Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tough Going <

Wow! So he has nothing better to do? I can't believe that he would ever say something like that!! I think you have to ask yourself how you are doing. I had a PT manipulate my knee to 'break up adhesions' ( his words). It did seem to help my ROM but I paid for that in the long run with increased pain and swelling which led to...decreased ROM!! :headbang: I went back to see my surgeon 2 weeks ago because I felt my ROM decreased and I had more pain. He immediately did a new set of X-rays first, examined the knee and ordered me to stop PT. I feel much better after stopping PT. I would definitely have a talk with your therapist and I would go back to your doctor. Tell them what YOU want to do.:no-fin:
 
OK, I'm really upset with myself for letting my PT work me over yesterday after I got the scare talk from my OS. My knee is super stiff and sore today because I over did it, and I am physically and emotionally exhausted.

Please, somebody help me off this merry go round\rollercoaster of nonsense! I need the voice of reason!

I need to make a decision about continuing outpatient PT.

@Josephine you mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but I was unclear about how long.

I think I should stop it and only do exercises at home. I need to know what is reasonable and helpful and based in medical evidence.

Am I just being a ridiculous control freak by not having this MUA? Because that is what I think the P Therapist and OS seem to think. They think I'm not trying hard enough! Why else would my OS think that I would need to see these photos that he would snap of my knee in full range of motion? There are a lot of things a body can be coaxed to do with it is under deep sedation! That doesn't make them legitimate!

My gut is telling me I don't need it. My gut is telling me to call the whole shooting match off and recover my way.
 
I personally know someone who had an MUA and it really helped her, but she was almost 12 weeks post op, and of course certain Bonesmart members have undergone the procedure with a good outcome. Then there are others who've had THREE MUAs (months apart) on the same knee, with no overall improvement in ROM. Some surgeons won't do a late MUA, like later than 4 or 5 months post op, while others are more lenient. When you see your OS again, ask him what is the latest he will consider doing MUA. That will give you more time to decide and possibly gain ROM on your own.

After my first TKR I was also "borderline" at six weeks. It was slow-going, but I eventually attained good functional ROM on my own- enough for horseback-riding, cycling, etc. Bottom line, this is your body and your decision.
 
I had flexion of 115 @ 3 weeks. Worked 6 days last week & had 110 Monday morning at PT after achieving 128 the previous Thursday.

So overdoing it does extend our recoveries. I vote go with your gut.
 
My gut is telling me I don't need it. My gut is telling me to call the whole shooting match off and recover my way.
Your gut is very wise! Listen to it.

But what is your ROM right now? I couldn't find any recent mention of that.

As for how much you should cut back and so forth, I'd say completely! I'm no fan of PT or exercises because mostly people over-do things and just make the swelling and pain worse, as you have found. In my opinion, what happens is this: (and I think you have already worked this out for yourself) More exercise and aggressive exercise just causes more swelling and pain. This makes the leg hard and unable to to bend. Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?. Stopping the activity and allowing the swelling to go down - and thus the pain - permits better flexion and extension. No doubt about it as I proved with my two recoveries. Mostly it was surgeon's instructions not to do any exercising but I did really well with it. I also know my surgeon does hardly any MUAs at all. It must mean something!
 
OK, this was my day (before I read @Josephine's thouhtful reply....I called the manager of my PT place and requested another therapist who I have worked with once or twice, who was much more gentle and encouraging. I told them that I did not feel respected by my current therapist and that I felt like he was too aggressive and that I always left is presence feeling like he did not believe that I was giving it my best. In addition, he has also been giving my surgeon that impression in his notes. The last time I saw him, (Monday) I left in tears, had awful swelling the next day and really just ferlt that everyone wanted to blame me for my slow recovery.
Today, I got the good therapist who respects my boundaries. I walked in with my cane. She said "Well look at you! You're doing great!"
I then sat down to the recumbent bike, just to rock back and forth to warm the knee up a little. I started telling the nice PT about all of my conflicts and concerns. I was making full rotations, both backward and forward, which I have not been able to do in weeks! Then, I felt a pop and some searing pain and I yelped but the pain left as soon as it came. I said "Becky! I think I just broke through some scar tissue!" She said , "That's just what I was thinking. Let's go measure your ROM." I could feel an immediate change in my knee as I walked to the table. Guess what? Monday I was 75. Today I was 88!
I am so happy! Becky said, "You should just tell your doc you are doing your own manipulation." We laughed. I'm now home icing and resting and thanking God for a great day.
 
MimiMimi,
Wonderful news, doing it your way is the best way. Glad you have a gentle, kind, therapist that listens and respects you.
 
Great story. Good for you for sticking up for yourself.
 
That's good news @MimiMimi! Slow and steady does it. Happy to hear you requested and got a therapist that is a better fit for you!!
 
Yay! Riding that bike is fantastic! I'm so glad you're feeling better and have a kind PT. You know your body and what it needs.
 
Great! You seem to be on your way now!
 
Thanks, I sure hope so ! I am icing, elevating and resting today. Knee is definitely sore but looser. Back at it with the nice therapist tomorrow !
 
Yay? I'm 92 degrees! ( it's a subjective measurement, I know). When might I hope to expect to not walk like a drunken Frankenstein? I'm trying to pay attention to my gait, but I'm just so stiff. I wonder if the psoriatic arthritis is playing a part, because my Achilles tendons are so sore, puffy and tight. I guess this is my new normal. It's been 7 weeks today.
 
Good on your improved flexion! I'm about a week behind you and can't get my gait right, either. Now that my incision is completely healed I might do some aquatic therapy.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom