Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

Back to work tomorrow at 4 weeks to the day post-surgery.I have spent more time recently on this forum than ever before, but I suspect that will change. 2nd PT session today: Improved to 116 flexion. Extension not measured, but I'm not straight yet. Still well ahead of TKR #1 as I did 30 mt. elliptical sessions the two previous days. I expect progress to slow somewhat with the return to work, but will rest as much as possible each day.
 
5 weeks (plus one day). ...getting back to work last week may have slowed my recovery a bit, but I'm still doing well this time around. Flexion is closing in on 120 (couple degrees short this a.m. at PT, but our focus has been extension). My extension has been slower, but got straighter today (no measuring, and I have a bit to get to straight). My PT's name is Dave. I call going PT: "Fifty Shades of Dave." He does cause a bit of pain, but it's good pain and at just the right balance. By the way, I didn't read that book referenced, but I heard about it. I'm not getting to the gym as much, but I did hit 40 mts on the elliptical a few days ago. I'll get back on track soon and will start cycling outdoors this weekend.
 
Hey Trailspud,
Thank you so much for chronicling your recoveries. All of you on this board are my inspiration to work hard, be patient( not sure how that's going to work), let my soon to be new knee tell me what it wants to do and also to tell myself it's fine just to rest after working it.

I have been very excited to see how your Conformis knee has been doing since I am having that very same implant. Are you driving yourself yet? I mean your only four weeks out right? Seems you are way ahead of schedule in all aspects. Can't wait to get mine done and over with! All I can say is AWESOME job on both of your TKR's! :egypdance:
 
Actually now 5 weeks. I started driving at 2 weeks this time...as soon I switched from Percocet to something lighter. I drove at just under 3 weeks the first time...both pretty quick, but once I was taking longer between pain meds...I was safe.

Do be patient as it is still a tough recovery. I could do more now than I am, but it is better just to chill for awhile and suffer no major set backs due to overs enthusiasm or stubbornness.

Again, best wishes.
 
6 weeks: Not a good or fun week. However, the issue was not directly due to my LTKR. A week ago I noticed a pain, and I will skip the specifics, but after a minor surgery, a night in the hospital, and a few days of recovery I'm feeling better. I had an abscess that needed to be drained. The doc knowing I had knee replacements, including a recent one, thought IV antibiotics to start were needed to make sure the infection did not spread to the implants. He left a drain tube in following surgery for three days and I can't tell you how glad I was to finally get it out.

My knees are okay, but a little puffier and stiff. One of the antibiotics I am on has some negative side effects on connective tissue (warning of possible spontaneous tendon rupture). I don't like being on it, but another few days of safety against implant infection, even a small risk, is worth it. After a few days off the bike, I'm back on and my bend is about the same now. Walking is stiff and labored, but I'm sure I'll bounce back in a few days.

This has been a wake up call to make sure in the future I identify any infections which pose the possibility of getting into the bloodstream and spreading.
 
OW!

Glad you are doing better! :yay:
 
UGH! Trailspud, that for lack of a better word just sucks! So happy you are on the mend and got the drains out. I hate the drains. Stay strong and heal. :bicycle1:
 
Late hematogenous infections (spread via bloodstream) of TKRs are not common, even at just 5 weeks, but they are possible and that's just a place you don't want to go. 1ELISEA & MuddyP you inferred well. I was trying to spare folks with details while making the main point. Off to work...very stiff, but only 5 more days of Levaquin (antibiotic) left.
 
Levaquin, you say - That is wicked stuff. I was on it a few weeks ago for a seriouw UTI - it made me very ill, and I just wanted to crawl out of my skin. Is that the one that can cause ruptured tendons? I have been have problems with stiffness, swelling, and tight muscles since about a week after being on Levaquin. I was also on amoxicillin.

Hope you're feeling better every day, and I know from experience you will feel better when you are off the Levaquin. Keep us posted.
 
Yes, it is the antibiotic that can cause spontaneous rupture tendons (usually over 60). A colleague's dad ruptured his Achilles swimming while on Levaquin. My sister, a nurse, had a knee blow up w/swelling while on it. 10 days ago I did 40 mts on the elliptical at 80-85% of old base work rate. Now, I'm hobbled, but you are right...it will be better once off the Rx. I'm just taking it easy until then. It will all come back and progress.
 
Thank you Trailspud. I actually did this the last day I was on Levaquin, which was four weeks ago. I was supposed to take it for another five days, but switched to amoxicillin (I had been prescribed both because I also had a bit of pneumonia.) It's good to have a plausible reason for this to happen when I was doing so well - I had taken Levaquin years ago with no side effects (this was for a UTI after lumbar fusion) so far as I know, so I didn't look at the possible side effects as I usually do. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. It is better, however, than having an infection go into the knee or even sepsis. Thanks again. I am so relieved to know what caused this and that I can recover quickly from this little glitch.
 
Turtle,

I just scanned your thread and it appears that what you mentioned above is a swollen knee (while on Levaquin) that occurred recently. I hope it is better now. Levaquin has some drug interactions that increase its nasty side effects. My sister was prescribed prednisone at the same time and corticosteroids are one (increase tendon issues). She attributes the knee effusion to the Rx combo (mostly the Levaquin). Sis is in her early 60s w/knees as bad as mine were pre-TKR.
 
Adding my voice about Levaquin. Received it via an IV once, and in 5 minutes I was wickedly itching head to toe. Thankfully I had a wonderfully fantastic nurse who stepped in immediately and did everything she could to help me.
 
Thankfully only 4 or 5 days left of the 1*daily dose. At least I got in a workout tonight...1st in 9 days. No problems (so far).
 
About 7.5 weeks out from LTKR: I was doing great for 5 weeks, but an infection elsewhere and a long course of antibiotics, including that nasty Levaquin, set me back in a few ways. I did do 60 mts on the elliptical last evening at 85+% normal work rate w/o problems (no pain on this cardio machine). However, despite feeling looser and better off the recent antibiotic, I have more pain now than a few weeks earlier. It may mostly be the IT band, but it hurts throughout the day and bothers when walking. So, it's a balancing act to rest and avoid activities that hurt. The limited range of motion needed for the elliptical probably is why that activity feels okay, but I just tuned up my bike and really want to get started cycling. Bending is going well, but extension is still going slow.
 
Hey there..just reading your thread, and I wanted to say that you sound like you're doing well, but as a fellow athletic type, I want to caution you about doing too much too soon,even if you feel up to it. Fatigue from too much exercise can make you very susceptible to infections, or viruses, which as you already know, set a person back plenty. Your body need rest more than it needs any other thing in the world right now, even PT or exercise! I promise you will lose very little conditioning or strength from your time out. I've been a bodybuilder and general fitness enthusiast for 25 years..2 weeks after RTKR I was back doing a Barre/Pilates workout, but only every 4 or 5 days. I was fine though. The operated leg is taking some time to grow in size again..I just got back from working my quad at the gym in fact, but muscle memory is a grand thing! And now? nap time!
Good luck to you!
 
trailspud I know exactly what yoy mean. I'm still suffering from the effects of the quad and groin strain I suffered while still on the Levaquin. It has also affected my hamstring. I went to the OS and he suggested leg extensions while lying down with a pillow under my thigh. He also said just to ignore it, and eventually it would go away. Is your range of motion limited from this? Mine is so tight and stiff and when I get up from sitting my leg feels like the weight of the world is on it. I don't have any problem with extension, just certain movements like getting in and out of car, and was unable to drive until a couple of days ago. How do you know for sure it's an IT band issue, I looked that up, and since I have no compresion of anatomy, from what I could tell, that's not my problem. I have tried getting on my recumbent bike but that seems to exacerbate the problem. One thing for sure, I will never take Levaquin again. Keep me posted on whatever you find that works. My GP put me on valium for sleep and so far, that has helped more than anything since valium is an excellent muscle relaxer. (It's also helping me from worrying about every little thing.)
 
The pain is lateral over a decent sized area around the joint line. I'll need someone to diagnose to know for sure, but it seems likely the IT band became and remains irritated. I felt 100 years old while on the Levaquin. My right knee, too stiffened up w/ a bit of pain. My feet and ankles hurt. I could not walk normally...just hobbled. Once off that Rx, I got better starting around 48 hours and each day since I am a little better...except the lateral pain in my recently replaced left knee. I'm sure we will both get better in due time. I probably should rest today, but I just got my bike from the shop today w/new tires and all tuned up...so I may see an hour spin feels.

Best wishes to you, Turtle.
 
Hey there..just reading your thread, and I wanted to say that you sound like you're doing well, but as a fellow athletic type, I want to caution you about doing too much too soon,even if you feel up to it. Fatigue from too much exercise can make you very susceptible to infections, or viruses, which as you already know, set a person back plenty. Your body need rest more than it needs any other thing in the world right now, even PT or exercise! I promise you will lose very little conditioning or strength from your time out. I've been a bodybuilder and general fitness enthusiast for 25 years..2 weeks after RTKR I was back doing a Barre/Pilates workout, but only every 4 or 5 days. I was fine though. The operated leg is taking some time to grow in size again..I just got back from working my quad at the gym in fact, but muscle memory is a grand thing! And now? nap time!
Good luck to you!

Good advice and my best to you, Ms.fixit. I'll have to look at your recovery thread. It is so darn nice out right now (sunny, light breeze and high 70s)...I think I'll take my newly revamped bike out, but I won't overdo (I promise), and I will rest a lot, too. Again, best wishes on you recovery.

Follow up: I did a 90 mt spin...didn't push and the knee felt fine during. Perfect sunny 77 degrees w/light winds... so nice to move through space and time outside.
 
Good to hear trailspud that you are out and about moving through the time and space continuum!

It's pouring here, my biking is limited to inside, sigh, can't even be outside breaking in my hiking boots.

Well, I cooould be doing that but there's that eucky weather outside, I'd get all wet! [as she looks for smilie showing drenched person] :loll:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom