Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

Wishing you good luck with your new healthcare team!
 
Good news and bad news from the new OS this morning.

The good is the right knee does have several bone spurs and moderate arthritis he was able to give me a cortisone injection which has already helped. No replacement is needed now. :yahoo:

The bad news is that my knee cap is not placed correctly and is off to the side of the knee. The nurse brought up the X-rays they took when I got there and I knew right away there was a problem. The only way to fix the problem is to do it all over again!:beg:

I can't do that right now because I'm new at my job and I have to do some thing to help the quads and IT band first. I'll just use massage. I'll do it myself if I have to.

I was very happy that this doctor took the time to answer my questions. I really liked him. He told me he has seen a number of problems from my former OS in his practice. While anything can go wrong with surgery he sees too many of this doctors problems. I just came straight home and I'm about to sit here and cry. I can't even think about going through all this again. He told me to walk on even ground only if possible and to avoid stairs as much as possible. What a complete mess.

I did fire off a couple of emails to old OS office to a senior partner and billing office for my refund. I'm just so very upset that I could clearly see in the X-ray there was a problem without help but my old OS just told me everything was ok.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wow! no words.
 
OK - a few words. I'm glad you have some explanation for the ongoing pain that you've endured. I'm glad you're in the hands of a seemingly better care team. I hope that your future recovery is swift and smooth. I hope your new job provides the support you need for a full recovery. I hope you continue to have the strength you shown so far. You know so much more now than you did then.

edit: one more thing --> they put a bit of lidocaine in the steroid injection so you feel good right away. Personally, I found it's best to rest the injected knee for a day or so to let the stuff find its mark. YMMV.
 
@hawk2go I came straight home after the injection. All I'm going to do today is pick up some Chinese food later and have a party with my three dogs.
 
Sorry to hear this. But at least you are now getting some answers.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine I posted a few posts back about my problems in my TKR. I have a couple of questions that maybe you can answer or steer me in the right direction. The second OS said I will need a new TKR to fix problems.
1. How can I be sure this is the right doc for me?
2. I still have IT pain and quads and a string problems. Should I try to 'fix' those somehow before I have second surgery?
3. How do I decide when to do it. Is it better to have it sooner or later. I'm not quite six months yet.

Thanks for all your help.
 
Marian, although this was not a good answer, at least you now have an answer as to why you are having so much pain. I am truly sorry. Good for you on demanding your money back! This just infuriates me how doctors can keep your money but demand payment from you. I do hope you have a wonderful New Year and it brings you peace and joy.
 
Oh wow!! Now you have an answer but not what you wanted to hear. After what you have been through I can't blame you one bit for feeling overwhelmed.
First OS must be really sub standard for the new OS to say what he did. Drs. usually band together and are very reluctant to criticize one another :censored:
Right now you are having a hard time processing what you have been told and you have every right to have a big cry. I am so sorry. Give your self some time and you will know when you are ready for another surgery.
Sending (((hugs)))
Gerri
 
@Glamg1979 Part of me is relieved to know that I'm not imagining things. The old OS was making me feel that way. The new one told me he had gotten a heads up about this OS moving into my area and not being any good. He was let go from his original group!! I'm just so frightened to make another mistake choosing a doctor again. I'm not an ortho nurse but the X-rays were so clear that I could see the problem immediately. I have a return appt in 3 months for another cortisone injection in my old knee. I've got to figure out all the questions I have before I go. To top it off I have suffered with major depression for many years and I don't want that to get a hold on me again.
 
Marian,
I'm SO sorry that you have to go through another replacement! I can't even begin to imagine how upset you must be! We all know there is so much more to this than just the surgery & recovery itself. We also have so many practical considerations, as well. How will we pay the bills, get groceries, clean our homes, take care of our children & our pets?
I'm not one to encourage lawsuits but I hope someone will at least report this OS. Obviously this isn't his first problem replacement. I would hate to see other people go through this.
Hugs to you Mirian. Enjoy your evening with your pups! :cheers2:
 
I was very happy that this doctor took the time to answer my questions. I really liked him. He told me he has seen a number of problems from my former OS in his practice. While anything can go wrong with surgery he sees too many of this doctors problems.
The second OS said I will need a new TKR to fix problems.
1. How can I be sure this is the right doc for me?
Your first comment really tells me as much as I need to know that this surgeon will be the right one for you. He said all the right things.
2. I still have IT pain and quads and a string problems. Should I try to 'fix' those somehow before I have second surgery?
Well the only problem with that is that the patellar issue is most likely causing the these pains.
3. How do I decide when to do it. Is it better to have it sooner or later. I'm not quite six months yet.
I'd do it sooner rather than later. Given that it's probably the cause of your pain, delaying it will only make things worse.
 
I'm so sorry to hear this! My BF needs a revision is waiting it out. Do you have the time built up to have it done?
 
Hi Marian,
I'm glad you finally have a OS that is telling you what is going on with your knee. You knew there was something wrong and were not getting any answers from that other office. I think you should think about putting in a complaint with the PA Medical Board, especially if this other doctor has gotten multiple patients that he has had to fix. You old OS has an ongoing problem and could do this to even more people.
The New Year will be better!!
 
Marian, do you still have your x-rays to post a photo of them?
 
I don't have a copy of my X-rays. I just was concentrating on what I needed to do to take care of both knees. Even the X-ray of my old knee clearly showed that there were bone spurs present. That was something else my old doctor dismissed saying it just had a small tear in the cartilage and it shouldn't really be bothering me. I thought that was just crazy since his partner had been giving me injections in both of them for 5 years!! I'll try to get a copy of them and I'll post them if I can.

As far as when I can get it done that is a real problem. I just started a new job Nov 2nd. I really love my job but I'm the new 'kid' on the block. I did sign up for short term disability at 60% which I will be eligible for on Feb 1. Maybe I knew I might have problems so soon after the first one. We don't get sick days just PTO time which we accrue based on how many hours you work. I have about 20 hours right now. I'm in a real quandry. I don't want to lose this job and I also don't want to feel like I'm causing my boss some problems by going out so soon.

Many years ago I had been on permanent disability for another reason and fought my way back. I was able to get my Medicare restored when I was out of work for my TKR. I also now have a supplement which covers what it doesn't. So I have medical coverage that I'm not eligible for yet at work. I'm allowed to keep it for the rest of my life so I'm happy at least with that part. I do need my salary now to catch up with bills because I couldn't work most of 2015. I'm going to have to give this a lot of thought.

I have a 1 week training class starting Jan 25th with an exam I have to pass to keep my job. They do try to help you through it and I hope I'll be able to concentrate. I will be done with my initial training Feb 2nd. The second phase is for another 3 months. After that I'm considered a fully trained RN and will be the only nurse in the building. That makes it May 2nd. Question is can I make it that long.

I'm not sure I can live through this surgery again. My other thought is to just wait until my other one gets so bad it needs to be done and deal with it one more time. I've had other surgeries. One was through my ribs to get to my esophagus and never experienced such pain before. I went home on Bayer aspirin for pain on that one. I actually cracked a femur at age 18 and continued to play college basketball on it. It was seen on X-rays 5 years later when I twisted it and went to a doctor and they saw it on an X-ray. I can take pain but I'm just so very afraid. This surgery has just destroyed me. Sorry guys I guess my depression is kicking in. I guess it's time to call my psychiatrist to keep it under control.

I'm totally finished with 2015. I'm going to look forward to 2016. There's no where to go but up. Thanks to all for your support. No one who hasn't lived through our problems can quite understand them.

Here's to a wonderful New Year! :cheers2:
 
I wonder if some sort of a hinged brace would give you the support you need until you're able to have the surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom