TKR TKR with Fibro and Raynauds and RA, anyone else?

Hi All hope you’re all doing ok.
Well a rather exhausting couple of days for me. Yesterday went for my MOT. with my GP. Blood Pressure and Pulse still completely unusual for me. Systolic of 170 on one reading whereas my average BP is usually around 116/72. Pulse usually about 72 and whenever not sitting it’s been spiking at highs of 140. All very odd. So bloods taken again. They also did a Ddimer test cos I’ve been pretty breathless, so checking for clots. So had to walk around a bit and sitting for long periods so on the back of Wednesdays activities by the end of yesterday knee very swollen and calf too. Decided that today I’d have a complete rest with elevation etc.

However, got a call this morning to say my Ddimer raised so had to take myself to a day emergency case unit. Spent nearly 8 hours having every test under the sun and luckily no clots and actually had the nice news that there’s no calcification of vessels seen or heart strain just an added bonus of getting a complete work up.
Needless to say my feet were down for much of the time so now both legs and knees very swollen. Have just got back home, so elevating now and don’t intend doing anything but resting tomorrow.

With regards to my Transferrin, sats checked and definitely iron deficiency anaemia so being treated and will soon bounce back soon I’m sure. With regards to my Thyroid BP and tachycardia they tend to agree with me that my autoimmune diseases were badly triggered by the surgery and have impacted several body systems. So recuperation is definitely the key now.

Little did I know when I asked my surgeon if he thought my autoimmune diseases would affect my recovery and he responded by saying “I don’t see why” how wrong he’d be :heehee:
 
Sorry you had to go through all of that. That had to be rather tiring and stressful. I hope you're able to rest comfortably and things return to normal for you soon. :console2: Lots of TLC is in order. Wishing you a peaceful weekend.
@beralc
 
Sorry you had along day with legs down @beralc , but ultimately a good report. Must be the day for dr visits, I had to go too and found out I have a UTI after many bathroom visits last night/this morning. So yucky antibiotics for me, the couch with a heating pad, ice on the knee. Also got med for sleep/ anxiety, took small dose this afternoon, lovely nap! More tonight and hopefully fewer bathroom trips.
 
@beralc well that was some outing, any excuse to get out:flwrysmile: take things very carefully and some well deserved rest. Let me know when you need that ice cream x @Oldped You are certainly being tested, sounds very sensible what you are doing, pleased you got the sleep/anxiety meds, they certainly have helped me on this journey. Sending big hugs xxx
 
Thank you everyone! As you say @Andypandy although tough on my body was definitely good to get out and see the world. Managed to keep both legs very elevated all night so some 11 hours and after a bathroom break they’re back up again.

Hoping whatever struggles you’re going through today @Oldped @Andypandy @westiemom and all knee recovery peeps, you’re able to gain some positives. Take care all x
 
@beralc Just wanted to give you my condolences on your health challenges. I’ve had hyperparathyroidism in the past and can’t imagine going through that while going through TKRs. While you don’t have that, it sounds like you’re facing similar challenges. Imbalanced hormones can be depressing. Having anemia is exhausting. Any additional pain can be overwhelming. I hope you recover soon and am cheering you on. You’ve been encouraging me to use my rocking chair to help my knees bend. :yes:
 
You are earned yourself at least a whole week of more rest! I'm tired after reading all you have been doing!
 
Hi @Focuspositively and thanks for your lovely message. It has felt a bit like I get over one hurdle and then something else crops up. To be honest my knee has been the least of the problems!!
Hope the rocking chair works for you. I found myself getting more daring with it as the weeks have gone by. X
 
I’ve set up my first Physio appt for next Thursday, whoopee!. Gives me time to get more iron in me and as importantly get the pain and swelling back to where I was at the beginning of this week, really very sore today, way way too much walking sitting etc over the last few days.

Unfortunately the left knee is actually more painful than the right TKR. Hopefully it will settle though, as the right knee gets stronger, because having had an arthroscopy in September on the left, I’m not sure there’s another option, before TKR. We’ll see.

It’s strange despite everything that’s happened If I do end up needing a left TKR in the future I think I’d actually feel ok about it and certainly well prepared and supported by everyone here.
 
Unfortunately the left knee is actually more painful than the right TKR. Hopefully it will settle though, as the right knee gets stronger,
Sorry to hear this. I was very lucky to have a good unoperated knee. It's not surprising though that the unoperated side gets some pains as you are probably putting more weight on it.
I got some hip pains on my unoperated side if I stood for any length of time.
I found it helpful to consciously shift my weight.
 
@EalingGran you’re right about shifting weight and being conscious about what you’re doing. I’ve got to learn to rely on my TKR knee more now because I can and it definitely feels stronger than my left tbh. There’s so much physical and mental adaptation to TKRs isn’t there.
 
My old knee got worse during my early TKR recovery because it was being used so much more than normal. After my new knee started carrying more of my weight, my old knee improved. I bet yours will, too.
 
@sistersinhim yes that’s what I’m hoping

Had another rough day and felt a little sorry for myself not I had a good cry feel somewhat better. It’s funny I’ve kept myself up and positive all the way through, but it all just got too much today. Nothing in particular just a bit overwhelmed I guess. I’ll be fine tomorrow. Night all x
 
Overwhelmed blues is totally understandable. Sending a ((hug)) and hope tomorrow is a better day.
 
I hope your surgeon learned something from your experience. We see this frequently on BoneSmart that people with autoimmune diseases do have different reactions to joint replacement surgery. I’m glad you’ve recognized this and are able to deal with it with the assistance of others on your medical team. It’s a sad fact that sometimes even the best ortho specialists are simply not in tune with how the body systems and parts work together.

Don’t feel the least bit guilty about taking things slower until your body gets normalized again. Every recovery is different and you know your body better than anyone. Listening to its signals will tell you when to slow down and when you can begin to challenge yourself a little. You’re doing great.

Be sure you’re getting as much sleep as possible. Naps are good too. Hang in there…..spring and better days are ahead to look forward to!
 
Thanks ❤️
@Jamie I think there’s probably some who won’t even recognise that their autoimmune diseases have had an adverse affect, they’ll probably just think everyone feels like this.
We don’t see our surgeon until about 8 weeks post op and I think most people won’t mention what’s happened especially if the reaction has been fairly low key.

Fortunately sleep isn’t a problem and I’m very grateful for that it’s staying awake that’s the challenge :heehee:

Thanks for the support everyone ❤️
 
@beralc really feel for you, but the best medicine is a good cry, don't hold back. Given the number of ailments you have, you deserve a gold star. At the beginning you were doing incredibly well compared to some of us, but maybe now your body is saying hold back just a little, you will get back to where you were, just a little glip. As we mentioned in earlier posts, had some strange feelings/ issues crop up, this is like a shake up of our bodies. I have been on my frustration side last couple of days as my knee doesn't want to do what I want it to do and I want it now! However, doesn't work like that as many of us have experienced. So, back to good old ice and elevate more regularly. Stay positive but take it slowly. Sending hugs, wishes and a 99 x
 
Aww, beralc, I'm so sorry you had a rough day. Most of us can relate having experienced a few of those types of days in our recoveries. You've been dealing with a lot and its amazing how you've held it together in the most difficult early weeks You're a champ! Wishing you a sunshine, lollipops and rainbows kind of week. :wink: :friends:
@beralc
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom