TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

I am, of course, curious to compare knees when I recover. The RTKR (Zimmer) is smooth as silk. Before my 4/9, LTKR I was setting a few personal records on two cardio machines at my gym. My right knee was definitely stronger at 7 months post-op than my now replaced left one.

My right knee does have a larger "semi-numb" area than I would like and it was swelling some with lots of standing or multiple days of consecutive workouts. It is still early. I am also hoping to lose another 30 lbs. to help out the bionics a bit.

I must say that Dr Kimball is quite the man. He is high volume and as the BYU team surgeon even more busy. He is not a doc that you can spend a ton of time with, but his staff and organization is very professional. His PA is solid and very accessible. All in all a very efficient team. Dr Kimball is a caring person...very sweet at times, but as mentioned his time is limited. I was initially hesitant that a Mormon doc in his sixties was a cutting edge surgeon, but such is the case. His website has the most detailed surgical information for patients that I have seen anywhere. I will visit this summer and try to wrangle some free tickets to the Boise State - BYU football game next fall (Friday eve in late Oct. on ESPN).
 
Very interesting. Maybe my Zimmer will start to relax soon. The snapping is uncomfortable. No one else can hear it but me which probably means there is no actual noise! I thought the same thing when I read Dr. Kimballs website. I think it is so great that he is cutting edge/keeping up with techniques. And I like all that information and don't care for doctors who don't want to explain the details.
It will be so interesting to see how your knees compare down the line.
M
 
I do think information is helpful to most patients. I printed out the post-op stuff for my wife to help her help me. My sister, a nurse, was with me for my first TKR...didn't need it, but there is a lot of important information that is nice to have well before the surgery so a layperson can absorb it.

One thing I was concerned about Conformis was its newness. I know one of our top locals has been hesitant to start using Conformis due in part to this...may have gotten burned on the metal-metal hips some years back (it was supposed to be the thing). I asked Dr Kimball about the newness factor. He replied that it really isn't a new product except for the individualized shaping and sizing. The materials and methods of fixation are longtime industry standards. However, he thinks the benefits of the customized implant are real and I should have a better feel, easier movement, and longer wear. I'll know about the first two soon, and hopefully not the last one for a long, long time.
 
I know one of our top locals has been hesitant to start using Conformis due in part to this...may have gotten burned on the metal-metal hips some years back. I asked Dr Kimball about the newness factor. He replied that it really isn't a new product except for the individualized shaping and sizing. The materials and methods of fixation are longtime industry standards.
And he is quite correct! Most 'new' devices are simply reruns of old ones. And the MoM never seemed to cross the divide into knees. It's probably because the MoM issue arises from the bearings of the ball and socket joint which isn't applicable in the knee.
 
Hello!

Wow, finally read your thread, and find out you have already moved on to knee replacement number 2! Impressive! :happydance:
 
(Re: Josephine) That it seems, is how most mechanical engineered product evolution occurs...knee implants or open-wheeled race cars or anything else. True revolutionary products are far more rare.

I am still, as a previous poster inquired, curious to compare knees. As I have previously postulated, I think my left knee will eventually function at a higher level than my right knee. It will be difficult, in this anecdotal case, to assign levels of success to particular implants as my right knee was in far worse shape pre-TKR. My doc and his PA both told me I should see an even better result due to my less knackered left knee. I hope their prediction comes true.
 
RestAssured, I am doing well at 12 days out. I'm mostly over the post-surgery gout (very painful), have a lot more energy than last time, but my knee hurts more due to a small nondraining hematoma on the lateral side...I can feel the extra pressure causing pain. Each recovery is unique as you well know. I did get on the bike earlier today...seat up high and hitching a bit, but I can make the rotation...well ahead of TKR#1. I am done with the blood thinning med so I hope the hematoma begins to resolve quicker. I am off the morphine in the morning so I may go to the gym on Tuesday for some cardio on the arm cycle. In the meantime, I have some light weights and a dumbbell bench...can't do much...not a big muscle guy...but it helps mentally just to do something.
 
You are right. It does help mentally to do something! After the revision of my right knee, in the rehab center, I referred to the fact that I was progressing as a very fast pace and feeling great! Please don't fall into the same overconfidence trap that I did. You are definitely doing well, but as you know, this isn't a sprint right now at 12 days out. Take care of yourself when you go to the gym and pay particular attention to how fatigued you are getting. Remember your knee will thank you for it! :happydance:
 
I'm mostly over the post-surgery gout (very painful), have a lot more energy than last time,

Good to hear, trailspud. That gout sounded nasty.
My theory on why the second knee does better, is that we do the worst first. The second isn't in as bad a shape and seems to go better. Plus, by then you know the routine. What do you think?

Of course, I've only had one done, and will keep it that way for awhile. I took a chance having a TKR with my horrid allergies, and I want to give it a few years to ensure I don't have any reactions. My left knee is doing better, anyway, now that it doesn't bear so much of the brunt from my right knee which was in awful shape.

Keep on with the great healing!
 
Good to hear, trailspud. That gout sounded nasty.
My theory on why the second knee does better, is that we do the worst first. The second isn't in as bad a shape and seems to go better. Plus, by then you know the routine. What do you think?

Probably a lot of truth to that and logical as well. At my 2nd of 5 consults, last April (2012), the doc said not to wait too long on my right knee...he was right. It was at 20 degrees extension and between 90-100 flex. I could no longer walk briskly on flat ground and almost had to crawl down slopes or stairs. My left knee held up on a 7 mile brisk hike in the hills just 12 days before the LTKR so this 2nd one is way different. Still hurts, but I do think I will come back quicker and stronger. Looking forward to hiking longer and faster by sometime next fall.
 
I'm sure you will be hiking by next fall! You have that determination and drive to be successful and reach your goals!:)
 
TWO Weeks Today: Finally making some progress. I got on the bike this morning and was able to make normal revolutions. Slow for 150 revs. I have the seat one peg higher than normal, and I am using the mid-rear part of my left foot, so I am not bending as much as a completely normal cycle, but no more hitching my hip. I feel like now things will get better at a quicker pace. Just the light, slow revolutions the previous two days have taken most of a wicked soreness from my calf.

Back to icing and watching way too much cable news and business info.
 
First trip to the gym: I am back home resting, icing, using the CPM (easy bend and slow), and feeling more normal than since before my LTKR. I drove to the gym this morning for a little exercise. I got on the bike at home earlier and my knee was bending a little easier, and the calf pain while walking was better so I thought it was time to get out. I didn't do much, but got in some cardio on the seated arm cycle (33 mts mostly easy/moderate w/a little push latter part). After the arm cycle...just a few upper body/core machines then home. I'm now going 7-8 hrs between pain meds so timing the driving is pretty easy.
 
Trails I looked up Dr. Kimball. Wow he is really keeping up with new techniques. I am anxious to hear you compare your knees, whether the conformis is smoother than the Zimmer.
I hope you all have a great day!

Brownie, hope you are closer to your 2nd TKR OS decision. I will write about this is greater detail later after a longer time frame, but a comparison of my two TKR's to date:

At 18 days, my left knee has very, very little swelling. I am rather amazed. There is no comparison between my 1st and this one. I had an edema after surgery, but once off blood thinning Rx, it went quickly away. My knee is bending well enough to cycle normally albeit slowly. I have not gone to PT yet nor done any pushing of ROM on my own, but I think I am near 110 flexion...way ahead of TKR # 1. My scar is already smaller than #1. Pain is closer to #1, but that is harder to compare. It is still a TKR.

I have no doubt that the fact the Conformis implant surgery disturbs far less soft tissue, and resects less bone, helps speed the recovery. Mine, although early so far, is mirroring others' anecdotal experiences as well as the predictions of my surgeon, PA, and veteran sales rep friend. How this implant compares in function to the other will be determined, in my specific case, over time. #2 is very smooth, like #1, when cycling, but I will need to recover awhile before comparing during physical activities.
 
Hi Trail
I just sent off a private msg so didn't realize you'd written the above update. I'm so glad you are doing so well! See the doctors say that in the long run, there is no functional difference in the outcome between procedures but when YOU are the patient is a huge difference in the pain/recovery etc.
You are doing super! Going to the gym wow. You and CAthy Lynn are animals! ha! That is great using the other equipment for upper body!
Are you going to out patient PT?
Do you feel a soft clunk in your Zimmer at all when bending? It's not a big deal when bicycling, not a dramatic thing at all.
Have a great evening! I dont' know whether to call you Trail or Spud! ha!
 
Brownie,

I think the "soft clunk" you feel with your implant is just unique to your surgery, recovery, and anatomy. I don't think it is particular to Zimmer implants (of which there a number of different ones).

I hit the gym again today and finished with 15mts on the elliptical...no problems so far. I just did the bike and my bend is as good as before so hopefully no swelling and I can gradually build up.

If anyone analyzes this forum they will see there is a great range of outcomes and recoveries. Surgical technique which stems from different technologies certainly is a factor even if surgical proficiency remains preeminent.
 
Do you feel a soft clunk in your Zimmer at all when bending? It's not a big deal when bicycling, not a dramatic thing at all.
Clunking is frequently referred to on this forum and trailspud is correct when he says it's a common element of this surgery. Reason being that your nice soft, shock absorbing cartilage has been replaced with metal and very hard plastic! Tap a spoon on your kitchen table and you may find a somewhat similar effect! Eventually the soft tissues will tighten up so it is less likely to be so noticeable and/or you will either become acclimatised to it and be able to ignore it. Either way, it's not a sign of a problem.
 
THREE WEEKS:
I am definitely ahead of recovery pace compared to TKR #1. Very little swelling left although it increases some during the day. Flexion estimated around 110 (will start PT in a few days). I'm maxing out the CPM and doing light, easy stationary biking a few times each day (5-10+ mts at a time). Energy level is better this time. I just got home from the gym...keeping the workouts to an hour or less. Today no elliptical, but I did 20 mts yesterday. I found out last time it's better just to do every 2-3 days. I have transitioned to a cane pretty well, but do have some extra lateral pain at times. All in all pleased, but there is a long ways left to complete healing.
 
1st PT session today...just stretching, bending, and straightening. Easy 110 flex puts me a little ahead of last time. Did work the elliptical the two previous days so will take a day or two off before next session to see if a little more rest helps the bending. Hardly any swelling, but some soft tissue is still tender.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom