TKR TKR with Fibro and Raynauds and RA, anyone else?

@beralc @westiemom @Oldped when I last saw my surgeon 25th January, he remarked that every part of the body is affected and how true. I have had many things pop up to remind me they are there, usually under control but not at the moment. Sometimes, very rarely, I get a cold sore on my lip, a few days ago my face, op side, felt tingly and I saw a small raised patch just above my chin. Thought at first shingles, had before some years ago but around my waist, but this hasn't spread and I'm sure this is a cold sore. Only ever had on lips before so strange. So, we are having to deal with so much other than our beloved new knee. I have made a friend of mine, it's with me full stop. We aren't any different to others, albeit some heal quicker, so we are pretty normal in what we are experiencing. Sending you hugs, wishes and millions of xxxxxxx. Ice cream van is there xxxx
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Thanks so much for sharing your journey here and your support of others. It is greatly appreciated.
You've acquired quite the friend group here which always makes recovery a bit more bearable.
Happy Monday...I hope you have a wonderful week! :)
@beralc
 
Thank you @Layla!
Feeling a bit more like myself today. Think another couple of days I’ll be back to pre fall status. Doing more walking yesterday and today and feeling more stable.

As I’ve generally been less mobile I’ve been doing lots of reading of articles about inflammation in people with autoimmune diseases which is significantly increased after surgery. It goes a long way to explaining a lot about the anaemia and other abnormal blood results I’ve had.
I know I’m only speaking for myself but I can say autoimmune diseases absolutely affect recover post surgery and actually lots of papers suggesting more should be done to preempt problems for these groups. Major surgery is particularly significant.
It also explains my initial 10 days of flares increasing pain and swelling.
So if there’s a next time I’ll at least be better informed in this area as well as by the advise given here.
 
@Andypandy yes that makes sense having cold sores. They always reappear when people are feeling physically low. You’re right it triggers so many things because as you say the knee is such an integral part of our support. I’ve suddenly had back ache the last couple of days and I’m sure it’s simply because I’m walking upright now. It all has a knock in effect. Keep pushing forward :) :-) (:
I’m trying to adopt a different look at progress and rather than looking at the progress from day to day, I’m trying to see progress over the week which always seems more significant..
 
@beralc thank you so much for expressing your confidence in us by joining the Insider Club!

Yes when it comes to both ferritin and autoimmunity you're on the right track.

If there's any doubt about the efficacy of oral supplements working quickly enough, given how extreme your symptoms are hopefully your primary will consider iron via IV infusion to get your therapy a good start.
 
@beralc …. Are you under the care of a rheumatologist? If so, you might want to contact them and let them know what you’re going through. Or, if not, your GP might be helpful for you.
 
Feeling a bit more like myself today. Think another couple of days I’ll be back to pre fall status. Doing more walking yesterday and today and feeling more stable.
That's great to hear. I know from my own experience that a fall can knock your confidence and a lot of this recovery is trying to stay positive.
Are you still using any walking aid?
I bought a foldable stick which I used outside for several months. I live in a busy suburb with lots of uneven pavements and I had had a few falls before my surgery ( probably partly due to my leg being very knock kneed). The stick gave me confidence to get out on tubes/ buses by myself and also signalled to others to give me space ( and a seat!).
I would recommend thinking about this.
The only important proviso is to practise walking straight and not leaning too much on the stick. Towards the end I hardly used it but felt safer having it with me.
 
Thanks for your thoughts @EalingGran Yes confidence and having to get on top of the pain again which was a bit demoralising.

I’ve actually been using one crutch for a while and really have done quite a bit without anything at all. In fact the main reason I use the crutch is more to do with the anemia and feeling faint wobbly etc. I feel very stable walking without anything and have done since about the beginning of the 3rd week but only did it intermittently. I’m now at 4 weeks +4 days and I’m doing that most of the time, just tend to use the crutch to lean on after standing, while I get my bearings and any faintness eases. I do still always use a crutch up and down stairs though.

I don’t have any limping once the heavy feeling eases. I take things slowly and am very mindful of walking heel to toe and making sure my leg doesn’t swing round as it seems to want to do,(maybe it was doing that pre surgery) but following through in a straight line, with a slight flex to the knee.

Tbh I’ve hardly been out except appointments, what with the surgery, then the anemia and the fall, but I would definitely continue to use a crutch/stick outdoors as you say if only to make others aware. I can’t do a lot of walking ordinarily anyway due to chronic conditions. I’ve started back doing exercises plus walking and using the rocking chair which I think is definitely helping with knee flexion.

So all in all moving forward.
 
Last edited:
So all in all moving forward.
That's our wish, right? Glad you're feeling optimistic. You've had some obstacles, but seem to be navigating your path with strength, grace and positivity. An exciting brighter future awaits! :happydance:
Happy Tuesday, beralc!
 
don’t have any limping once the heavy feeling eases. I take things slowly and am very mindful of walking heel to toe and making sure my leg doesn’t swing round as it seems to want to do,(maybe it was doing that pre surgery) but following through in a straight line, with a slight flex to the knee.
That all sounds very positive given all you've been through.
 
Well people aren’t wrong when we say everything’s connected and each week there seems to be a new pain. My current problem since increasing my steps is sole of the foot pain. I’ve suffered from plantar fasciitis, but this feels different, like a deep gnawing nerve pain,especially on the base of the heel and back of the ankle. I think it’s probably because I’m using the whole of the sole of the foot now when I walk, rather than walking on the outer aspect of the foot that I’ve developed over the years.

With regards to physio. You may remember I haven’t yet been and I’ll be 5 weeks post surgery on Friday. I’ve simply pushed forward and eased back, dependent on what’s been happening. They postponed physio until I felt better but I thought if I waited for that I’ll probably never get there.
Had a chat to them today and after discussing everything I’m doing, the fact that I have doubled my flexion since I spoke to them just under a couple of weeks ago, my use of the rocking chair, the fall, the anaemia etc they’ve suggested I continue what I’m doing at home and they’ll ring me in a week to review things.

So looks like I’ve dodged another bullet and can continue working at my own pace. So I’m happy with that.
I’m making progress in my own way and at my own pace, given the hurdles I’ve encountered.

Hope everyone is having a better day today @westiemom @Andypandy @Oldped xxx
 
doing,the fact that I have doubled my flexion since I spoke to them just under a couple of weeks ago, my use of the rocking chair, the fall, the anaemia etc they’ve suggested I continue what I’m doing at home and they’ll ring me in a week to review things.
That all sounds very positive.
I found a rocking stool really good to gradually improve flexion
 
That’s a fine update!

That foot pain may be a different presentation of plantar fasciitis; heel and Achilles tendon are sometimes where it manifests.
Either way, yes, it’s no doubt a response to your changed weight bearing. If you haven’t yet checked for uneven wear patterns on your shoes, please do so: as our gait changes post op, often we need new shoes.
 
@mendogal funny I looked at my footwear this morning. A few pairs are going straight out. You can see exactly how I was walking and which side took the pressure. Luckily a really lovely pair of Skechers trainers I’ve had for a while are still good as I don’t wear them that often .
Still it’s a good excuse for new shoes
 
Very happy with this weeks progress. With the anaemia and the fall last week I knew I was going to be facing more of a challenge, but yesterday at 5 weeks I got to 90 degrees flexion. I’d say I’m pretty much at full extension now. In the main that’s happened with walking and using the rocking chair to increase flexion, heel slides and regular quad tightenings and foot pumps.

I’m increasing my walking every other day and reviewing and make a decision to stay where I am or add more steps. All indoors at present but that’s because of still feeling faint at times.


I’m walking without a crutch round the house, except when I first stand up and I use one up and down stairs. I have been doing one step at a time but over the last week I do the bottom, middle and top step as would be normal and use my crutch to take some of the weight, so lead with the op knee. No pain or increased swelling doing that through the week, but I won’t add any to that until I’m really happy it’s not too much.

Thanks for being here everyone ❤️
 
@beralc that’s a most welcome update. It sounds like you’re making progress in the safest and sanest way possible given the challenges you’ve faced. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom