Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

The Supartz inj were given in a series of 5. They could be no less than 5 and no more than 10 days apart.
I threw out a pair of Clarks today that I wore all last winter but made my feet and knee hurt now!!
 
@Thesoutherncook I'll have to check on those injections for my old knee. Make sure you get to a store for new shoes. Take an old pair with you. I saw that on this forum and the woman that was taking care of me wanted to see them. It took about 20 minutes until I even tried on any at all. I'm not exactly sure how to fit regular shoes. I would guess if the running store notices something off you could go to a podiatrist (?) to see if you need some type of orthotics to put in your shoes.
 
I have custom orthotics. They help tremendously. I would like to go to the sports shoe store in Atlanta next week. Not sure how our schedule will work and the crowds!!! Might have to postpone that visit until later! Lol!
 
@Thesoutherncook You might need new orthotics now so I would check with your doctor. Make sure you actually go to a running store and not something like a sneaker store that has 100s of different sneakers. Maybe you could call ahead and make an appointment to be fitted.
 
@KarriB When I go through this again I definitely will choose a different OS. I cannot go through this big mess again!!!
 
I have been thinking about getting new sneakers as well I don't really even have a pair that were really comfy before surgery. My work shoes are pretty comfy but I may have to replace them as well. The funny part is that there was a segment on the news today that said in a year long study that was done they found that really expensive sneakers did not come out on top. But. I will still go to a store that sells high end shoes just because they also have knowledgeable staff and that is almost as important as the new shoes/ sneakers.
 
Hi Newly Bionic, I think your rant was much needed and unfortunately it is such a shame that it is your story to tell. You have had such a rough time of it. Without a doubt get a different OS for your other knee. Being a nurse do you have any contacts that work in the hospital, either the ortho floor, in the OR or even xray? That person could do some research for you and see who is recommended the most by others. My son is a medical sales rep and he polled the OR personnel to see who they would use.

Aren't you thrilled it's the weekend? Rest up and prepare for next week. Do you have to work Thanksgiving?

Sending virtual ((((hugs))))
 
@Glamg1979 The company I work for has the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday. So since I'm in training I can't work that day:happydance:. So I'll be off Thanksgiving day until the Monday afterwards. :dancy: My youngest daughter and I will put up my Christmas tree and decorations on that Saturday. Unfortunately the only hospital where I knew ortho nurses and doctors closed and I now live 3 hours away from the area. I talked with my sister and she has a friend whose mother is going through some of the same horrors with the next closest OS group to my home. I urge her to give the woman the bonesmart forum so she won't be so alone. I think having other people who can know what your talking about and can help you through the rough spots has made the last month much better for me.
 
@My knee Charlie The sneakers I got cost me more than they would online or a big box store because I got them in a small local store. It was their expertise at fitting me that I paid for. After this I could always go online and order the same makes and models if I wanted to in the future. It cost me a little more than 100 a pair but I'm sure it would be around 80 online. A lot of the small shops let you try them for a time period and you can ring that back if you want.
 
@Josephine I have noticed some of the diagrams on some of the other threads. I was able to use that to figure out that the area that is bothering me is the SMT on the back of my leg in my inner thigh. I'm also having pain in another area below the knee on the side of my calf in just one spot. Are they related? The only treatment I saw was NSAIDs, rest, hamstring stretches and ice. I'm I missing anything that I should consider? I've also gotten some sharp quick pains there at rest after a day of work.
 
I had plans to do some errands today and to do some chores I haven't been doing during the week. I didn't sleep very well last night. I've been having pain in, above and behind my knee. I've read through everything that I could find in the library on this forum and actually researched online. I lost the entire day because I'm so tired I just falling asleep and have zero energy to do anything at all. I am really frustrated and don't now what to do. Did I go through all this with the surgery to still be in pain and still be limited in what I can do?
 
With your work schedule, you probably NEED the rest! Maybe your whole body, knee included, will feel better tomorrow after a good rest. Sweet dreams!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought new shoes today too, I love them. I went to a running shoe store and my clerk's mom had just had a TKR so we had a nice connection.

I would see a new OS for your other knee when you are ready. Am glad you are doing better. Your "rant" is probably the result of doing better. I have said it before and I will say it again, this surgery is no picnic. It is a long, painful slog. Just glad I am 4 months out! Went to a party tonight and actually forgot about my knee for a couple of hours.
 
@Wanttobebiking Im glad you were able to get some new shoes. They are helping me a bit. I haven't had the experience of forgetting about my knee yet. I guess it still wants to be the center of attention!!

I've decided to go back to my original ortho doc in the same group. Since he knows my history of never complaining and always declining pain meds in the past he knows that if I'm there I am really having a problem. He is one of the founding members of the group. I'll ask for his help and I'll also tell him that I would never use the OS again. He knows a nurse and people do ask me for doctors in the area for different problems. I'm sure he will take notice of that. I put in a message requesting an appointment to the office via email. Hopefully I'll finally get some help.
 
The surgeon does at least 4 a week ( that's what is scheduled). He is board certified too. Both he and his nurse have absolutely no bedside manner at all!!

Although experience and surgical skill is arguably more important, I am quite sensitive to doctors with poor bedside manners. In fact I switched surgeons before my LTKR because the first guy was a poor communicator and he seemed to lack empathy. That might not be true, but I just wasn't comfortable. The OS who eventually did both of my TKR's is his actual brother (true!). They work in the same practice, and I occasionally see the rejected brother in passing at the office. Talk about awkward, lol! Both have excellent reputations, however I am confident I chose the right one for me. It's not like he calls me at home, but he is always super nice at bedside and explains everything well. I appreciate it and I recommend him highly to anyone who asks.

Do you have any connections at your closest major medical center? I found my OS via word of mouth and by asking the orthopedic ward charge nurse who she recommends. As an insider who works there in another department this wasn't hard, but still a scary process. After the charge nurse's recommendation I went online, explored my OS' credentials, and read all of his reviews. There are even a few videos of him lecturing at conferences. All of these factors combined to increase my comfort level before my first appointment. Good Luck with your search!

Oops, I see you have decided to see your original ortho. Very good, but keep your options open!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle I will probably look into finding an OS in Philadelphia which is my closest major city with several hospitals connected with the top universities in Pennsylvania. My daughter's mother in law had a knee replacement and I'm going to talk to her about her OS. Even though I'm not able to do my other knee for over a year that will give me some time to find one I'm comfortable with.

I'm so excited today. I really elevated my knees and packed the TKR in ice I actually slept for 7 hours!! That's the most I've slept since my surgery. :happydance:
 
Wow 7 hours is great. Cannot wait for that myself.

Hopeyou have continued sleep success.
 
I'm hoping I'll be able to get a good amount of sleep tonight. I have to be at work tomorrow at 6 am. I'm not sure how late I'll have to stay. Minimally it will be 8 hours. I'll pack my knees in ice again tonight and have both elevated.
 
Back
Top Bottom