TKR TKR with Fibro and Raynauds and RA, anyone else?

What a great update! I am happy for you that you're doing so well and managing to take it all in stride.
You have been through a lot and I hope you're able to get the restorative rest you need for strength and stamina.
Have a nice day! :)
@beralc
 
Thanks @EalingGran and @Layla. Yes good progress but I’m reminded often not to overdo by a reminder from my body so I’m following that cue. It has given me a lot of confidence in not getting too discouraged by my seeming lack of progress over the past 7.5 weeks and much of that has come from you all here on BS.❤️
 
Think of all that occurred during your TKR and it's understandable why it can take a full year to recover and even enjoy progress into the second and third years post op. Seven and a half weeks is a short amount of time in the entire scheme of things. Especially because you're going to have that prosthetic for a good long time! :yes:
We're happy to hear you're finding the forum beneficial and thankful you're part of it all!
Happy Thursday!
@beralc
 
I’ve not had a great few days.
I really flip flop between feeling encouraged and discouraged. Only Wednesday things seemed good, then I did what I thought was enough and not too much, using my body as a gauge, but then spent the next couple of days with swelling and burning and more pain, clearly having done too much.

I don’t think I’ve really made any progress these past 10 days or so. Doing too much doesn’t seem to me to be doing very much. I still react badly to doing more than between 2-3,000 steps a day and then having to dial back the following day because of it. Along with my own exercises (which trust me are not anything crazy in fact not much beyond what I was doing in the first few weeks), its still all very low impact.
I suppose it happens to us all you get down in a bit of a quagmire and it’s hard to see the bigger picture when you’re stuck in a small one. I’ve been taking iron since Feb 20th so a couple of weeks, but I wouldn’t say much has changed yet,but that may be the Fibro leaving me feeling breathless and shaky.


I know I will really, but a thought flits through my head now and again that I’ll never be well again. It’s seems to be unrelenting. And I think the knee isn’t the main problem, but more how I’m feeling systemically.


I need to take some of my own advice to be patient, realistic and take one step at a time. Hope everyone else is finding their way ❤️
 
@beralc sorry to hear you're a little down,but I honestly believe it's part of our journey. So many of us have reported how down we feel, can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and it seems it's part and parcel of a tkr. When we aren't feeling too great, everything seems to magnify the worst. Along with not knowing what is too much or too little exercise, well that's enough to cope with without anything else. You've been in this situ before and very sensibly dealt with it I.e rest and then started again with good results. And that is just it, stop,start where the heck are we, mind games. Rest your knee for however long and I'll be doing the same with mine. Sending hugs and xxxxxx
 
I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged, @beralc. The course of this recovery can be such a roller coaster during the first few months. Ups and downs; two steps forward, one step back.

Here is BoneSmart's graphical representation of joint replacment recovery:

[Bonesmart.org] AJ’s LHS THR


Just know that it is completely normal and things will level out.

For now, it's best to listen to your body. Remember that you are only two months into this year-long recovery and your body may just need some time to incorporate the healing to date before it can continue on the journey.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
I know I will really, but a thought flits through my head now and again that I’ll never be well again. It’s seems to be unrelenting. And I think the knee isn’t the main problem, but more how I’m feeling systemically.
What you’re experiencing is very common. You might want to reread the following article:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it. :console2:
 
You're managing a lot. It is understandable that you feel down now and then. Recovery from joint replacement is already a big challenge and with all else you're dealing with it's even more complex. Your progress is still progress, even if it feels slow or likes it's stalled somewhat. Your body is healing in it's own timed setbacks and stalls don't mean failure. You've already come so far. Give yourself some grace, rest when needed and keep moving forward at your own pace. Brighter days ahead, you can count on that! :yes: :thumb:
@beralc

Wishing you a Happy Two Month Anniversary! Celebrate you, you deserve it! :friends:
 
Hope all my fellow recovery girls are doing ok today.
Thank you everybody for your kind advice. Well since Sunday I’ve flipped following that flop :heehee: Everything feels like I’m moving forward. Just goes to show its good not to get hung up if things stall. Sometimes you need the stalls to reboot. Visited my daughter and grandsons yesterday which did me a lot of good, although, I had to avoid being used as a climbing frame. Last evening I managed to get my knee touching my crutch when sitting. See photo. When I saw my physio on the 27th I’d say I was about 4 inches away from achieving that and they said that’s a goal, goes to show that sometimes recovery is happening under the surface, even if we don’t feel like it.
They messed up my physio a bit,so I was supposed to be an urgent referral but ringing today they can’t see me until the 21/3/25. So that gives me another 10 days on my own doing my own thing which suits me fine. Yay!
I’ve done quite a few cores around the house this morning and my exercises, which I’ve adjusted somewhat, to factor in the chores and now icing and elevating.

So all good here and the sun is shining ❤️
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] TKR with Fibro and Raynauds and RA, anyone else?
    IMG_1167.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 42
That's fantastic progress, beralc!
You're being patient as your body heals and it's paying off. Keep celebrating the small victories along the way. You're on your way to moving with more freedom and confidence every day! :)
@beralc
 
did two successful descents of the stairs foot over foot. Very gingerly but I did it. I just sort of knew my body was ready
That is really amazing progress.
I couldn't do that for about 7 months. Yet I had a good recovery and can do anything now.
 
That’s called “listening to your body.” Usually we talk about that process in the more negative way of watching to be sure you’re not overdoing things. But it’s great to see an example of the “listening” that says to do a bit more. If you pay attention, you’ll actually feel your body giving you those messages. You’re doing great!
 
@Jamie yes you’re right. I don’t know if having chronic illnesses for nearly 30 years has helped but I think I’ve become quite good at listening/knowing what I need to do.
 
Well I’m seeing a big change in my body. Before Monday whenever I had increased swelling and/or pain in my knee/knees my whole body reacted and became inflamed, causing me to feel unwell. Since Monday that’s changed. I’m now on day 5 of experiencing knee swelling or pain which is only is located at the knee area and nowhere else !!

Since Tuesday I’ve continued with my foot over foot downstairs method, I’m increasing my steps and activities through the day and generally reconnecting with the world. Yesterday I went to the park with my OH and grandsons and did the most steps I’ve done since surgery, my first proper outing in 9 weeks. This morning I have a little burning in my other knee and some general muscle aches (to be expected) but otherwise feeling good. I can’t believe the change.
My flexion isn’t going backwards either as it did before at times and even when my knee has been more swollen this week, I’ve still been able to achieve the same flexion regardless.

I had reduced my pain relief meds early last week but decided to increase them again and I really feel that helped too.

So I now just need to be patient and see out this incredible exhaustion (definitely think this is due more to the inflammatory episodes I’ve had, than the anaemia) and be mindful not to get ahead of myself, but I feel I’m definitely progressing well now. Thanks everyone, mods and fellow recoverees for all the kind words of encouragement and hoping you’re all on the right road ❤️
 
What an wonderful update, beralc! I'm very happy for you. So many positives in your post. I hope you continue to enjoy this progress and eventually feel well rested.
Thank YOU for your support of the community through your thoughtful and caring post to others. I am certain your kindness and encouragement has benefitted those you've communicated with.
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@beralc
 
Ah thank you @Layla it’s been a very positive experience sharing with others plenty of posters have helped me and if I have helped anyone else that makes it even better. ❤️
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom