TKR TKR with Fibro and Raynauds and RA, anyone else?

@beralc , I hope things will start looking up for you, remember there will be up and down days. I’m now dealing with a UTI , making me tired and somewhat cross. Hope the meds kick in soon and I get some more energy. So it goes, one foot in front of another and we’ll get there .
 
Thanks everyone. Well this is day 4 of couch rest with exercises that I did in the first few weeks so basic quad tightenings and knee presses and little else. Slight improvement in swelling but the knee and calf feel more like they did at the beginning, where I felt like there was something digging into my calf even if I had it on a soft pillow that had virtually gone this time last week, but all the extra steps and sitting with my legs down last week really aggravated things, so much so I’m back on all the medications I was taking in the first few weeks too, so that’s a big step back.
I really feel the exhaustion and breathlessness are less to do with the anaemia and more to do with the over reactive inflammatory response. Sheer exhaustion.

Think my GP is fascinated with what’s happening because I’m not really following the normal pattern of things,but what that has meant is he’s really interested to hear my views and respects my own awareness, of my body and how it reacts to things. I’ll have repeat FBC and TSH and T4 in 4 weeks to ensure things are improving.

All in all it’s one of those things I just have to accept for now and respect what my body’s telling me. My mood is still very fragile and again, I can’t do much about that either. Although my daughter suggested doing some of the visualisation techniques of seeing yourself some time in the future doing something that you love.

So I’ve been imagining walking into the sea on my favourite beach in Crete called Kokkini Hani and swimming with my family ❤️
 
@Oldped hope you recover quickly from your UTI oldped. It’s really difficult coping with other things as well as a TKR. As you say one foot forward and keep going. X
 
@beralc being very sensible will hasten your recovery, hard to accept but just one of many things thrown at us. Certainly true in the saying time is a healer. I'm not doing too good with the bend. Just cannot get this knee to walk properly and today have really had enough. Every day is ice/elevate, exercise, walk about, repeat and it's just got to me. I have my appointment on Friday with my surgeon and I am really pleased as I have questions. Make sure you rest and if you need the meds it's because you do need them, I have had to go back on mine some days. Sending hugs and wishes xx
 
It's got to be a plus that your GP respectfully trusts your experience and focuses on monitoring what he currently can't "fix."
@beralc
 
@beralc being very sensible will hasten your recovery, hard to accept but just one of many things thrown at us. Certainly true in the saying time is a healer. I'm not doing too good with the bend. Just cannot get this knee to walk properly and today have really had enough. Every day is ice/elevate, exercise, walk about, repeat and it's just got to me. I have my appointment on Friday with my surgeon and I am really pleased as I have questions. Make sure you rest and if you need the meds it's because you do need them, I have had to go back on mine some days. Sending hugs and wishes xx
Hi @Andypandy I bet you just want Friday to be over now. Hope all goes well and you get some answers. Sending hugs x
 
It's got to be a plus that your GP respectfully trusts your experience and focuses on monitoring what he currently can't "fix."
@beralc
Absolutely right. He’s excellent. Just treats me like a human being and listens which is absolutely key. It’s definitely a two way conversation about my care, which feels great.
 
@beralc Doing a bit better today, but had to change antibiotic because the one I was on was not quite right. Feeling a bit discouraged, my stomach sensitive to meds, can’t take NSAIDS, most antibiotics give me some stomach upset. I did manage to walk some laps on deck, sunny here and 52F!! Keep at it, sending you hugs too, brighter days ahead for us all I hope. Glad you have a trusted GP, they can be hard to find. I’m feeling fragile too, I’m used to being steady and strong, it’s hard. I’m visualizing my favorite beach on Lake Superior, finding loads of beach glad and agates on a warm sunny day, then a campfire with s’mores.
 
@Oldped glad you’ve been able to get outside. Beautiful clear day here in SW England but still stuck in the couch at present. Will be lucky to get to my Physio this week. Blood pressure seems to have settled a bit which reflects slightly improved pain level. My Flexion isn’t as good as last week but I really feel there’s still a lot of swelling in the knee from last weeks excursions.

I’m like you usually so steady and strong but this is really testing us isn’t it.

Patience is key but very difficult to stick to So keep visualising x
 
Last edited:
Blood pressure seems to have settled a bit which reflects slightly improved pain level.
That is progress. And the weather is definitely more Spring like here in the UK. The crocuses are out in my local park. Here's hoping you will be able to get out more and enjoy the weather soon!
 
Hi everyone. Hope you’re all doing as well as you can be. ❤️
I have a question. I’ve noticed the last couple of mornings when I wake up (after always having toes above nose for both knees now) and sit at the edge of the bed and stand up, things feel quite good and flexion is good and whilst stiff when beginning to walk, it’s ok once I get going, (although still not as good as last Tuesday week), but within minutes as I stand at the sink I can literally feel my knees tightening up with swelling and pressing onto my clothing. Then when I walk again it’s not really loosening up on walking.

Obviously gravity may well pull fluid back down into the legs/knees but this is my sixth day of legs elevated above my nose and pretty much allowing my knees a complete rest day and night. I don’t really get it, unless the overactive inflammation in my body is just responding to any aggravation, no matter how slight.

Any thoughts?
 
@beralc only thoughts are why does this continue to happen after doing so much to prevent this. I've actually thrown the towel in couple times this week as I have had enough. Now using a rolling pin, in between the ice/elevate, and don't know if you read my post from yesterday, but it works, briefly. So now rolling pin is my friend. Xx
 
@Andypandy have just read your post from yesterday. The rolling pin idea sounds really interesting. I’m so happy you noticed a significant difference afterwards. I’ll definitely be giving that a try today and will let you know. I expect you’ll be giving it a good roll before your appointment on Friday

I agree, the idea that you do everything to prevent swelling, can be very demoralising when it comes back and so fast. We really do have to be incredibly patient with this recovery.

Just out of interest when was your first post op appointment with your surgeon?
 
@beralc 7 weeks the 1st one. I thought maybe take the rolling pin with me on Friday :happydance: Obviously you need to use this regularly, but just love that I can walk normally after using it. Swelling then comes x
 
@beralc
It's generally several months before any of us total knee folks are comfortable standing more than briefly!
I had pretty easy recoveries compared to many BoneSmarties, but I distinctly recall volunteering at an event four months after my first knee and oh my did I have to give up and sit with my leg up on a chair most of the evening! I was perfectly ok walking, but standing was still very much a problem.
 
@Andypandy and @beralc , same here. I have legs just slightly elevated at night,and when I get up during night, or first thing in AM knee feels “ softer”, not a log, but after moving around it stiffens right up and feels heavy. Sometimes too less stiff after lying with toes up on couch. Got new meds for uti, 2 doses in, not bad on stomach . I feel like I’m a slow moving train wreck!
 
@Oldped good news on the meds. It’s strange I’ve not felt this before today. I could almost feel my knees fill up with a couple of minutes of walking, really strange.
@beralc 7 weeks the 1st one. I thought maybe take the rolling pin with me on Friday :happydance: Obviously you need to use this regularly, but just love that I can walk normally after using it. Swelling then comes x
First one Does that mean you’ve had more than one TKR or more than one surgeon visit?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom