Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

trailspud pdx, I am from the NW too. I grew up in PDX and still visit several time each year with family. In the summers we always took vacations in Sun Valley, Idaho. I have relatives all over Idaho as well. I love that part of the country but when I hear you both talk about winter, it makes me glad that I am south Texas now...winter? What winter? Your part of the country is so beautiful, I know how much you enjoy getting outside when you have the chance. btw, I ran the PDX Marathon twice...they say it is flat and fast but I take exception with that! When you live in Texas...you know flat, and PDX is not flat!
 
42K,

Portland is a great city. My old running partner (from LaGrande in Eastern Oregon's Blue Mountains) has a 30+ year streak going in the Portland Marathon. He has slowed a lot with the years and miles, but still shuffles along each year.

In my running years, I loved winter. I loved running in snow and the occasional below zero weather. Now, even with the mild valley winters of SW Idaho in this climate change era, I look forward to the warm/hot weather months. I have become my father. This warm Easter weather won't last, but from here on out, most weeks have some nice days. Next winter, I hope to get back to snowshoeing. Other than running in the mountains, snowshoeing was my favorite mountain activity. After a few hours of slogging up and down through deep snow, you feel just like you do after a long run. Also, snowshoeing is different than hiking/walking. The main force is a "pulling up" out of the snow rather than "pushing off". The knee/implants are unloaded during this motion. Hoping 2013-14 gets me back to loving winter again.
 
3 days out from LTKR...got out of the hospital this afternoon. Surgery went well according to my docs and my sales rep friend who had a friend/contact there as well. My left knee looks and feels better than my RTKR at the comparable and very, very early stage. Surgery once again triggered a gout flare up so I have fair amount of pain, but its in my left ankle and foot rather than knee. I am getting around well. My wife just walked into the door after a 3rd trip to various pharmacies to fill prescriptions...first two were out of the short-term pain meds, but we're set for the evening. Nice sunny 60 degree afternoon looking at the snow-capped Wasatch Front. Back to bed and watching some of the Masters' 2nd round...if I can stay awake.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
[Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread


Everything sounds great, Trailspud. Sorry 'bout the gout. Just follow that mantra and all will be well.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Trailspud Recovery thread
 
Thanks. It is nice to be out of the hospital. Just got back from another brief walk to the outdoors. Mid-60s and sunny is the forecast for Saturday, but cool weather, wind, and rain afterwards. The hospital was busy today so it took awhile to get discharged. Time for rest and recovery now along with checking out this forum when lucid.
 
Day 4 and my knee and energy level is much better than 1st TKR. This is almost like a vacation. No work. No kids. And I am posting from my first smartphone. My wife needed a new phone so we bought a couple iPhones today. Something to do while I recover
 
Hi Trailspud, it's great that your having a good recovery!
My hubby drinks pomegranate juice & cherry juice when he gets a gout flare up. Never had it myself, but from the way he is it looks very painful! :yikes:
Hope it goes away soon & you have a restful uneventful recovery!
:puppysmooze:
 
I drank cherry juice before but not in the hospital. I am back on it. I have had small bouts before but just a little joint pain. This is a full blown bout of gout to rhyme. Painful and swollen and worse than my knee. I am on a separate med for it so hopefully I am past it soon
 
Never had it myself, thank God, but I've dealt with a number of patients who have and it is horrible!
 
Yes it is horrible. Thankfully the swelling is down a bit this morning (day 5). I can now put a little weight on my left foot/leg. I noticed the gout pain early on day 2 and the PA put in an order but I waited almost 24 hours because I did not get the large swelling initially. Mistake as the med is more effective if started when symptoms emerged. No more knees to replace so I hope I never have a major bout again.
 
Ouch, sounds painful.
No more knees to replace must sound good about now!

Must be doing pretty well if you are already walking around outdoors and out buying new iPhones! :thumb:
 
iPhone is a new toy for me...helping pass the time. I waited a long time to go the smartphone route. Woke up around 2 am and spent 30 mts checking out reports of the Boise State spring football game. My wife says she may need to restrict my use like a kid. :)
 
I drank cherry juice before but not in the hospital. I am back on it. I have had small bouts before but just a little joint pain. This is a full blown bout of gout to rhyme. Painful and swollen and worse than my knee. I am on a separate med for it so hopefully I am past it soon

I drank organic 'TART Cherry Juice' quite a bit after my surgery. Not for gout but it helps with inflammation. If any of you have not heard of this then just google it. Just 10 ounces a day is the optimal amount and it really is quite good. A cherry blend or sugary cherry juice is not the same, it needs to be unsweetened tart cherry juice!
 
I do about that 10 oz amount of tart cherry juice. I usually drink a little a few times a day followed by water. The tart taste is strong but good. However, I still like a water back.
 
Saw Dr. Kimball this morning. I had my Boise State gear on in his BYU land office. X- rays looked great. He drained a fair amount of blood from my left knee, but after that I was released to head back home. Fresh snow on the magnificent Wasatch Front as we head north towards Idaho. I'm just chillin' in the third row seat. My wife has taken great care me the past 6 days since surgery. Now she is driving us home...an hour into the six hour drive home. Feeling very lucky and blessed for everything.
 
One week: Less energy today after the long drive home. My gout is better and much less painful. We took a chance yesterday and my doc drained a lot of blood from the lateral side of my knee (would have waited a week or longer but I would not be back). Most of the blood/fluid has refilled the lateral pockets. I now have a fair amount of pain in my knee and calf, but its all good. Pain meds, ice, rest, CPM, a little walker walking, and more Rx keeps things tolerable.
 
10 days out from LTKR. Energy is good and feeling pretty good except lots of pain. That nasty gout is mostly resolved and my left foot and ankle are no longer in the really swollen mode. I do have a moderately sized non-draining hematoma on the lateral side of my left knee (area of old lateral release commonly took on swelling over the years). I think a lot of the pain is due to the pressure on the angry bones and soft tissues. My doc drained it 6 days out, but not unexpectedly, it refilled. It is not worsening so I think it will resolve itself in time, but in the meantime I guess I will have to keep the pain meds going (which I always try to go on the lighter side).
 
Must be good to have that gout almost gone!! :thumb:
 
Geepers you sure do keep a good attitude! Is it possible you are still bleeding??? Okay I complain about my drive, but 6 hours wow thats long and all the time you have to wear your TED hose? Do you think it's possible the clamp they put on your foot in surgery caused the gout flare up? I remember at first that sometimes my ankle (I know its your toe not ankle!) hurt more than my knee at first.
So you went to doc 6 days post op, was that because of the hematoma? When do you go again?
Congrats on the iPhone! That's all I ever had since they came out. Until March when I needed a new one and a very large slim android caught my eye. Best camera phone..love it. But do miss my iPhone a lot. You will love it. You don't need directions, it just works intuitively.
I hope you continue to heal. You are really doing great and have such a positive attitude! Kudos to Trails!
 
Trails I looked up Dr. Kimball. Wow he is really keeping up with new techniques. I am anxious to hear you compare your knees, whether the conformis is smoother than the Zimmer.
I hope you all have a great day!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom