you find yourself in a squeeze, pun intended. :wink:

Hopefully you're able to get a firm diagnosis for your husband and a treatment plan soon. It is great news to read that he seems to be doing better and is working on household projects. Best wishes with your total body skin examination in ten days. I hope you receive good news.

Thanks for getting your thoughts down, FS. Sometimes journaling can be helpful in itself. Your feelings matter and it's great you feel comfortable sharing them here. We're here to listen and support you whenever you're in need.
I hope this week is a good one for you. :friends:
@FleuveStone
 
the hardest thing lately is trying to get out of the car when neighbouring drivers park too close. between the hip and the knee it's really quite a challenge. fortunately it doesn't happen too often.
That can be very challenging, even when our joints are healthy.

When I had my TKR this year, a friend loaned me her car door handle assistant gadget, below is the one I bought but there are others...which was very(!) helpful until I had better ROM getting into and out of the car. When I returned hers to my friend, I ordered one to have for the next surgery and it lives in my car.

IMG_0073.webp
well that's intriguing, @alex_mom! i can't quite fathom it from the pics but will look into it, thank you!
 
1783980017693.webp

Check out the bottom right image and see if it helps. There are also videos I believe if you look it up on Amazon.
 
It looks helpful.
For me just now it’s about how wide I can open the door, I have 90’ flexion and it’s the left leg, an automatic car, and we sit on the right in the Uk. I hope the above helps you. I’m waiting til next week to try driving. I’m cleared and safe, it’s just the entry/exit that’s tricky.
 
it took me to eight weeks to start driving short distances... and very tentatively at that!
Me, too. My doctor released me to drive at 7 weeks, but I still wasn't secure enough to do so. On that 8th week, I got a friend to drive me to an empty car lot and practiced panic stopping. After I was satisfied with my abilities to do so, I drove us back home. I first solo trip definitely had a new sense of freedom! It was my 9th week when I finally did that.
 
:wave:Happy Five Month Anniversary!
I miss seeing your posts on the forum, FS. I hope you and hubby are both doing well, staying cool and enjoying the Summer. It's slowly slipping away. Given the heat, it's okay with me, I'm longing for some Autumn weather. Hope to read and update from you, hear about your progress and what you've been up to with that new knee.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@FleuveStone
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom