Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Tomgho’s Bilateral THR Journey

Hi! Doing well, walking between 1 -1.5 miles daily. I feel like a prisoner newly paroled. Walking without thinking where ever I want, whenever I want is delightful. Still a bit limpy, but going to go to outpatient PT to correct.

Of course, with the increased walking my feet hurt and back muscles are all really tight. But overall, it’s been wonderful.

10 days of hell, then slow but steady progress. No big issues with fatigue or anything like that mercifully.

Going back to work next week and dreading it because it’s nice not to work.

Was able to postpone starting in my new company to end of October, so still got a bit before I have to fly…though honestly I think I am ready now.

All in all feel like I have my life back and feeling strong.

I gained about 8 lbs since pre surgery but I am attributing those to the new hips, right? ;)
 
Glad you're doing well!

I remember very clearly how at your age I had surgery - not orthopedic - and was given I believe 8 weeks disability leave. During the final couple of weeks it really felt like a nice convalescing vacation and oh! I didn't want to go back to work either!
 
Happy to hear you are out & about & I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to work. Now that I'm retired every once in awhile I get the urge to look for something but I have my dog sitting that I do now & the dogs come here. I only really watch family & friends dogs & they have to be small.
My partners grand dogs were here Labor Day weekend which are two big black labs but he helped with the dog walking & they are older & lay around a lot.
Good luck in your new job.
I gained weight too but I've lost it now since I'm back to my regular activities.
Stay well.
 
6 weeks out today! Walking 2-4 miles everyday. Is there anything like overdoing it in terms of walking? Hope everyone is well
 
@tomgho If you feel very sore and achy after walking that far, then yes that is over doing it. Around here joining the ODIC (Over Did It Club) is fairly typical .... particularly for folks use to being very active and wanting to get back to their favorite activities ASAP. So IF you return from one of those long walks and need to apply ice, take a pain pill, take a nap, or generally feel blah and low energy ... cut back on the lengthy strolls for a while. You still are quite early on in the recuperation process.
 
6 weeks out today! Walking 2-4 miles everyday.
Wow! You are doing extremely well for 6 weeks out. Walking is the best thing for hip recovery and it's great that you are able to to it daily.

As Deb says, listen to your body. It will let you know when you've done too much. Sometimes, you may not notice the pain and fatigue right away. For me, it often didn't set in until bedtime or even the next day. Take things slowly.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well with those two new hips, tomgho.
Take care and stay in touch. :)
@tomgho
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom