Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

I have a question. Above my knee I have a spot where there is pain. I guess it's the bottom of my quad muscle. It has a little knot also. It's very painful to touch. I also have pain on outside of my knee partially down onto my lower leg. I'm getting some ice because I do have some swelling but this pain never seems to go away. I remember when I started outpatient PT I had to keep jumping up off the table while he was doing eval. He wasn't even touching me. It didn't help I wasn't taking pain meds. I was just a mess. Does anyone still have pain down the outside of their shin also? This is driving me nuts. I guess I'm just feeling a little down right now. That good old roller coaster ride again for me! I'm grabbing one of my dogs for a hug. :puppysmooze:
 
Yes, that darned pin-point pain on the outside part of my lower leg! It is somewhat better but still there. My PT does some trigger point massage which seems to help. And when I'm sitting around a lot of times I will sit there and dig my thumb into the one place that hurts the most.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I popped in at my OS's office this am to discuss swelling. His PA said it will keep swelling for 6 mon to a year. It is what it is. She also said I was probably doing too much. ( In my mind's eye I could see @Josephine wagging her finger at me! ) I hope your swelling is better!
 
O no!! Up to a year!! I guess I'll have to get used to it. I don't mind the look of it but I also have increased pain in my knee and lower leg.
 
@Josephine I read your article about shin splints and stretches and massage to do to help alleviate the pain. Neither seems to help me much. My knee aches but my lower legs really hurt. I'm not sure what else I can do about it. It actually brought me to tears on occasion. If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate suggestions. Thanks!:chinstroke:
 
Just finishing lunch at work. I will be going to the doctor in a few hours and I'm very nervous what he'll say about my new knee and also what the MRI on my old knee looks like. I'm kind of nervous.
 
singing the theme from Rocky for @newlybionic! "feeling strong now, won't be long now, da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da dum!"
 
Well I'm back home. My bionic knee is okay. He wants to be very careful and I'm going for an ultrasound tomorrow to make sure there isn't a DVT in my leg. There is also a spot on the back of my thigh towards the inside of my leg that is hard so they will check that also. He explained that sometimes a dried pocket of blood can form. I'm not sure what can be done about it or if my body will just slowly absorb it.

My old knee has torn lateral meniscus. He doesn't suggest doing anything right now (I couldn't anyway since I just started a new job). Unlike when this happened with my bionic knee I had arthroscopic surgery.. He said it would just wear down cartilage faster. Right now it's good most of the time but periodically the knee just seems like the bones, etc are all out of sync. So no more PT for me now. ( I'm too tired anyway!) Thanks to all for your positive thoughts!!
 
I had my ultrasound and all I know as of now there is no 'major' problem. So it's either nothing at all to not quite major!:umm:
The tech said my doctor will get the report by the end of 2 business days. I'm sure if I don't hear anything by Friday afternoon there's no problem at all. I usually try my 'I'm a nurse' routine and I get more answers from techs but she wasn't giving in. Unfortunately I can't read ultrasounds at all. Xrays I can to a degree but not this . I'm picking up something to help me sleep tonight. Full nights still seem to be elusive for me. I have work at 7am tomorrow and I still have a few errands now.:tiredwheel:
 
I had 2 arthroscopies on my new knee for torn meniscus before so it's different to hear that I shouldn't do anything right now. As I said I couldn't anyway at this point. I had one done in Jan 2013 from a OS from the same group practice. I'm wondering if they have just changed recommendations within a relatively short period of time. I've already had shots and PT to this old knee. Does that mean I'm already doomed to a knee replacement in my future? I can't even think about going through this again. At least I have this forum now and I have more realistic info than what I had from other sources. I'm closing in on 4 months in a couple of days. I have no idea how some people have been able to get their second knee done in a month or 2 after the first. I'm hoping it's like childbirth. You kind of forget about the pain afterwards until you're going through it again!:heehee:
 
I'm hoping it's like childbirth. You kind of forget about the pain afterwards until you're going through it again!
Dunno about childbirth but I can promise that ultimately you will forget about all the pain and anxiety. I have and I only remember it when I dig out my journals and read them.
 
My neighbor had hers done 4 wks apart and a double masectomy 6 wks later! She makes me look like a real wuss!
In Jan the OS will re-evaluate my old knee (that has had 45 gel injections!) but I'm hoping and praying it will have miraculously improved! As I get farther from this, I can't imagine starting over again! But, as you say, thanks to Bonesmart, we will be better informed and prepared!
 
I know, I have a new found respect for those that have bilaterals or space the two surgeries in a short time frame. My surgeon told me to give it 2 weeks before I decide about my other knee. Been 2 weeks and I don't even want to think of going through this again!!! Now hoping the "bad" knee will hold out a lot longer since it isn't having to work so hard now. Glad to hear no DVT!! Do you still do floor nursing?
 
I just got a new job working in a dialysis center which is a new area for me. I don't have to move patients which is an advantage (it's hard to pick up a 300 pound woman to standing!) I do how ever have to be on my feet a lot. Right now I'm in training so I have some book work to do so I'm sitting part of the day. I'm not looking forward to monday. My hours are 5 am to 4 pm! I'm still not sleeping at night too!! I'll have plenty of ice ready when I get home!!:ice:
 
Long shift...yikes
Good luck on the new job! Know what you mean about the lifting, I used to do orthopedics!
 
Ortho was never my forte. I did cardiac and med/surg. i have a year until early retirement (if I need it) so I just know I only have to last to then. I would love to move somewhere warm like Florida than the ski area in NE PA. We already had a dusting of snow two weeks ago!! :snow dig:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom