TKR TKR September 10

Yes, fall weather is here. Each day is 1 step closer to longer, warm days. Love summer. Winter not so much.

Ok the start of day 3 after that last torture session at PT. The inside and outside of me knee is very tender to touch and uncomfortable when walking. My knee hasn’t been an issue since around the second week post op. The tight band is no longer on either side of my knee but still some tightness around scar area. Monday starts 7 week post op and I’m still irritated about the set back from PT. The weather is finally beautiful here in central Florida and I wish I could take advantage of it, but my knee says no. I will try and walk to end of driveway and back later on today, much less than the mile I was comfortable doing prior to last PT session.

My hip still feels wonky. But it doesn’t impede my sleeping like it did when my foot was an issue too. Heat or ice does nothing for the hip. Just popped an 800 mg ibuprofen which seems to give some relief. My feet are still freezing most of the time. Another weird symptom. This whole week I have slept normally, which in itself is such a huge difference, almost a month without even a nap! I couldn’t focus on anything during that period not even to watch tv. So glad the insomnia is gone!

My appetite is a little better. I weighed myself, never one of my favorite things to do, and have lost a little over 25 lbs! When this is all over I will again be active and hope this helps keep weight off. It’s been so long since I’ve been able to participate in anything, couldn’t even sit at the movies because of my knees.

And yes...I said knees! My left one doesn’t cause as much pain as the right one did. But it will be a very long time, if ever, I get another knee replacement!

Once again I am so thankful I found this forum. Everything I’ve been through has been experienced by someone on this forum. It’s given me piece of mind to go through other people’s journey and know that I wasn’t alone. Also that everyone’s surgery and recovery is different.

Thanks BoneSmart for letting me know I have companions in this journey. I don’t know where I’d be without this discovery.

Last edited:
I think a little bit of walking will be a good thing for you. Start with a really short distance and remember that you have to turn around and come back! Be sure and add that to your time. I was thrilled when I took my first walk outside. What I did wrong was to walk on uneven ground and too far. My pain increased for about 3 days. After that, I went back out, but did half of what I did before. I was then fine! Slow and easy does it!

@sistersinhim ive managed to some minor housework today. Taking the trash out and cleaned sinks in bathroom plus shook some rugs out. I’m now icing and elevating to stay ahead of the game. Glad to say ibuprofen 800 made this possible! I’m now off to watch Bram Stokers Dracula on BBC. Thanks for your suggestions and I think I’ll walk a few houses down and back late afternoon. The weather is gorgeous in the shade, low humidity. But the sun is still a scorcher. Looking forward to getting out of the house since I’ve been nowhere since Wednesday. Hoping tomorrow to get out to the store. We shall see!:walking:

Good going! Resting in between jobs is a great way to recuperate. I would rest 2x the time I was active.

You go girl!! Would love the scorching sun to go out in. Here we are def over autumn and into the rain and brutal damp and cold. Snow predicted overnight. And every step reminds me I’m now a walking barometer.
Enjoy your Saturday and way to get past it! :egypdance:

@traceys hahaha! I just couldn’t stand that cold wet rain anymore, or snow and ice! So I moved to Florida in the 90’s. This weather and until around April and May is so beautiful. Low humidity and temps in the 70’s daytime and 50’s - 60’s in the morning. Truly the best! I think ocean temp is still in the 80’s, but i wouldn’t know because my knee got jacked up on Wednesday! Arghhhhh

Yes watching Dracula with my iced and elevated knee is a great way to spend this day. So much different than those first few weeks after surgery. It feels very nice and I’m enjoying this movie. Hope you’re having a good day! Keep the healing up!

@sistersinhim just got up to get a cup of coffee. I’m going to finish this movie and relax for the rest of the day. It’s nice having the windows open with a great breeze today. First time air conditioning has been off in a long time! I do hope that I’m able to go for a walk before the weekend is over. My knee might be ok but my inner hip is not. It’s just the weirdest feeling. It feels pulled sometimes, heavy on other, and then sometimes it’s asleep. Or a combo of all 3. Ready for full recovery, although I know it’s still early! I wish it was almost 7 months instead of 7 weeks!

@flsungirl, if your other knee needs replacement, you now know what to expect. I think once you are completely recovered, you will realize that the pain and discomfort from surgery recovery is much better than the long-term pain from bad knees!

Just keep the positive outlook and you will do fine. PS, also helps to find some humor in our little challenges! I find it helps me bounce back from minor setbacks much faster. :whistle:

Thanks @NavyGunns . But I am in in no hurry to get the other one done. Although I should because all my insurance deductibles have been met! Haha. But I am not in any hurry. The left one doesn’t give me much pain. I’m good with the new knee. In a few years, maybe I’ll forget all the hassle this one has been. My orthopedic doctor told me he started outpatient surgery the day of my surgery. Since I got fit in at the last minute, a lot was not scheduled or handled correctly. Hopefully the next time they’ll be better organized. Thanks for your encouragement! I’m back to watching Red Dragon for my easy movie day!:snork:

@flsungirl , gosh must be :censored: frustrating being 'laid' up for half a week because of a professional's incompetence.
Sorry to hear the hip is still niggling - one would hope that while resting the knee it would clear itself.

I figured out my groin/hip issue. It was a really tight tendon. Found ways to stretch on the net.....felt good the stretch.

Then once i had identified the feeling of stretch, found a way i could do one while out walking.......discretely stopping an stretching lots.

After 2 days of this I finally had yesterday with no pain there, but still continue to stretch it. Dont know if this will apply to your hip....hope so
TKR September 10
The best thing now with sleeping is that in the morning we hope we have made another positive step up the recovery ladder.

Poked my toe in the ODIC yesterday.
Did more than normal housecleaning
Walked 1km to shops and back
Swept front yard
Then topped it off with a quick car wash.

Woke at 1am, bad aches, took 2xpanadol (not done for 2 weeks in the night).
Then awake for 2 hrs :gaah:
Thankfully got another 3 hrs sleep and feels fine this morning....quiet day in order me thinks. :chinstroke:

@flsungirl I am so glad to see someone else at 6-7 weeks post op who understands the need to lay down and rest in the afternoon. I found the decrease in pain at week 4 had me up in my feet a lot more and I tried to return to doing as much as I could all day. Walking, chores, even grocery shopping. I was down to maybe 1 pain pill a day. And then I discovered yesterday I can walk up and down the stairs normally instead of one at a time and WHAM that did my knee in. Today it’s swollen and painful to the point I had to dig out a Vicodin pill and take one just to get the pain under control. I felt like I just went backwards 3 weeks. And decided to just rest,elevate and ice all afternoon. Got into some TV shows I’ve missed and feel quite lazy. But then I see I’m not totally alone and it’s nice to know that this recovery really does have some pit stops . Hope your weekend plans all happen!!

@andpeaches hey there! It is so nice to talk to people on the same recovery line. Right after surgery I was up and walking. I’ve never had to use the walker after the first day, nor a cane. I finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel, until that last PT visit. First time my knee was swollen in a long time. I now hear and feel a click medially. I don’t like it! It’s weird... I still haven’t tried stairs except the baby ones at PT and going up and down big steps in my pool. I haven’t had any pain meds since week 2. I think I should have had more so I could have used as needed. But that ship has sailed!

I hope you’re better tomorrow. It sucks going backwards! I’m seriously thinking about not going back to PT. I was doing fine at home on days I didn’t go. But it was like going to the gym, didn’t want to go but after I always felt so much better with a major increase in energy. Last time messed me up and I’m still paying for it.

Definitely relax and take it easy. I’m continuing to do the same and hope tomorrow is better. It’s always changing!

@Kiwigirl62 stay away from the ODIC! But darn it feels so good to get things done on our own! I think it’s a chill weekend for us! I’m worried to try the hip stretch because last time that happened it was worse. Still having major inner hip issues and still have freezing cold feet! My knee is getting the stabbies off and on today. Still haven’t taken my walk. Hopefully before the weekend is over.

Also hope your sleep continues to get better. I’ve been consistent the whole week! So there’s a huge change that I’m loving! Have a good night or day! Not good with Aussie time ! Hahahahaha

Flsungirl ,I see you are 3 days behind me and feel bad you had a setback. I do the PT and fortunately it’s worked out fine for me. Oddly enough the only time I felt I overworked my knee was when I got in Y pool and did a lot of exercises there. I went to PT and he noticed my knee was a bit swollen,so we backed off for that day and he told me to take a day or two off from home exercises. All in all though starting week 8 it feels pretty good,and even swung a few golf clubs yesterday. It’s different approaches for different people ,and as long as you stay a bit active, ie chores, walking, housework, it should be fine without going back to PT. At least until you feel knee is moving forward again.

@Softtail good morning! Bit chilly here at 56 degrees this morning in Florida. I woke up feeling a lot less discomfort. My hip is just a little tender with a small pull feeling. Maybe it’s the cold weather? My knee feels pretty good. I’ve followed your thread and feel encouraged by it.

I’m thinking I might go back to PT. I want them to know they were overly aggressive on my last visit. The set back totally affected my recovery. I’m due back at work on November 13 and am really looking forward to getting my life back. Can’t wait to do some living!

Have a fabulous Sunday! And thanks for the advice!

Melanie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanDoWillDo