Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Hi Marian, So good to hear you're feeling better. Any idea of when you will be able to go home yet ?
 
Hoping things are going well for you! Are you at home and settled in? I know you are ready to ice and elevate! Wonder why this OS says no?? Mine had me on CPM while in hospital just to get it elevated and barely moving.
You'll do GREAT when you can get your schedule worked out! Hugs and prayers!
 
Both were the same 5/325 one or two tabs every 6 hours and then became every four hours. I'll run out of them if I take 2 at a time. Dr's office is 1 hour away.
 
Hi Marion, sounds like you are doing well! It is all behind you now.
Can't believe this early in the game PT is giving you the MUA spiel. Glad you told them to back off...very politely I'm sure!
 
I don't have to see her any longer since she was the inpatient PT assistant. Turns out when they wrote my prescriptions foe home they cut them all by 50%. My OS lives an hour away from me and my daughters. I'm going to get this pain under control first. Then I'll see about cutting back.
 
That's good about the therapist. No ma'm don't cut back on your pain meds! I am surprised Dr cut the dosage after all you have endured and he is well aware of your situation. If I was hurting I definitely would make the hour drive. The FDA/CDC are pushing Dr's hard right now to cut back on pain meds because of all the OD's and deaths of addicts. Makes it difficult for the innocents.
 
I have a new problem that I haven't seen anyone mention before. I had a catheter for the first 24hours. I have no symptoms of an infection. I've already have had 2 episodes of incontinence sine I got home. As soon as I stand up there is no stopping it. I'm wondering since I have my leg elevated finally that might be caused by all the fluid now coming back into circulation. It's very embarrassing. My leg now is huge. It was twice as big as it is now. I've got ice on it and I will continue this until tomorrow morning. I couldn't even find any shoes or sneakers that my foot will fit into it. I can't even lift my own leg up with all the extra weight. It's aching so much right now even though I've taken all my meds. I'll have my daughter help pack me in ice when she's done with her shower.
 
I had a catheter for 24 hours in the hospital. I have no symptoms of an infection at all. Since I have come home I've been incontinent of urine when I stood up. My knee is huge but it was far worse than that while in the hospital because I couldn't elevate it at all. My foot is still so swollen is so swollen that no sneakers , shoes or slippers will fit. I have it packed in ice now for the last few hours. I'm getting a lot of sharp zaps in my knee and also my leg. I'm hoping it will calm done soon. I've set my alarm for my meds tonight and will take the stronger dose for now.
 
I didn't realize you were home. For some reason I slept better in a hospital bed, even though I LOVE my bed. Do you have any pain meds left from July? Hoping you have an easy night!
 
I wasn't incontinent but for about 12 hours I had urgency. Thought I was getting a UTI.
PA told me they were no longer using catheters with patients that have a spinal.
Not sure how I feel about that. I will be up and down all night!
 
Hi Marian - glad you are home! I hope that this time is so much better, first because you have a great surgeon, and second because you know how to manage PT and all the other "situations". I also had some incontinence after surgery although I had no catheter - I had to ask about the catheter at my 6 week checkup, because I was so surprised at what was happening. Perhaps it was due to the anesthesia or the pain meds? Anyway it did go away but it took a few weeks. Distressing but fortunately it turned out to be temporary. I hope it is the same for you. I hope the pain and swelling get better.
 
Hi Marian,
I think that @Jamie had a similar problem with urinary incontinence at first, but it resolved. Let's see what she says.
 
Your new post has been merged with your original recovery thread. Please post all updates, questions and concerns here.

It does seem likely that there is some sort of hopefully temporary disruption to your bladder or urethera. I am sorry your leg is so swollen, but you are doing the right thing--rest, elevation with three pillows and ice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have a spinal for your surgery? If yes, that may still be affecting your bladder or could be your bladder is still waking up after having the catheter. Urethra could be a little stretched. Can you feel when you have to pee? You could try retraining your bladder by going into the bathroom every 1-2 hours to see if you can go. Hopefully it will all come back quickly. To cut down on the embarrassment you could try wearing a Poise pad for now, I need them every time I have a cold lol, the joys of childbirth. Did you notify your MD?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB Unfortunately I don't have any meds from July. I got rid of them when I stopped taking them.

@Glamg1979 I definitely didn't care about getting a catheter because I would have had a hard time making it to the ladies room because my legs were numb until of course in the middle of the night. At first I really had a hard time putting pressure on my leg at all.

I am having a lot of pain down into my shin . It's more than halfway. He told me he had to use a longer piece of metal there to keep the implant in place. It's funny because I had pain in my shin the last time and this just going further down. The swelling is going down and I can attempt to take regular strides when the pain isn't so bad. My quad is painful too. He went over the last incision and it looks like it's exactly the same length. It's funny that it's never really the knee early on that hurt me last time. My OS said that once I get past the surgical pain I'll be feeling much better and I will be able to get around easily. I can't wait for that. I also like not being 'snowed' with the pain meds. I can actually carry on a conversation and watch TV shows. Ok pain is coming back and it's time for more meds. I hope every one is feeling better too.
 
I just had home PT come. She didn't do anything that was painful but just to the point of uncomfortable. I'm at 10 and 80. I'm actually fairly happy about that since it's only been a few days. Before the surgery I was 5 and 90 so I'm already making great strides. Since I keep my leg elevated with ice on it the swelling is going down bit by bit. PT called in PT/INR blood test results while she was here and the OS office called me about 30 minutes after they got them. Coumadin dose was adjusted. Next blood test is monday. The office asks me if I had any questions and I talked to them about not having enough pain meds to cover me. They said they would write new scripts for them but my question is how do I get them to bring to the drug store? Their office is an hour away from me and they close at 430. My friend is afraid to drive on highways due to being in bad accidents so she can't go. My other daughters in the area work in Philadelphia and the other in Delware. I'll just have to figure it out. I drove last time after two weeks. I might have to do that this time too. At least they have valet parking.
 
If you have to drive, Marian, wrap an ice pack around your left leg with an ace bandage. When I was driving back and forth to work I could stick a gel ice pack under my pant legs and it would stay there while I drove.
I'm assuming your driving an automatic. :driver:
 
@newlybionic Can they not electronically send the prescription to the pharmacy? Most offices can these days. That would solve half your problem:) Then you just need someone to pick it up.
 
@KarriB I have an automatic and it's a suv cross over that is exactly the right height for me to get into.

@PegGar16 Most pain meds have to have a paper copy to take it to the drug store even for a refill.

I'm feeling a little sleepy and a bit sleepy so I guess it's time for some sleep. I've been up since 8 this morning.
 
I did have incontinence after my second TKR (not the first, though) that lasted several weeks to some degree. It was as you describe....not much control and related to the use of the anesthetic. I didn't have a general, but still was incontinent. The solution is time so I suggest you just wear some disposable panties (like Depends) until it improves. I assure you that it's just a temporary condition.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom