Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Tomgho’s Bilateral THR Journey

I am getting some numbing and tingling in both hands, is this something people experienced?
Day 11. Things seem to be getting slightly essier. Getting in and out of bed still the worst. But walking, with heavy reliance on the walker seems to be a bit easier,
 
Holding your walker could be the culprit here. I had to use a walker for almost 8 weeks & both my shoulders started to hurt. I made sure the walker was at proper height & all but still had those darn achy shoulders. What I've discovered during this recovery process is that another part of my body acts up that has nothing to do with the hip. Apparently my hip is one happy camper but it did affect other parts of my body. I crochet a lot & my hands get tingly & numb if I stay at it for too long.
But if you are overly concerned definitely check in with OS.
Football starts today!!! Hooray!
 
I developed numbness in my hands using a walker after I broke both ankles. The therapist who visited me at home said it was likely from leaning on the walker or gripping it to hard. She suggested wrapping some foam around it to reduce the pressure. I ended up wearing my bicycling gloves (which have memory foam padding in the palms) and that helped a lot.
 
Thanks a lot! That probably is it, holding on to the walker for dear life!
I had my best day today at day 11. Walked with the walker a lot. Didn’t use the urinal more than a couple of times and made it to the bathroom every time. Switched back to my normal bed, which is higher and as it turns out easier . Even got out of bed a couple of times practically by myself (though getting back still need help lifting the legs up). Overall had a much more upbeat day. I can also stand straight without any aid, an ability I had lost on the right leg prior to surgery, as it would kind of collapse and get locked in a painful position. None of that. So I can claim that I saw the first sign of post operative life actually being better than pre operative! I also permanently ditched the robe/gown and switched to human being clothes which made me feel a bit more like my old self. Tomorrow home PT is back (didn’t sound one bit friendly on the phone, let’s see how she is in person!). Probably looking at a long hallway walk!
Thanks for giving me company in the journey. I am trying to share my experience in real time as possible so maybe someone someday can find some value, as I did in going through old recovery posts.
Cheers,
T
 
Yay for Real Progress!!!!!
 
Good luck with PT! Don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing.
Keep us posted & happy to hear you are starting to feel better.
 
ditched the robe/gown and switched to human being clothes which made me feel a bit more like my old self.
So true! It's amazing how things like wearing "regular" clothes make us feel better.

Let us know how your PT session goes. Don't let the therapist do anything that pushes you into pain.

Slow and steady!
 
thanks all. Day 12 was the best so far. Lots of walking up and down to the hallway and to the elevator. PT did push me quite a bit today, but so far so good. Until she comes back I am going to take it easy ;). I guess I am learning how to walk after not waking properly for years and years. Do you really need to lift your knee like a soldier or an antelope or something? :-) I have been so used to semi dragging, this seems like a hard thing to learn!
Still leaning on the walker. Tried for a second with one cane, but it was pretty limpy. And not confident in trying to do any steps without the walker.
I know the journey has peaks and valleys, but it’s been good for the mind to have had two peak days.
With the leaning on the walker, I can glide about short distances within my building relatively easily, distances would tire me out pre surgery, when I was hobbling with a cane. It’s really awesome to see one or two signs of real improvement's post vs. pre in these early days.
Still got the numbness and tingling in the hand, but guessing that is related to pressing on the walker and lying in bed a lot as you guys said.
Anyway, I can kind of start to see a light and understand why people actually are crazy enough to do this, particularly bilateral. The first few days were just so incredibly hard, I had no choice but to just focus on survival minute by minute.

Thanks to everyone following along. Will try to give real time updates as possible.
 
Greetings from a fellow bilateral. I’m now almost 5 months post op and have returned to work full time and I’m able to move so much better than before. I feel like a weight has been lifted off me after years of pain and limping.
You will have peaks and troughs and there will be times you just need to rest. I found the first 2 weeks really really tough (like you I needed a transfusion and was six days in hospital) and the first 6-8weeks were hard too but I could see progress and that helped me to keep going.
The community on here were great supporting me with any worries and concerns and also in celebrating each wee triumph. I wish you well in your recovery - it will go at its own pace so just do what you can do, rest/sleep and ice as needed. All the best
 
Greetings from a fellow bilateral. I’m now almost 5 months post op and have returned to work full time and I’m able to move so much better than before. I feel like a weight has been lifted off me after years of pain and limping.
You will have peaks and troughs and there will be times you just need to rest. I found the first 2 weeks really really tough (like you I needed a transfusion and was six days in hospital) and the first 6-8weeks were hard too but I could see progress and that helped me to keep going.
The community on here were great supporting me with any worries and concerns and also in celebrating each wee triumph. I wish you well in your recovery - it will go at its own pace so just do what you can do, rest/sleep and ice as needed. All the best
Thanks for sharing! When did you come off the walker? Would love to hear your progress with walking aids. Today I tried walking with two canes. Wobbly, not there yet, but I did a good 100 feet. Walker works best but I am afraid I am really relying on it and upper body strength.
 
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I’m not on here so often these days.
I used a walker only for a couple of days in hospital (had to be able to use crutches before they would let me out of hospital as I have stairs at home) then crutches for about eight weeks. Then under my surgeon’s advice I weaned myself off the crutches. By that point I had pretty much stopped using them about the house and was just using them outdoors when walking.
But that was just my experience.
Whatever works for you is the right thing to do, depending on your surgeon and PT’s advice too. It can vary so much on how your body recovers and also how mobile (or not) you were prior to surgery.
Whatever allows you to move steadily and safely and gradually increase the distance.
I realised early on I wanted a good recovery not a quick one so have patience and you’ll get there.
All the best
 
If you can find a way to be more upright with the walker - keeping it closer in to your body will help! - it will ease your over use of your arms and hands.
With the walker it's safer than canes to practice heel to toe walking, which again relies on having the walker close in to you and an upright posture.

[Bonesmart.org] Tomgho’s Bilateral THR Journey
 
Wow! Bilateral THR!!! That’s a challenge but you seem to have made progress!! Hang in there…….(my surgeon would only do one hip at a time, I’d asked if he’d do bilateral)…..Keep moving as you can and ice, ice, ice……..
 
Wanted to share an update. I am 3 days short of 4 weeks from my bilateral.

I was able to ditch the walker after week 2 for two canes, the ditched any assistive devices by the start of week 3. I am now walking around , albeit like a penguin, without devices. Walking the banks of the Hudson with the skyline in the backdrop and being actually able to enjoy the walk and the scenes, instead of being in pain is wonderful. Already feeling like I got my life back.

I wanted to share my experience as a relatively younger person. The first week was brutal, the first 10 days were super tough. But since then most days have been good incrementally. And as I approach week 4, I have turned a real corner it feels like. I personally didn’t feel the exhaustion all the time much beyond the first few days.

Of course, it’s too early to celebrate fully, but after reading the forum I was expecting a slower and more brutal recovery. After the initial 10 days, which were as tough as anyone described here, things have not been bad at all for me. Not sure if it’s my age, or I just got lucky. Thought I would share this perspective, in case useful to anyone else.
 
Last edited:
@tomgho Delighted to read about your progress and that you feel you have your life back. I’m lucky enough to feel the same. All the best to you
 
Thanks! Here waiting for the 4 week x ray actually. Just walked a little over a mile in NYC, a feat quite impossible pre operatively.
I was walking with one cane for the past two years, and also really enjoying having both hands free!! Thats a nice little perk for sure.

I know I have to work on my “penguin” walking, but for now just enjoying the joy of walking for fun again!
 
How very cool!!!!!
The post above from last Tuesday showing heel to toe gait can be a guide for practicing.
 
Such a great update and accomplishment and just think....it's going to get even better!
Thanks for sharing your healing journey, you brave bilateral! :)
@tomgho
 
Hi tomgho :wave:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a lovely day and week!
@tomgho
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom