Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR September 10

Hello recovery friends! I got up and took a nice long shower and feel better today. Swelling is still prominent medially right knee. Plus those weird clicking noises I’ve had since my last nightmare PT session. I’m not clacking as much but it’s still there and I don’t like it! I’m hoping the ODIC membership has been revoked for all of us! Haha:heehee:

It’s a sad situation when it seems like you’ve seen everything on tv! I am going to try and get out for at least a drive today. Haven’t been out of the house since Wednesday and have a bit of cabin fever. I started driving relatively soon after surgery, since I was off opiates by my third week.

I’m actually looking forward to getting back to work on November 13. So 2 more weeks before the new knee is tried out on a real life basis! Has anyone else thought of or resumed work 8 weeks post op? I work in a very busy medical clinic. I’m sure there’s going to be mess when I get back and I’ll have to pace myself to get the office back to my standards! :snork:

Hope everyone is doing well this Sunday! Another gorgeous day here in central Florida! I’m going to try and enjoy it. Without a visit to ODIC which I’m hoping I’ve learned that lesson!:catbutterfly:
 
PT works if you control it . Pain serves no purpose other than to anger the knee. Discomfort is your goal which is right on the edge of pain. That has been my goal, and it works for me. It’s recognizing that threshold that I think is key ,and making sure the therapist buys into it.

On a warmer note ,can’t wait to get out of NY to winter home in Florida. Looking forward to continuing my rehab in the sun n surf lol. Unfortunately, unless we fly down for a couple weeks late November ,early December, we won’t get there till the end of December, and that sucks cause we get caught in that mob of snowbirds heading South, and you can slow to crawl in Carolinas, n Georgia
 
ithout a visit to ODIC which I’m hoping I’ve learned that lesson!
Don’t be surprised if you visit that club again. While you’ve learned the lesson for when you can control things, life sometimes has other plans and we get dragged in. I’m guessing it may happen at work for a while when you go back.

My son’s wedding at 5 months post op is a prime example in my case. It was 90 minutes away from where I live, and a total of activities over a 3 day period. I did what I could, but much was out of my control.
 
@flsungirl -- I was back at work when I could think clearly, about 10 days after surgery. I have a job where I could work from home, and still do, so that is fortunate. When you do go back, take frequent breaks and sit down often.

My PT started with the brute force, bend it until you can't approach. I was swearing and crying so much, and fighting them, that no one won. Then a very experienced PT took a look, listened to my symptoms, and we started doing massage and loosening of tight muscles and stretching the psoas and TFL to relieve the nerve pain I was having in my leg and foot. Now I overhear the PTs working with new TKR patients and they say "some PTs like to force the bend, we do X,Y and Z." So maybe I caused a change in practice that will hopefully lead to better outcomes!

I wish you continued healing!
 
Hey @flsungirl
So glad you feel more like yourself again! I’m not cleared to return to work at the law office until possibly early Jan /19 cuz I still have so much work to do on my gait. First time I will be off for Christmas in 18 yrs so while I’m dreading the therapy ahead of me I’m looking forward to going all Martha Stewart on my family for the holidays. :snork:

I’ve been watching all of the old trashy tv and cruising here and playing with my camera gear to kill time. Stinks that a few clients have called to book Christmas family sessions and can’t do them but only temporary.
I have the clicking too and notice it way more on days I tighten my leg to walk so guessing it’s muscular related ?

Enjoy your Sunday!!! :wave:
 
Great article on the clunky knee. Had same question on my thread
 
@flsungirl, I returned to work at the beginning of week 5, however that was working from home. The first day was a struggle as I tried to spend the day sitting at my home office desk. I spent the rest of the week using a “laptop” in exactly that manner, in my recliner, knee elevated and iced, laptop where it was designed to be :snork:.

Week 2 I alternated one day home, next in the office (I have an hour plus drive). By week 7, I was in the office full time, but had a gel pack in the freezer in the cafe next to my office. I actually took a trip to the west coast during week 8. I managed with minimal issues but also did a lot of advance planning on what to expect. As long as you plan for and expect the worse, you should be able to manage.
 
Well...I just got off the phone with the physical therapist. She proceeded to tell me I would probably need an MUA. My reply...I don’t think so. So she says, oh so you don’t think your surgeon will require it. I said it doesn’t really matter because I’m NOT doing it. Arghhhhh the nerve of people with their threats! :censored:

I swear some people only hear what they want. I explained to her that after last Wednesday’s session I was swollen and in a lot of pain. She says, well we really need to break up that scar tissue.:gaah: And I said there was minimal stiffness and I was up and around until last session. Somehow she heard was that I’m in pain after EVERY session. Nope...just the last one that forced me backwards in my recovery! I told her I was perfectly happy with my progress until last week. I was feeling much better after my sessions, until last week. She wants me to come in on Friday to do an evaluation and to just do exercises I’m comfortable with. She finally heard that it was last Wednesday’s session and not all of them that caused the pain! Not sure what I’m going to do. I’m thinking of just not going any longer. I also told her my ROM has improved since my surgery. It was years of damage and it didn’t happen over night. Omg I’m so glad I found this forum or I would have sucked it up and continued!

I’m finally up and about today and am feeling less pain and immobilization. I just vacuumed some of the house and started cleaning up my sons coffee dribbles on the floor. Cats are fed and watered. Going to do some laundry later on. Hoping this is the turnaround I’ve been waiting for! :bow:
 
I was unprepared for her comments! I just knew in the back of my head to say no! Her whole conception was that I’ve been incapacitated after every visit, which wasn’t the case. I was very happy with PT until last time. And to hear her threaten me with all that “****” ! MUA, breaking up scar tissue... but girl! I have BoneSmart power in my arsenal, and I’m not afraid to use it! :rotfl:
 
@flsungirl Have you tried buying a new pair of sneakers or walking shoes? After my first replacement someone on BS suggested this. She explained that trying to walk in older, broken-in shoes can cause pain as your leg and foot are now structured differently. I did buy new sneakers and I believe it helps. My dressier, less worn shoes don’t seem to be a problem but the old walking shoes had to go.
 
@LeeApril26 i appreciate your suggestion. Since I live in Florida, for the most part in the house I’m barefoot. I was wondering if my old shoes needed to be replaced because they’re”worn in” to my old way of walking. I have some other shoes that I barely wore, they’re sneakers too, and I will try those on and see if I feel a difference when I take my walk outside. Thanks so much!
 
I just vacuumed some of the house and started cleaning up my sons coffee dribbles on the floor. Cats are fed and watered. Going to do some laundry later on. Hoping this is the turnaround I’ve been waiting for!
This is all the PT you need! It’s the Activities of Daily Living that we talk about all the time!

I will not be going to PT at all next time because:
I have BoneSmart power in my arsenal, and I’m not afraid to use it!
 
@flsungirl, do you know what your bend and extension is? That is upsetting that she is threatening the dreaded MUA already. I think at 4 weeks today, I am a 90 bend +5 extention. I can get my 4 fingers underneath my knee pressing down by itself on a flat surface.
I decided I am not going to do out pt PT but I am doing some on my own. Yesterday, I got on my stationary bike and pedaled 10 rotations backwards and 10 rotations forward. Some sitting to standing reps 30, straight leg lifts, heel slides, 15 and I am a little sore and stiff today.
 
@Cementless last Wednesday I was 100/0. Not sure now but know I still have the 0 flexion. I try and put my legs out in front of me off and on while laying around and there’s no space between surface and knee. Before surgery I could barely bend my knee, but my right knee is bending about 15 degrees more than my left now. That in itself is huge!

I just started doing a few exercises, but not anywhere near what I was doing prior to last PT visit. My knee feels lots better today..it took 8 days to recover! Just irritated that I was doing so well and one therapist messed me up. My walking is no longer a shuffle, almost back to normal!

My inner hip is still letting me know it’s not ready to let go of this pulling feeling. My feet still get really cold a lot too. Appetite slowly returning because I’ve been hungry the last few days. Not going to put that 25 + lbs back on! I’m looking forward to this being over!

I think she misunderstood about my PT sessions. She thought I was in pain and swelling after every visit. She said it was going to need an MUA because of scar tissue, which is not the case. I have very little if any tight bands around my knee anymore. Plus my doc has never mentioned anything like that. I’ve always felt wonderful after my sessions until last week. Still on the fence about going back. If i do it will be to clarify why I had this setback.
It has nothing to do with scar tissue and everything to do with the over aggressive push.

Thanks for the support! And keep up the good recovery!
 
@flsungirl, my feet get really cold too!!! I wonder what that is all about? Our circulation? My left hip (same side as revision) hurts too at times, esp. if I try to sleep on that side for awhile with a pillow between my knees. It must be from our knee trying to compensate for lack of developed muscles?
 
@Cementless the cold feet thing is weird! I had right foot pain and sensitivity after the procedure so I couldn’t wear socks, shoes , or have the bed or covers touch my foot. I haven’t read much about that symptom after surgery. But my feet are freezing! My whole body temperature has changed! I used to be hot all the time, now I wear my robe down here in sunny Florida mostly all the time.

My hip is on the surgery side as well. Sometimes it’s painful, other times uncomfortable. Especially at night because I can’t get the hip issue resolved. This symptom showed up the last week of my foot pain and haven’t been able to get rid of it. I’ve tried heat and ice...nothing works. Although the heat felt nice :)
 
Flsungirl. At going on 8 weeks ,I wouldn’t feel at all gun shy about heat. I jump in the jacuzzi 2 or 3 times a day and my knee loves it. Don’t know if you have access to jacuzzi or hot tub, but it’s one of the highlights of my day. Hot bath will work ,just keep adding hot water. Sounds like you have taken control of your PT sessions, even if you have not been back there. If my Therapist attempts to show me or tries to manipulate me, which is seldom, he knows I won’t let him push me beyond uncomfortable to pain threshold. When/If you go back,take that attitude with you and you will be fine. Again I like PT. It pushes me to work all the muscles tendons and ligaments in what I feel is a good way, and at 8 weeks I just played 9 holes of golf, so in my opinion it’s working. I don’t know if I would still have been playing golf if I had avoided PT ,possibly, but you just have to pick an approach that is comfortable to you ,and see how it goes.
 
@Softtail i truly wish I had a hot tub! We have a big garden tub but the hot water runs out before it’s at a comfortable level. But hot showers really do feel good! :bath:

I too have enjoyed PT until last week. And I decided to go back on Friday and discuss my concerns. I really don’t like being threatened with a MUA. Especially after the progress I was making. I felt wonderful after completing PT prior to that day.

I’m glad you’re out golfing! Must feel really good to be out and active. Especially without that horrible knee pain. Thanks for the encouragement! Have a wonderful Halloween :bolt:
 
Back
Top Bottom